DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Non-107 Realtor use.

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Do you know some Realtors who use non-107 operators? Or fly themselves without a 107?

Share this with them.

Do you know some Realtors who use non-107 operators? Or fly themselves without a 107?

Share this with them.

Excellent letter Vic. I hope it reaches all those who fly Drones for other than Recreational Purposes, and encourages them to move forward with their Part 107 Certification.
B52-D

Last edited:
Excellent letter Vic. I hope it reaches all those who fly Drones for other than Recreational Purposes, and encourages them to move forward with their Part 107 Certification.
B52-D
Sure, I saved your article to my reading file so it is quickly available for me to send/share with someone who needs direction down the educational trail.
Blue Skys and Happy Contrails. ➰

When my sister put her house on the market the photographer the realtor sent apparently didn't even check the location and realized too late that he needed an SFOC to fly there. Lots of dodgy operators out there…

Interesting how DJI, the most prolific drone manufacturer in the world can go to the trouble of creating and maintaining a geofence system, but can't be bothered to, even in electronic form, publish or forward the rules of whatever aviation authority exists in the country of distribution. People buy drones and aren't advised of the Trust test let alone links to the rules of the FAA (US). I don't remember, but I don't recall even getting advice about registration.

Interesting how DJI, the most prolific drone manufacturer in the world can go to the trouble of creating and maintaining a geofence system, but can't be bothered to, even in electronic form, publish or forward the rules of whatever aviation authority exists in the country of distribution. People buy drones and aren't advised of the Trust test let alone links to the rules of the FAA (US). I don't remember, but I don't recall even getting advice about registration.

DJI does in fact provide (in electronic form - PDF downloads), very detailed and specific notices and links advising their customers on this very topic. Below is a screen shot from page 10 (of 15) from the Mavic 2 Disclaimer And Safety Guidelines Document

I am sure they put similar in every one of their products but I guess the problem is that there is SO much information in these documents that many never read each of their included PDF's fully. Myself I read only the owners manual because I know the rules but I would agree it might help if these types of things were far more conspicuous for new pilot's

DJI Notices.jpg

What would be more beneficial is to have the stores force you to take the TRUST test before getting your purchase out of the store or delivered to your home. At least then they might have some idea on the do's and dont's.

What would be more beneficial is to have the stores force you to take the TRUST test before getting your purchase out of the store or delivered to your home. At least then they might have some idea on the do's and dont's.
The process of requiring that would be a monumental headache. But one of the FAA panels I'm on is working on putting something together for retailers and others to hand out to customers.

Educating new drones owners is a tough nut to crack. But we're working on it in that group.

Reactions: BigAl07
For years now I have thought that regulations similar to what some states do for motorcycles over a certain size could be implemented. In the state of Florida you have to have an endorsement on your driver's license to purchase from a dealer.

Drones should be similar - go to your local retailer and the only drones on the shelf are toys with little size and range. To get the advanced stuff, present the correct documents first.

Unfortunately this is not likely to happen.

For years now I have thought that regulations similar to what some states do for motorcycles over a certain size could be implemented. In the state of Florida you have to have an endorsement on your driver's license to purchase from a dealer.

Drones should be similar - go to your local retailer and the only drones on the shelf are toys with little size and range. To get the advanced stuff, present the correct documents first.

Unfortunately this is not likely to happen.
Not only is it unlikely, it's impossible. The system to do that would be a nightmare to write, and impossible to enforce.

Not only is it unlikely, it's impossible. The system to do that would be a nightmare to write, and impossible to enforce.
I agree it would be hard/impossible for the FAA - it would take individual state legislators, but here again - we know this is unlikely.

I agree it would be hard/impossible for the FAA - it would take individual state legislators, but here again - we know this is unlikely.
States are allowed to do that. It would be Federally preempted.

In Canada you must have a certificate, either basic or advanced, to legally fly a drone ≥250 g. No exception for recreational use. And there's an age limit (14/16+, younger flyers must be supervised by an older pilot with the appropriate license).

I have yet to find a big box store that mentions this, either in signage or from sales staff, even when I'm "shopping for a present for my 8-year-old grandniece".

I've suggested to Transport Canada that requiring a simple one-page flyer listing the information on their website be given out with every sale would be a simple way of letting people know the requirements.

States are allowed to do that. It would be Federally preempted.
Hmm, I'm curious. Are you saying the FAA or NTSB would preempt? I am curious because to me, this seems to fall squarely under commerce as opposed to anything to do with the NAS or transportation - similar to the motorcycle example. States can and do regulate the sales of just about anything do they not?

Hmm, I'm curious. Are you saying the FAA or NTSB would preempt? I am curious because to me, this seems to fall squarely under commerce as opposed to anything to do with the NAS or transportation - similar to the motorcycle example. States can and do regulate the sales of just about anything do they not?
Congress has given the FAA sole authority for all things aviation related. That includes additional requirements for drone use. NC and MN are two states that do this, and so far no one has challenged it. Although I'm hearing MN is going to be dropping or changing some of their rules for drones.

States cannot require additional registration or requirements to fly a drone. Requiring a POP registration of sorts would violate the FAA's sole authority.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Thanks so much for sharing!

Not to be too terribly critical of realtors, but my experience growing up in a beach town showed how silly easy it was to become one. It seemed that nearly every divorced mom in town became a realtor. You simply took some CC courses and took the license exam. The course work and the exam are, well, pretty simplistic. At least compared to some of the exams in other fields, lest say my Geologist or Civil Engineer exams or even my commercial pilot's ones.

So they not being aware of the rules is not surprising. Remember these are the same people that let their kids drive ATV's & golf carts, bring dogs into restaurants and so on. There is a general ignorance of the rules and this is coupled with a sense of entitlement. It is kind of like when I was living in Italy, my friend was driving the wrong way on a one way street (old medieval style town, all streets where one way). I pointed to the sign and mentioned it. He replied, "those signs, they are for the "little people.""

Personally, I just shed my last vestige of property in California. I hired a photographer I had used before and told my realtor, this is who we are using. He had a subcontractor that did the drone work, who was 107. The house sold in 13 hours, I don't think the drone work clinched it. It is interesting that Laguna Beach is a "Drone Free Zone." Which is pretty much ignored, since they don't own the airspace. The list of things you can't do there is pretty long, kind of why I felt somebody else should enjoy the property

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike