DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noobie question re: proximity to Airports & Helipads

wehobella

Reactions
I know I'm not allowed to fly within 5mi of an airport without notifying them; however, when I looked at my location via B4UFLY, it gave the following warning, "You are within 5 miles of an airport." I've uploaded screenshots from B4UFLY and UAV Forecast.

You can see from both (especially UAV Forecast) that I am NOT within 5mi of an airport - but there are many helipads in the area.

Why does B4UFLY have that warning? UAV Forecast says, "Good to Fly". Is B4ufly overly cautious or is UAV Forecast inaccurate?

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

THANKS,

Last edited:
Good question. Also, I am new. I will watch this for answers.

I called my small local regional airport that is 3.77 miles away. They took my name and said thanks for calling.

It was pretty easy.

Now, I plan to fly in more places around my town than up and down my street and insist I be legal so this is a good thread.

Thanks!

Good question. Also, I am new. I will watch this for answers.

I called my small local regional airport that is 3.77 miles away. They took my name and said thanks for calling.

It was pretty easy.

Now, I plan to fly in more places around my town than up and down my street and insist I be legal so this is a good thread.

Thanks!
Thanks! Notifying airports makes sense. I live near very large airports (BUR and LAX) so I have no intention of going close to them. Better to be safe than sorry ... especially as I'm new to piloting. That said, there are a ton of helicopter spots that if I was to avoid, I'd have no place to fly by my home so I'd like to get clarity on that part. Have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11