DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Non-Drones 250 grams is a Tello a "non-drone"

Possums

Reactions
" wish there was a way to shave 50 grams off the takeoff weight of a DJI Spark. Like... if they could make a lesser capacity ultralight battery for it maybe."
I would bet you can shave off 50 grams and it would still fly. I have several and will give it a try. But.. and the but is will that make it legal as a "non-drone". Or is a Tello a "non-drone", that the FAA will worry about knocking down aircraft? Or do the little 25 grams drones that Walmart sells still have to meet all the drone criteria?

I would bet you can shave off 50 grams and it would still fly. I have several and will give it a try. But.. and the but is will that make it legal as a "non-drone". Or is a Tello a "non-drone", that the FAA will worry about knocking down aircraft? Or do the little 25 grams drones that Walmart sells still have to meet all the drone criteria?

I know you don't have to register them if the weigh under 250 grams, but what regulations do they have to meet if they are under 250 grams? - or in the case of the "Tellos" at 85 grams? I just gave my kid a couple of Tellos for the grand-kids to play with and told him not to worry about it.

??????

Maybe post this in Tello Pilots.:confused:

In Australia under 250 gms just means that you can fly it closer to airports. All other aviation rules still apply.

Weight is not the only criterion for classification, simply being below a certain weight limit does not exempt you from all regulations.
There's plenty of reading material our in the web regarding the legal aspects of UAV flying...
The only way to be fully exempt is possibly sticking to drones explicitly classified as toys ("suitable for children under age") and indoor use only. Having a camera on board usually qualifies as "no toy", regardless of weight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun