DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northwest Passage -- First Attempt

Chaosrider

Reactions
I was looking for something that would make for more interesting videos, rather than just cruising around the trees on the other side of the canyon. From my deck, I can see a passage through a stand of pine trees. Very narrow (“the small exhaust port, just below the main port”).

This is the video of the first attempt to navigate the Northwest Passage:

DJI 0007 - Northwest Passage First Attempt.mp4

It ended catastrophically for the drone…

TCS

Whats the damage?
The clip ended when the drone clipped a branch above it. From that point, it tumbled down to a steeply sloping pile of decomposed granite.

It took me two attempts to rescue it, but I finally did. The decomposed granite was *everywhere*. It was dead, and I sent it in for a DJI Refresh.

After that, I learned the joy of being able to deflect my camera *UP* on the Mini-2. I could see the drone fine the whole time, but depth perception is another issue entirely. The upward tilt of the camera (not with this drone, this day) greatly enhanced my ability to assess the situation while flying through a tree-tunnel!

TCS

Depth perception is always an issue for me, that’s just reversing my car. Sorry about the damage.
Regards

Reactions: tlswift58
ah, glad you have care refresh
I made that decision early on. Obviously, I never wanted to crash one, but I wanted to learn fast, and I knew I'd push the limits doing that, so DJI Care Refresh seemed like the prudent thing to do!

TCS

I was looking for something that would make for more interesting videos, rather than just cruising around the trees on the other side of the canyon. From my deck, I can see a passage through a stand of pine trees. Very narrow (“the small exhaust port, just below the main port”).

TCS
Northwest playground. 10th attempt. Mavic 2 Pro, top sensor covered up

TCS
Flying thru trees is not really recommended. The camera is not all that great for detecting small tree limbs. Even with an Air2 and OA - tough going thru tiny portals like that. Prop guards would be mandatory for sure. A buddy of mine who is a "cowboy" type can do that with ease, but he does that all the time, while crashing several drones in the process of learning. He build his own cheaper versions that stand up well for doing this type of close quarter flying.

I've had my Air2 "avoid" right into where it would have crashed instead of going through the portal it would have successfully flown through had OA been off.

OA is not an autopilot for traversing dangerous flight conditions.

Northwest playground. 10th attempt. Mavic 2 Pro, top sensor covered up
AWESOME!!

I like that VIMEO interface for the viewers. For now I'm just sticking with Google, but I could see upgrading to this.

I signed up for an AWS account (one year free), but I haven't tried it yet.

I love zipping around the canyon at 23 mph (best my Mini-2s can do at my elevation, just about a mile), but there's something seriously skill-refining about being able to maneuver like this.

I've known since I saw my first drone video that I was going to set one to the Bee Flight, but I haven't done it yet.

Thx!!

:)
TCS

Reactions: Made2Phly
Flying thru trees is not really recommended. The camera is not all that great for detecting small tree limbs. Even with an Air2 and OA - tough going thru tiny portals like that. Prop guards would be mandatory for sure. A buddy of mine who is a "cowboy" type can do that with ease, but he does that all the time, while crashing several drones in the process of learning. He build his own cheaper versions that stand up well for doing this type of close quarter flying.
I've crashed a few times.

I considered them $49 flying lessons!

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580