DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No waypoints is dealbreaker.

Rogerc

Reactions
Bought the bundle from B and H. Flown the drone for five or six days. But without proper way points in the regular video format it is to restricted. Probably gonna send it back because of this lack of waypoints. Are use waypoints all the time with my M2P. May check out the litchi before I make a final decision. But I don’t think it is complete autonomous waypoints.
Really can’t believe this craft does not include proper way points. Does anybody know if they can add this in firmware updates later?

Bought the bundle from B and H. Flown the drone for five or six days. But without proper way points in the regular video format it is to restricted. Probably gonna send it back because of this lack of waypoints. Are use waypoints all the time with my M2P. May check out the litchi before I make a final decision. But I don’t think it is complete autonomous waypoints.
Really can’t believe this craft does not include proper way points. Does anybody know if they can add this in firmware updates later?
For me, Litchi is not good enough, not even close!
I already made a post about it on DJI Forum: DJI - PLEASE Add REAL WAYPOINTS to Air 2/2S & Mavic 3

Reactions: thispilothere
Does anybody know if they can add this in firmware updates later?
Most likely, yes they can.
Will they? IMO - if they haven't by now, most likely not.

When I was deciding which model to buy last year, anything that uses the FLY app was a deal-breaker for me. I ended up with a like-new used MPP, love it!

Last edited:
I feel your pain! I sold my M2P because it was long in the tooth(I regret this very much). I have the Air2S and it is OK but I also really loved Way Points! When I review my photos and videos between the two, the M2P wins out! I am now considering finding a gently used M2P.

Reactions: EpicFlight
Most likely, yes they can.
Will they? IMO - if they haven't by now, most likely not.

When I was deciding which model to buy last year, anything that uses the FLY app was a deal-breaker for me. I ended up with a like-new used MPP, love it!

I agree that they probably could but wouldn't. DJI appears to have moved on from providing waypoints in their consumer drones as none of the recent releases have them.

As for the Fly App, I would not let that deter you from any of the newer drones. Having had multiple drones use Go and multiple that use Fly, the Fly app is better. For a while there were a few features of Go that "power users" liked that were missing with Fly. Most of those features have all been added into the Fly App. While a few things are a little different, and change isn't easy for some -- at this point the Fly app does more, and is generally easy to use as well.

Reactions: umanbean
I agree that they probably could but wouldn't. DJI appears to have moved on from providing waypoints in their consumer drones as none of the recent releases have them.

As for the Fly App, I would not let that deter you from any of the newer drones. Having had multiple drones use Go and multiple that use Fly, the Fly app is better. For a while there were a few features of Go that "power users" liked that were missing with Fly. Most of those features have all been added into the Fly App. While a few things are a little different, and change isn't easy for some -- at this point the Fly app does more, and is generally easy to use as well.
Great post, thank you... I was not aware of the changes to fly app. Still, the models that use it do not have onboard waypoints.

What year is your Z? :)

I believe that DJI will only offer waypoints in their Enterprise drones in the future. It looks to me that the Fly app is geared to easy-to-use consumer drones. If you want to use a DJI consumer drone for waypoints, you'll probably be stuck with virtual sticks.

Reactions: umanbean
Litchi just doesn't do a good job.
I'm interested in your take as to why Litchi doesn't do a good enough job for you? Can you elaborate?
While quite a bit more complicated DroneLink is much more sophisticated, though has a steeper learning curve. While I haven't tried it yet, there is also Maven. What would satisfy your need for waypoints?

Litchi just doesn't do a good job.
A good job of what? Under what conditions?

Litchi does a great job on DJI drones whose firmware allows onboard waypoints. It's not Litchi's fault if DJ I changes their firmware to not allow onboard waypoints.

A good job of what? Under what conditions?

Litchi does a great job on DJI drones whose firmware allows onboard waypoints. It's not Litchi's fault if DJ I changes their firmware to not allow onboard waypoints.
No, it's not Litchi's fault.

But blame isn't what people are paying for. Functionality is.

So the point stands: Litchi doesn't deliver either. It does it's best to execute way points, orbits, etc. through the Virtual Stick interface, but can't produce usable video.

Yes, it's DJI's fault. Doesn't change the fact Litchi doesn't work well enough.

But blame isn't what people are paying for.

Yes, it's DJI's fault. Doesn't change the fact Litchi doesn't work well enough.
Let's be clear --- 'Doesn't work well enough' for models that don't do on-board waypoints, orbits, etc.

Anyone who pays for it knowing (or not) that intelligent flight modes are 'virtual sticks' on their drone model is either not paying attention or didn't do their homework.

I paid for it with my first Phantom, a 3 Standard, in 2017 so I've more than gotten my money's worth out of it.... and still happily use it with my MPP to its full potential.

Reactions: DJ Wes
Reactions: DJ Wes
Not to everyone.

I realize we were talking about two different generations of drones here, but blanket statements were made regarding the overall usefulness and functionality of litchi, with no qualifiers.

And
Again. It was a statement made for the functionality of Litchi for an A2S in an A2S section of the forum. Thumbswayup
RUFFSTUFF and EpicFlight were on topic and were answering the OP on his issue. They were not blanket statements for other drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird