DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No more flying above the trees ?

iamcostas

Reactions
I don't dare to fly anymore my drone above the trees in my area. According to the airmaps there is only a danger precaution warning sign in our Neighbourhood.
Today , in the morning a big aircraft was flying to the nearest airbase (35km) and was flying so low, I believe around 50 or 60 meters above the ground ( the trees are nearly 30-35m), I got out of the house because of the loud noice and I spot the aircraft straightaway and clearly above our neigbourhood, it happened in seconds, and I thought omg if I was flying the drone a little bit above the trees and even worse near 120m above the ground , a disaster could happen. I can't imagine all the possible scenarios. I believe I wouldn't have even time to react and take the drone down.
Definitely no more flying above the trees at my place. After what happened this morning...

Our land here in the UK is occasionally used for a training route for the British Royal Air Force and it's not uncommon for two fighter jets to come screaming over, just a bit higher than the tree tops.

Telephone your local military Air Force base and ask if there's a set time period and even day of the week for such fly overs. There often is. You'll be surprised how helpful their staff can be if approached intelligently and responsibly. Then you won't need to worry.

Large aircrafts always appear lower than they are. What seemed to you like 60 meters, it was probably 3 times that, unless it was in an emergency procedure.
I hope they are much higher. ?. Sometimes when they fly above I am thinking to take a video just above the trees, but it is not possible. At the time I am going to run, setup the drone , connect the RC to the phone, turn on the drone and the RC, wait the djigo4 app to start and finally fly the drone up..... The aircraft is gone ?

As African wildlife writes the UK has quite a few areas where the RAF train by low flying.
I have driven alongside Loch Ness and been able to look 'down' on MRCA flying just above the surface. (probably a bit of exaggeration there).

Download Flightradar24 it shows 99% of the aircraft in the air there speed and altitude in real time. I see them over my house all the time , I'm thinking their like 2 or 3000 ft when in reality there 10 to 13000 ft

Download Flightradar24 it shows 99% of the aircraft in the air there speed and altitude in real time. I see them over my house all the time , I'm thinking their like 2 or 3000 ft when in reality there 10 to 13000 ft
Military aircraft usually doesn’t show up on the app.

Reactions: dronerdave
Military aircraft usually doesn’t show up on the app.
Yep and a lot of small private aircraft will not show either. I fly fixed wing off a private airport and being it's basically sparsely populated (no homes or occupied buildings) a lot of planes fly over low. But I agree it's hard to tell their height above ground and larger planes look lower when they're not. This plane didn't transmit and was about 50' AGL but we knew he was going to make a low pass very similar to a crop duster.DSC05217p s.jpg

Reactions: iamcostas
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair