DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

None 4G tablet?

Big.M

Reactions
Recently brought a Mavic Air and am flying it with my P20 Pro. Just wondering what I would lose in buying a WiFi only tablet to fly with?

I'd be happy to use my phone as a hot-spot if that would fill the gaps of using a WiFi only tablet.

Not after a tablet recommendation, but if you've got on I'd like to avoid apple of possible?

I can't think of anything you'd miss out on really. Most people fly with airplane mode turned on to avoid calls and messages interrupting the flying. I use my old phone without a sim card so in effect that's WiFi only

Last edited:
You do not need WiFi to fly but you do need GPS for some modes to work properly.

Thats what I mean. I believe its just the RTH function that is limited, but if RTH is set by the drone at take off it will use its internal GPS? Do you know of any more?
RTH position (homepoint) is set in the drone at takeoff. If you land at a different spot and take off again a new homepoint will be created. If you move while flying and want to set RTH to your new position then whatever is running Go 4 needs GPS capability. There are some tracking modes that also require GPS on your display but I do not use them so cannot accurately state which ones need it. Your coordinates are also needed to show your position on the map and would be very helpful when using the Find My Drone app to show both your location and your drone.

Reactions: dawgpilot and Big.M
Thats what I mean. I believe its just the RTH function that is limited, but if RTH is set by the drone at take off it will use its internal GPS? Do you know of any more?
If you are going for an Android tablet, the discussion about GPS is unnecessary since almost every Androud device has GPS anyway.
Wifi only is fine for flying. I've been doing it for 5 years.
If for some reason you really needed internet data, it's easy to temporarily hotspot from your phone.

If you were looking for a good non-fruit flavoured flying tablet, Huawei's M3 and M5 are about the best available.

Reactions: Big.M
Hi. There is just one more thing to remember that not all tablets/devices are recognised by DJI's software, I found out to my cost that the value for money Android tablet that I purchased did not work. Now don't quote me but I think for a tablet to qualify it needs to be running Android 6 or more, now I may be wrong and someone will correct me very soon.

I have just been thro' this as a non-apple man. I have finally bought a Fire HD 8 which has no 4G. Its cheap and needs a nit of tweeking which a very kind forum member helped me with. Iys not expensive has just the right size screen and works brilliantly.

For DJI, RTH is on the drone.
Only reason you would need 4G LTE is for "live" downloading of maps and uploading of flight logs.
If you do not have 4G, then you cache your maps with WiFI (look at the area you are flying, zoom in and out) then the maps will be there in the field.

For DJI, RTH is on the drone.
Only reason you would need 4G LTE is for "live" downloading of maps and uploading of flight logs.
If you do not have 4G, then you cache your maps with WiFI (look at the area you are flying, zoom in and out) then the maps will be there in the field.
Initially and by default, home point is obtained from AC GPS. However if for some reason you need to reset the home point to your location rather than the AC's current location, then you need GPS on the phone/tablet. Not a common need, but sometimes it is.
If local GPS is not available, you probably can live without it. I just wanted to point out that it has a purpose.

Initially and by default, home point is obtained from AC GPS. However if for some reason you need to reset the home point to your location rather than the AC's current location, then you need GPS on the phone/tablet. Not a common need, but sometimes it is.
If local GPS is not available, you probably can live without it. I just wanted to point out that it has a purpose.
So really it's only if I move from the 'home' point and I won't be able to update to my new location?

So really it's only if I move from the 'home' point and I won't be able to update to my new location?
So much confusion on this topic.
First all this talk about GPS/no GPS is irrelevant if you have an Android device.
Almost all of them have GPS anyway - I've heard of one old Samsung tablet that doesn't have GPS.
It's Apple iPads that only have GPS in the cellular models.

But the only features that can use GPS data from your tablet are:
1. Follow-me flight (but Active tracking is better and doesn't use GPS anyway)
2. Resetting the home point to the current location of the tablet - sometimes used if you fly from a moving car or boat.
But resetting to the drone's current location works just as well and doesn't need GPS in the tablet.
Both 1 & 2 are rarely used features that most flyers would never use.
3. And one more time, Android devices have GPS anyway so this as all completely irrelevant if you used an Android tablet.
And getting your location on the radar map on the tablet.
Not at all ... the radar display works from compass data and distance from the app.
It has nothing to do with GPS.

Correct. That would be the only primary need. Well, perhaps also to get location on the map before you've connected the AC.
There's also Follow Me mode available on older Mavics which tracks the RC GPS position, but that's been replaced with Active Track which is based on vision.

I have just been thro' this as a non-apple man. I have finally bought a Fire HD 8 which has no 4G. Its cheap and needs a nit of tweeking which a very kind forum member helped me with. Iys not expensive has just the right size screen and works brilliantly.
Hello Again. I interested how much you had to do to make this tablet acceptable for you as it is quite a good buy and is HD. Thanks John

Big-M. First search for Amazon fire tablet. Then you will find lots of help from Gadawg. If you buy a Fire, as Gadawg points out, you need to follow this link very carefully to load Google Play onto the tablet so you can download DJI Go 4.
The link is
I am very pleased with the result.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98