DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No video, gimbal status N/A, can't read SD, no camera control

Wokka Wokka

Reactions
I did a quick search, and found some similar but not quite the same problems, none of those solutions worked, so hopefully this is enough info...
I'm happy to take this thing apart, (as is evident by disassembling the camera/gimbal to replace the video cable and successful replacement of ESC board), so any advice or ideas gratefully received (except the "send it to DJI" ones, I can buy the bits and do it cheaper myself once I diagnose the problem). Currently I suspect the camera/gimbal control board.

Problem?
No video displayed, no control of camera or gimbal.
Gimbal shows as 'N/A' in the overall status.
No camera icon or settings in main menu (3 dots, top right of Go4 app)
Air Encoder (0x800000) error.
Usually a Vision Sensor Communication error as well, but only 90% of the time.
SD card cannot be read or formatted.
Gimbal slaps about quite violently at start up, and sometimes at apparently random times, some posts I've read say this happens to them all the time, others that it isn't normal.
Camera always ends up pointing downwards.

Was unit in a crash?
Definitely.
Was bought second hand from someone who had stuffed it into the ground quite hard (judging by the damage to the aluminium bottom plate - It cracked round the front right screw hole) - yes it was dirt cheap enough to be worth fixing up.
Original issues were this camera problem, and no action from the right rear prop (since fixed by new ESC board).
Gimbal took a hit (cable cover on lower right side and bottom of camera show some damage).

What have you tried so far?
SD card - have tried formatting in windows PC, Mac and GoPro first, still not recognised. Only currently have one Micro SD card (Sandisk Extreme U3, 16 GB), waiting on delivery of 2 new cards.

One of the flat cables from the camera control board to the main board was damaged, and has been replaced (came as a set of 3 cables, so I replaced the other one to the main board, and the one between the main board and ESC as well, since I could).

Some strands of the video signal cable looked slightly damaged, so replaced that in case that was causing the lack of video. Have not yet replaced gimbal ribbon cable, as the gimbal moves and the cable shows no signed of damage).

Have tried downgrading, then upgrading firmware, which took a few goes (possibly due to dodgy internet connection, Australia is the Third World of the Broadband).

Firmware is the current latest version (.500 on aircraft and RC)

Resetting camera results in "Restting Failed"

Forward vision sensors calibrate OK, and the onscreen 'RADAR' display seems to be working OK also, though the comms error still appears.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?

Samsung Galaxy S9 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S3

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?

Both at latest (.500), refreshed today after install of new ESC board.

What Go app version are you using?

Any modification?

No

Did you change anything or install any apps?

No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

Hopefully clicking the thumbnails brings up a bigger image....

Gimbal NA.jpg

Status.jpg

So nobody has seen a similar thing?

I'd like to be able to rule out stuff, like the camera itself, but am not sure how that would be done.

Having a bit more confidence before ordering a new camera/gimbal control board would be nice in case I'm about to waste money.

Well, today I don't have the Vision Sensor Comms error, which is strange because I just tried some things to see if any faults came up, including disconnecting them!

I disconnected each of the two flat cables between the Gimbal/Camera interface board and the main board, one at a time, then both at once. Nothing changed, still just had the Air Encoder error, but no Vision Sensor error, which I would have expected when both cables were disconnected and there was no way fro the signal to get from the Interface board to the main board, but the Go4 app told me my vision system was Normal. Strange.

I am also chasing down the aircarft encoder error 0x80000. I actually got rid of it somehow by disconnecting the LVDS/video feed camera at the camera barrel and at the camera control board but then this also brought on a gimbal gyroscope error as a result but the encoder error is now gone...i think, well at least its not showing up again. Next I will replace the camera ribbon cable and LVDS. One thing I also had to do was calibrate my vision system camera in front and on the bottom of the AC. I was getting random errors with that but after calibrating with dji assitant 2, that eliminated that problem. I doubt the two issues were related.

Reactions: Gundamx9x1
I have this same problem... Gimbal N/A, no SD card and no video feed. The 0x800000 error even after replacing the gimbal ribbon and video cable.

Tried reflashing the latest 1.04.0500 firmware but errors everytime at 40%... Drone restarts and the update fails. Even tried Dumldore 3.20 to flash... Completes successfully but the firmware does not get updated. Tried downgrading... Still no luck.

Anyone find a solution yet?

Reactions: Gundamx9x1
Update:

I ended up fixing my issue by replacing the gimbal PCB that sits on top of the gimbal/camera (fixed the gimbal self calibration issue - no more gyroscope/gimbal overload errors) AND one of the ribbon cables that connects the gimbal PCB and lower vision board (fixed the video transmission issue) I figured out the vision board ribbon cable issue by simply unplugging the ribbon cables on the gimbal PCB one by one to see which cable triggered an error. In my case this particular cable when unplugged did not trigger any errors hence I figured it may be bad.

Prior to all of this, I did try to change to change the camera barrel to get rid of the gyroscope/video transmission error and that didn’t work nor did a new LVDS cable.

