DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northampton

Have done Harringworth viaduct a couple of times, an old air field now farm land at Harrington along with my village recreation ground and Graffem water, would now like to find some interesting subjects, I would even travel some distance for the right ones.

Where about have you flown? looking for interesting spots for photography :)
Forgot to mention have also flown to the rear of Rockingham Castle from the public footpath of the road that runs in the valley behind it.

Have done Harringworth viaduct a couple of times, an old air field now farm land at Harrington along with my village recreation ground and Graffem water, would now like to find some interesting subjects, I would even travel some distance for the right ones.

I had issues at harringworth came up as no fly zone despite showing clear? rockingham i have yet to do just waiting the trees to go green :)

I'd like to do the church at rutland but that has been deemed a NFZ also (people have flown as seen the videos on YT)

The Iron Bridge (Telford i intend to do sooner rather than later as the cooling towers near by are set for demolition very soon so would like to get some over heads top down before the go.) Heres some video not mine though

Reactions: pagan1
Iron Bridge sounds like a good idea, I flew the viaduct with my HS 100 before I got my Mavic so had no idea that it is a no fly!

Iron Bridge sounds like a good idea, I flew the viaduct with my HS 100 before I got my Mavic so had no idea that it is a no fly!

To be honest I'm not sure it is I checked on an app before hand? I'm going to go back and try again at some point

Anyone flying local to Northampton?
Depends what you call local. I fly in Leicester where I've recently discovered the Leicester Drone Club which meets at the Gate Hangs Well pub on the Fosse Way, Syston, just north of Leicester. They meet on Sundays from 3 pm to 5 pm using a 3 acre field backing on to the garden of the pub, adjacent to the River Wreake and some small lakes where sailing takes place, which makes for good practice as well as nice video footage. We have the use of the pub's facilities where one can get a drink, meals and use of their toilets and car parking. Tables are available to set one's drone up as well as seating. Part of the field is set up with an obstacle course for drone racers, while some of us practice with our video camera drones on the rest of the field, overflying the river, adjacent fields and the lakes. With no annual membership fee and at only £2 per session I reckon it's good value. Check out the drone club on the internet & you can see where we're at and maybe if the weather keeps improving (it was beautiful last Sunday) you could make an afternoon of it & you'd be sure of a warm welcome.

To be honest I'm not sure it is I checked on an app before hand? I'm going to go back and try again at some point
I did have look but could not see any signage with regards to no flying and don't recall seeing any restrictions on the app, but will check the app again.

Hi from Rothwell
new drone flyer (i opened my christmas present on saturday)
love it i got a MINI 2 so not sure if i am welcome on a mavic forum lol.

this is also the very first forum ive ever used too so lots of firsts

would be interested in group flying to pick up tips

also a more in depth understanding of the regs as my drone is under 250g i dont have permits and an ID but i really wanna be up on my knowledge if i ever get challanged

i took off from a local park on sunday (3rd flight) and flew around the church. have i committed an offence as somebody told me im not to fly from built up areas or close to buildings ( i was 100m or so away from it)

any advice hugely appreciated

thanks

Steve

Hi
I'm still contemplating buying the mini 2 but even below 250g it still seems to be so many places you still can't fly it. I'm from Northampton and all the parks are a no go which seems to go against the CAA regs. I don't won't to spend 500 quid and have nowhere to fly.

Parks in Leicester under the authority of the local council have also instituted bye-laws to prevent flyers using them for even practice flights, as I discovered in 2017, insisting that only a local model aircraft club had the council's permission to fly at Leicester's largest park, using their (mainly) large, fixed-wing craft. The cost to join it? Nigh on £100 for starters! They can forbid you taking off or landing in their parks, but not overflying, as long of course as you keep enough distance from any built up areas etc as per the CAA's drone regulations. Please see my earlier post #10 in this thread, if you're prepared to travel to just a bit North of Leicester, considering covid-19 restrictions and the weather of course.
Hi
I'm still contemplating buying the mini 2 but even below 250g it still seems to be so many places you still can't fly it. I'm from Northampton and all the parks are a no go which seems to go against the CAA regs. I don't won't to spend 500 quid and have nowhere to fly.

Last edited:
Hi
We can fly in parks and residential areas from the 1st of January though

I just ordered the Mini 2 because of the new Regs, you need to do it if you want to avoid the regs though as the mini 2 unclassified as legacy is A1 but when classified will be A2! so your better off with the legacy unclassified which will remain so for its life (unless they change minds and go with retrospective classification)

Incidentally on my earlier post about Harringworth Viaduct it is a no fly zone as its on the flight path for RAF wittering!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun