DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No video playback after download onto Mac

KODOphoto

Reactions
Hi All, I could use some help here. MA2 working great for the last few weeks - no issues. Today only one video out of 10 played back visibly both before and after download onto a Mac. OS 10.15. Tried 2 other micro SD cards. Same issue. The files appear to be downloaded and saved to my computers external drive but I get black screen on playback in both MP4 and mov formats. Firmware is updated. Plays fine on my iPhone 10 when connected to controller. What gives?

Last edited:
Hi All, I could use some help here. MA2 working great for the last few weeks. Today only one video out of 10 played back after downloading onto a Mac. OS 10.15. Tried 2 other micro SD cards. Same issue. The files appear to be downloaded and saved to my computer, black screen on playback in both MP4 and mov formats. Plays fine on my iPhone 10 when connected. What gives?
I just had the same issue, apparently macs don't play well with the .265 codec, so change your settings to the .264 codec and you'll be fine. Or, spend a couple grand on a new mac desktop that can handle the .265 format! :)

Reactions: Thomas B and ven
I just had the same issue, apparently macs don't play well with the .265 codec, so change your settings to the .264 codec and you'll be fine. Or, spend a couple grand on a new mac desktop that can handle the .265 format! :)

Hey Nonprophet, thanks for that. I changed it and it works fine now. But what about the footage I took this morning on 265? Do you know if I can I recover it?

Yes agree 100% , change codec 265 to 264. My vids were jerky, 264 stopped that. Also if using apple , switch mp4 to MOV and try that to.

A side note, i took a few vids today, tracking my lad on a run(MA2). I tried again 2.7 and 4k with codec 265, soon as i plugged the drone into my ageing imac, jerky replay. Before i gave in, i uploaded to my cloud, then from cloud to youtube. Long story short, the playback is fine. So if you plan on viewing on youtube and storing footage there, not all is lost!. Its only a problem with 265 on older computers. As long as you upload to youtube, you can play back on the imac fine(or so i have found out today.........its still a learning curve). But i will switch back to codec 264 , so i can actually enjoy the footage prior to uploading to youtube if makes sense.

Yes agree 100% , change codec 265 to 264. My vids were jerky, 264 stopped that. Also if using apple , switch mp4 to MOV and try that to.

A side note, i took a few vids today, tracking my lad on a run(MA2). I tried again 2.7 and 4k with codec 265, soon as i plugged the drone into my ageing imac, jerky replay. Before i gave in, i uploaded to my cloud, then from cloud to youtube. Long story short, the playback is fine. So if you plan on viewing on youtube and storing footage there, not all is lost!. Its only a problem with 265 on older computers. As long as you upload to youtube, you can play back on the imac fine(or so i have found out today.........its still a learning curve). But i will switch back to codec 264 , so i can actually enjoy the footage prior to uploading to youtube if makes sense.
Great advice. I'll give that a try. Thanks, ven.

Hi All, I could use some help here. MA2 working great for the last few weeks - no issues. Today only one video out of 10 played back visibly both before and after download onto a Mac. OS 10.15. Tried 2 other micro SD cards. Same issue. The files appear to be downloaded and saved to my computers external drive but I get black screen on playback in both MP4 and mov formats. Firmware is updated. Plays fine on my iPhone 10 when connected to controller. What gives?
Are you opening your Photos app it should download straight to that?

I'll give that a try too. Thanks, Jet Skier

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro with 32 G of RAM, an SSD and 7 core (I think) processor; even it does not like the 265 codec, at least not with Final Cut Pro or Filamora. I gave up and just use 264.

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro with 32 G of RAM, an SSD and 7 core (I think) processor; even it does not like the 265 codec, at least not with Final Cut Pro or Filamora. I gave up and just use 264.
yup that’s like me I have the same computer you do it sounds like and it will do 265 but it has a barrel distortion and I can’t get rid of that I don’t know how so I use 264 it cuts through that like butter

Hey Nonprophet, thanks for that. I changed it and it works fine now. But what about the footage I took this morning on 265? Do you know if I can I recover it?
I have the same issue with my old 2010 iMac. Once you import it into video editing software, it will play and you can view it.

Handbrake is a wonderful, free, opensource video converter app for mac that can convert .265 into .264 ;)

Handbrake is a wonderful, free, opensource video converter app for mac that can convert .265 into .264 ;)
I'm total noob at post vid processing. Is there any advantage to shooting in .265 then converting to .264, versus shooting in .264 to begin with?

I'm total noob at post vid processing. Is there any advantage to shooting in .265 then converting to .264, versus shooting in .264 to begin with?
there’s no advantage there .just shoot in 264. If you shoot in 265 it enables the 10 bit color profile but it also creates other issues like barrel distortion I have opted not to use 265 you can still do a fair amount of color correction in 264

Reactions: Made2Phly

Well, that's no problem, all the videos that have been made already will be uploaded the way they are If you want to improve the quality of your videos then you should record in 1280x720 because youtube will resize the videos if you don't upload it in the correct resolutions, I have been testing around with all kinds of settings but youtube will always screw up the quality if the resolution is not right

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98