DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"No motorized vehicles" ordinances

Magpie

Reactions
I'm finding a lot of parks and fields in my local cities often have ordinances or signs prohibiting motorized vehicles. The intent appears to be aimed at ground vehicles (sometimes there are examples listed like no cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc) with allowances for travel on paved roadways and parking areas. The blanket "motorized vehicle" statement though does seem to me like it would extend to drones, whether intentional or not. I've yet to see specific language around drones in any of the locations.

For folks here that encounter generic motorized vehicles signs, do you typically launch off-site (or even stay operating off-site), or am I interpreting those signs too strictly?

For reference, this is recreational only, and in parks and fields that often have no other people present, or they are distant. Just looking for nice, quiet, wide open areas. I might call my city to ask for my closest areas, but wondering this more generally as I am seeing it frequently.

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
This is a new one for me. I have never encountered such a sign.

We have those signs on pretty much all of our greenways but I take them to clearly mean ground based vehicles so pedestrians won't be run over. I will fly on/over those areas.
If you have doubts you can call parks and rec but their default answer (true or not) will be no. They care a lot about safety as they surely should but they never understand (in my experience) that we can launch from a nearby sidewalk and fly over the park legally (assuming airspace legal).
Edit to add that our parks that don't allow drones state this on a sign at the entrance to the park.

I'm finding a lot of parks and fields in my local cities often have ordinances or signs prohibiting motorized vehicles. The intent appears to be aimed at ground vehicles (sometimes there are examples listed like no cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc) with allowances for travel on paved roadways and parking areas. The blanket "motorized vehicle" statement though does seem to me like it would extend to drones, whether intentional or not. I've yet to see specific language around drones in any of the locations. For folks here that encounter generic motorized vehicles signs, do you typically launch off-site (or even stay operating off-site), or am I interpreting those signs too strictly?

For reference, this is recreational only, and in parks and fields that often have no other people present, or they are distant. Just looking for nice, quiet, wide open areas. I might call my city to ask for my closest areas, but wondering this more generally as I am seeing it frequently.

Your city council may have left some slack in the noose with sloppy word choice. I agree with others there is a difference between "vehicles" and "aircraft" which is why many cities use far more precise, all-inclusive language like this:

It is unlawful to use or operate motorized model aircraft, drones, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), motorized models such as cars, cycles, trucks or watercraft in any park, except as specifically designated for that use.

It is unlawful for any person to operate any motorized model car, aircraft, rocket or watercraft in any park, except as authorized by the city manager or his or her designee.

Technically, the second ordinance is also sloppy because instead of referring to "models such as...", it specifically enumerates "cars, cycles, trucks, or watercraft." Says nothing about "tanks" or "hovercraft" for example which are also popular with RC hobbyists.

Of course, it may not be easy to satisfactorily explain the significant nuance in wording to a police officer or judge.

Reactions: Magpie
Our various city (local council) bylaws, what you call ordinances, often include a ban on model aircraft, some specifically state drones too.
These are usually blanket bans at all parks under their control.
Most of these rules are generic, seem to come via blanket type bylaws put out by a national association of our local councils.

I ignore them in my local city area, and haven't ever had a problem flying just like you intend, with consideration and care . . . a remote part of selected parks that get minimal visitors, flying at times when many are at work, or early before many are out of bed.

Mind you, I only fly these when I haven't for a while and want to ensure everything is working as it should, updates and the likes are all working ok, mostly when I fly I just go somewhere well away from people and other scenes not totally devoid of signs of mankind.

I'm finding a lot of parks and fields in my local cities often have ordinances or signs prohibiting motorized vehicles. The intent appears to be aimed at ground vehicles (sometimes there are examples listed like no cars, motorcycles, trucks, etc) with allowances for travel on paved roadways and parking areas. The blanket "motorized vehicle" statement though does seem to me like it would extend to drones, whether intentional or not. I've yet to see specific language around drones in any of the locations.

For folks here that encounter generic motorized vehicles signs, do you typically launch off-site (or even stay operating off-site), or am I interpreting those signs too strictly?

I've encountered a sign like this in one of my local Fly Spots.
It's just a nature trail that runs through some fields on an old Plantation site.
I regularly fly there, and I've only encountered one individual who attempted to give Me grief over it.
I was filming some Deer, on a particularly gorgeous, foggy, morning, while no one else was on the trail. I was keeping My Mini 2 at a sufficient height so as to not spook, or disturb, the animals, when a Lady Hiker popped up and began to verbally bash Me for having a "Motorized Vehicle" on the trail.
I attempted to politely explain to Her that I had every right to be there, and, that technically, my vehicle was at least 350 ft above/away from the trail anyway.
She didn't believe any of the facts that I gave her, so, I simply ignored her until she walked away.
About 10 mins later, she showed back up with a Sheriff's deputy, and attempted to have me removed.
After showing him my credentials, a brief description of my intentions, and a quick Google search of the FAA website, the Officer told me that I had every right to fly there, and for Me to enjoy my morning.
Needless to say, "Karen" was pissed, and STILL gives Me dirty looks when she passes Me on the Trail. 😎

A drone is not a motorized vehicle unless you plan on shrinking yourself down to the size enough to ride on top of it.

The only real issue is taking off or landing on the restricted land, including where you and the drone are touching the ground.

Reactions: Greenflash
This is all good stuff, thank you for the posts. I definitely feel like the spirit of most of those signs is to prevent cars/motorcycles, but the language is probably just too wide open for a number of scenarios (great point about motorized wheelchairs and scooters). It seems like once the drone is in the air, there's not much they could do anyways without specific language around operating from the property as it's now an airspace question.

Can I ask a silly question: doesn't sUAV stand for small unmanned aerial vehicle?

Check your state's code statutes. There are definitions what constitutes motor vehicles or check your states Bureau of Motor Vehicles web site for references to definitions regarding motor vehicle definition.

Reactions: Magpie

I used to see a couple of "motorized vehicle" signs in my area and I usually stayed away from it. They have since updated their signs to include "drones" or similar language. So I think the original intent was to ban motorized gliders as well.

It is all dependent on how your state laws define motorized vehicles. Usually though, aircraft of any type are not included in the definition. Motorized vehicles are ground based.

Last edited:
Reactions: bitsbytes

Even if the park has no fly restrictions, if the flight is intitated outside the park you can fly over it legally. Just can't launch or land there.

Reactions: bitsbytes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent