DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No submarine mode? Into the drink...

ChallengerPilot

Reactions
The last words I said to my brother before he grabbed the remote to my drone was "don't crash it...or you bought it". He flew it for a few minutes and then put in the shallows of a fresh water lake. Maybe I should not have said anything. He has a Mavic but not much experience with them. I didn't think he would sink it though.

So, my options are this.

1.) Try to get this thing fixed..if it can even be fixed. (It has been drying for 5 days and will not connect.)
2.) Have him replace just the drone. (I have accessories that only work with the M2P)
3.) Or get a Mavic Air 2. I am not a pro drone user so.....I could probably be just fine with the Air 2

Is there any value in parting this thing out? I crashed my first Mavic 3+ years ago and messed it up pretty bad but sold it for parts.

Is it worth having DJI look at it? Again, it was in clean fresh water and only in the water for about 5 minutes.

My bro is a generous guy and I hate that this happened. I have been using the drone more lately and have some plans for more use in the future. Nothing commercial though...

Thoughts?

T

Bin the batteries for a starter. Very hard to say how much damage was caused but DJI could give you a quote.

I would cost a bare drone and battery then quote for repair...let ya bro choose the option he wants to do and maye you cover the dif if ya want a ma2

Last edited:
Reactions: Pedwards
If he was half decent he would have replaced it for you by now! What an idiot for flying an unfamiliar drone over water ..... YouTube probably has a video showing disassembly; open it up asap to dry the circuit board and motors (a hair dryer might help) and then try it with a second battery. Good luck. ?

Careful there dude. [Language removed by ADMIN] happens.

If he was half decent he would have replaced it for you by now! What an idiot for flying an unfamiliar drone over water ..... YouTube probably has a video showing disassembly; open it up asap to dry the circuit board and motors (a hair dryer might help) and then try it with a second battery. Good luck. ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The last words I said to my brother before he grabbed the remote to my drone was "don't crash it...or you bought it". He flew it for a few minutes and then put in the shallows of a fresh water lake. Maybe I should not have said anything. He has a Mavic but not much experience with them. I didn't think he would sink it though.

So, my options are this.

1.) Try to get this thing fixed..if it can even be fixed. (It has been drying for 5 days and will not connect.)
2.) Have him replace just the drone. (I have accessories that only work with the M2P)
3.) Or get a Mavic Air 2. I am not a pro drone user so.....I could probably be just fine with the Air 2

Is there any value in parting this thing out? I crashed my first Mavic 3+ years ago and messed it up pretty bad but sold it for parts.

Is it worth having DJI look at it? Again, it was in clean fresh water and only in the water for about 5 minutes.

My bro is a generous guy and I hate that this happened. I have been using the drone more lately and have some plans for more use in the future. Nothing commercial though...

Thoughts?

T
As your brother has just bought this drone, I would give him his new purchase, so it’s his problem!
You however can buy a nice new Mavic or add to the “donation “ and buy a Pro.

I'm thinking that when you hand over the controls..C'est la vie..if you know what I mean..but... on a happier note... I promise you would love the Mavic Air 2

My Mavic 2 Pro ended up in swimming pool. I sent it to DJI and they told me without hesitation it would be $1287.00 to repair or replace. I kept asking which parts had failed and they would never answer me. Only thing they would say is the repair or replacement would be $1287.00. I told them to send it back to me, which they did. Looking for someone else to give me a quote. I have found a couple of repair places online but in small print they say something to the effect of they don’t take in drones that have been submerged in water.

Sorry for your loss.

If you consider it's like dropping your laptop into the pool and then asking someone what's wrong with it....

There are a number of threads about reviving DJI submarines. I dried out my Spark after a fresh water swim and it’s been fine. But I started the resuscitation immediately.

You can Blow dry all parts. #2 Put drone in rice W/plastic bag for a couple weeks. #Don:t turn it on until its dry. Because it dip in fresh water, you may have 50 % chance of it working. Check your battery for swelling. Remember a guy put it in a plastic bag for 3 days and it worked. Hope you did not power on when wet, that would for sure make something smoke. Even if you get it working, it would not be dependable. Have not heard good results over the years, but you can rebuild it your self. Buy parts from pilots that crashed, and salvage parts to rebuild. Good idea to invest in another drone, then you have one flying while working on the drone that went for a swim. Best wishes to you.

You can Blow dry all parts. #2 Put drone in rice W/plastic bag for a couple weeks. #Don:t turn it on until its dry. Because it dip in fresh water, you may have 50 % chance of it working. Check your battery for swelling. Remember a guy put it in a plastic bag for 3 days and it worked. Hope you did not power on when wet, that would for sure make something smoke. Even if you get it working, it would not be dependable. Have not heard good results over the years, but you can rebuild it your self. Buy parts from pilots that crashed, and salvage parts to rebuild. Good idea to invest in another drone, then you have one flying while working on the drone that went for a swim. Best wishes to you.
How do you even start when you have no idea what actually failed. That’s why I asked DJI on 2 separate occasions what part or parts failed and they wouldn’t say. I would have no idea where to start. I highly doubt that everything in the case failed.
Who repairsdrones that have been submerged in water? Anybody know?
OP, I’d really like to know what they tell you about yours. Hope you get better news than I did.

How do you even start when you have no idea what actually failed. That’s why I asked DJI on 2 separate occasions what part or parts failed and they wouldn’t say. I would have no idea where to start. I highly doubt that everything in the case failed.
Who repairsdrones that have been submerged in water? Anybody know?
OP, I’d really like to know what they tell you about yours. Hope you get better news than I did.

DJI, in common with most manufacturers of complex electronic devices, will not try to repair water-damaged equipment because it is virtually impossible to assess the long-term effects. They just replace it - hence the lack of detailed explanation and the estimated cost.

Reactions: Cashed
DJI is very specific about batteries that have taken a swim. Dispose of them in the appropriate manner.

DJI is very specific about batteries that have taken a swim. Dispose of them in the appropriate manner.
Have you thought about why DJI makes this recommendation?

I don't know. I have a suspicion however it is likely due to the unacceptable risk of shipping defective lipo packs.

There is no reason ton think the electronics in the battery is any more vulnerable than those in the drone.

Have you thought about why DJI makes this recommendation?

I don't know. I have a suspicion however it is likely due to the unacceptable risk of shipping defective lipo packs.

There is no reason ton think the electronics in the battery is any more vulnerable than those in the drone.

It’s not the electronics in the battery, although they are a concern - water and lithium do not sit happily together. In fact if they do mix together they will react and part from each other explosively.

Reactions: Jeff A
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27