140D1540-579B-4B1C-8EF7-4E57657FC2BB.jpeg

7AF7E14D-691C-4BA0-A8D2-35B52439BDF6.jpeg

Last edited:
I have this same problem... Gimbal N/A, no SD card and no video feed. The 0x800000 error even after replacing the gimbal ribbon and video cable.

Tried reflashing the latest 1.04.0500 firmware but errors everytime at 40%... Drone restarts and the update fails. Even tried Dumldore 3.20 to flash... Completes successfully but the firmware does not get updated. Tried downgrading... Still no luck.

Anyone find a solution yet?

Have you tried a IMU and gimbal calibration?Have you tried to replace any of the hardware?
If not, I would start with the calibrations first and then with the simple/less expensive parts. Video signal flows from the camera barrel to the gimbal PCB to the vision board through the LVDS and another ribbon cable. Hope that helps.

I have not done an IMU calibration yet. I am unable to perform a gimbal calibration because I have a Gimbal Status N/A message, meaning that I do not have the gimbal settings icon in options...
I have already replaced my gimbal ribbon and LVDS cable(the original seems undamaged upon inspection). When I turn on the drone the gimbal does make a knocking sound. Once it has booted up I have the 0x800000 error in the Go 4 App as well as No SD card. I'm also unable to update/downgrade the firmware...

here is my thread: Please help! 0x800000 error, no Gimbal Status option in the Options menu and no SD card.

Update:

I ended up fixing my issue by replacing the gimbal PCB that sits on top of the gimbal/camera (fixed the gimbal self calibration issue - no more gyroscope/gimbal overload errors) AND one of the ribbon cables that connects the gimbal PCB and lower vision board (fixed the video transmission issue) I figured out the vision board ribbon cable issue by simply unplugging the ribbon cables on the gimbal PCB one by one to see which cable triggered an error. In my case this particular cable when unplugged did not trigger any errors hence I figured it may be bad.

Prior to all of this, I did try to change to change the camera barrel to get rid of the gyroscope/video transmission error and that didn’t work nor did a new LVDS cable.

View attachment 73274

View attachment 73275
I'm thinking this could be my issue... I'll have to order the cables that go from the gimbal pcb to the lower vision board(hopefully this fixes my 0x8000000 error). But this still does not solve my no sd card issue...

Reactions: shot_by_SU
I'm thinking this could be my issue... I'll have to order the cables that go from the gimbal pcb to the lower vision board(hopefully this fixes my 0x8000000 error). But this still does not solve my no sd card issue...

Have you tried a different SD card or formatting the one you have?

I replaced the video cable already in trying to resolve this..no benefit. I just ordered a new Gimbal control board and PCB ribbon flex cables. We'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• 2019-09-22_23-57-05.jpg
    2019-09-22_23-57-05.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 27
Were you able to find a resolution to this issue?
My issue was damage to the main board (the bottom one, below the ESC board) the crash had broken the front left connector on the board. Possibly there was other damage to the board, not sure.
I ended up buying another crashed one (different damage) and putting the bits together into one working one (with spare parts left over).

My issue was damage to the main board (the bottom one, below the ESC board) the crash had broken the front left connector on the board. Possibly there was other damage to the board, not sure.
I ended up buying another crashed one (different damage) and putting the bits together into one working one (with spare parts left over).
Thanks for taking the time to reply and give me one more idea for what could be the cause. Glad you fixed your Mavic.

• The new 32GB Sandisk Extremes arrived. With the new memory cards, the same symptoms persisted (Gimbal is not found (N/A), Unable to format card using the app, 0x800000 Err, No video, Gimbal moving too fast when homing).
  • The new Control board arrived (Small one on top of the Gimbal). Not a fix.
  • The new Ribbon Flex Cables arrived. These are the ones that go from the replaced Control Board to the Main Board. It fixed symptoms and added new symptoms as follows: (Gimbal is not found (N/A), Unable to format card using the app, 0x800000 Error, No video, Gimbal moving too fast when homing, New Error Gimbal Overloaded)
To address the no video issue, I one again ordered a new Camera Signal cable to see if I got a bad second cable. Otherwise it might be the camera itself.

After head scratching for a while, I found that the Gimbal arm is bent. It's so subtle that it's hard to see. New Gimbal Arm assembly is on the way.

• The new 32GB Sandisk Extremes arrived. With the new memory cards, the same symptoms persisted (Gimbal is not found (N/A), Unable to format card using the app, 0x800000 Err, No video, Gimbal moving too fast when homing).
  • The new Control board arrived (Small one on top of the Gimbal). Not a fix.
  • The new Ribbon Flex Cables arrived. These are the ones that go from the replaced Control Board to the Main Board. It fixed symptoms and added new symptoms as follows: (Gimbal is not found (N/A), Unable to format card using the app, 0x800000 Error, No video, Gimbal moving too fast when homing, New Error Gimbal Overloaded)
To address the no video issue, I one again ordered a new Camera Signal cable to see if I got a bad second cable. Otherwise it might be the camera itself.

After head scratching for a while, I found that the Gimbal arm is bent. It's so subtle that it's hard to see. New Gimbal Arm assembly is on the way.
Were you ever able to get it up and working? I'm gathering that I might need a new main core board, but I cannot find one at a reasonable price.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa