DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No signal. But control still flies.

NickR

Reactions
I am fairly new at flying drone.
Today I took it out and flew it... after a while.. the app shows NO SIGNAL. It was however, still within sight.. so I used the RC to fly the drone closer to me and landed it.

Question.
1) No signal but I still had control of the drone... Is it referring to No GPS signal ? I didn't take a quick glance at the GPS strength at the time.

Obviously since I still could control the drone with my sticks.. it shouldn't refer to RC signal.

2) Could it be I have bad connection between the phone and the RC controller ?

Anybody had this issue ?
Thx.

The feed wouldnt have the go 4 app screen shot. I didnt screen shot the flight.

The usual suspects are a recent update (DJI or phone) or phone to RC connection. A quick search of Mavic "no signal" pointed to Go 4 as the culprit. When I unplugged my tablet from the RC then Go 4 showed Disconnected instead of no signal. Go 4 version 4.1.18 has been causing problems (it hosed my video feed) and I had to reinstall 4.1.15 which has been very steady.

I am fairly new at flying drone.
Today I took it out and flew it... after a while.. the app shows NO SIGNAL. It was however, still within sight.. so I used the RC to fly the drone closer to me and landed it.

Question.
1) No signal but I still had control of the drone... Is it referring to No GPS signal ? I didn't take a quick glance at the GPS strength at the time.

Obviously since I still could control the drone with my sticks.. it shouldn't refer to RC signal.

2) Could it be I have bad connection between the phone and the RC controller ?

Anybody had this issue ?
Thx.

This sounds like a simple issue with your DJI GO 4 app. An app problem can also cause "Aircraft DIsconnect" while in fact the RC shows all normal feeds from the MP.

It does happen from time to time, you'll minimise the chance by rebooting phone just before starting, so very little else is running.
Look at the controller display, usually it shows all normal - so it's an app issue.

if it happens at a crucial moment try pulling the cable and re-insert.
If still stuck, reboot the app or even reboot the phone while you hover.
You can fly without the app even if you have to RTH
Above all keep calm, if you aren't inputting stick movement it will only stay still..

Switch you phone to flight mode and close back ground apps. This fixes an awful lot of app crashes and disconnections.

This happened to me recently on my Samsung S6, latest software/firmware. Disconnected during flight, but still had RC controls. After the Mavic hovered for a while waiting for me to reboot/reconnect the phone, it started RTH. Unfortunately my RTH was very close to some bushes I had to immediately press the pause button to cancel RTH until I could manually land it with the RC without a phone.

This happened to me recently on my Samsung S6, latest software/firmware. Disconnected during flight, but still had RC controls. After the Mavic hovered for a while waiting for me to reboot/reconnect the phone, it started RTH. Unfortunately my RTH was very close to some bushes I had to immediately press the pause button to cancel RTH until I could manually land it with the RC without a phone.
Curious. Unless something has changed, RTH should not start if your app crashes. Depending on your settings it should only start if it loses connection to the RC or reaches a low battery condition. Perhaps it coincidentally reached the low battery state when it disconnected. I have unplugged my tablet from the RC mid-flight and not had it initiate RTH.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felonious
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7