DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not all SD cards created equal!!

SRJ_Mavic_PRO

Reactions
It was an awesome day here in MD to fly and I burned through all three of my Mavic batteries and three on my P4P which meant I filled up two of my 64 Gig which I got on Amazon when I first got my P4P in February.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Card with Adapter (SDSQXSG-064G-GN6MA): Computers & Accessories

Well the other day I saw these on Amazon

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA): SANDISK: Computers & Accessories

And for the price I ordered two... I put the first one in the P4P and after the first two minutes kept seeing in the SD Icon "slow writing" or something to that effect. Over and over again the same message. So buyer beware!! Spend the extra and get the good cards.

That is all....:)

The Ultra only writes at a max speed of 15MB/s. That won't be fast enough unless it can sustain that max write speed the entire time.

I have a list of memory cards that are known to work well with the Mavic here. You shouldn't have a problem if you use memory cards from that list (or other memory cards with similar specs).

I think you just got a bad egg. Those little cards have a bit of lottery involved when it comes to silicon.

Actually you bought a different type of card. The first link takes you to the product that is a class U3 SD card, which are the fastest of the bunch. The second is a standard class 10 card which has a top speed of 10MB/s.

Yup... found out the hard way! Needless to say they are on their way back to Amazon on Monday and two new 64G Ultras are due here Monday as well. Live and learn..

And no bad egg just the "you et what you pay for" egg.

Yup... found out the hard way! Needless to say they are on their way back to Amazon on Monday and two new 64G Ultras are due here Monday as well. Live and learn..

And no bad egg just the "you et what you pay for" egg.

Yea. Class 10s won't cut it for 4K. Class U3 is the minimum you need.

I noticed that I only have the options for 4K@24 FPS and 4K25, is 4K30 only on firmware 0.500 or does it require a U3 card? I have a couple of U1 32GB cards, and a U1 16GB (Lexar Class10/U1/633x).

I noticed that I only have the options for 4K@24 FPS and 4K25, is 4K30 only on firmware 0.500 or does it require a U3 card? I have a couple of U1 32GB cards, and a U1 16GB (Lexar Class10/U1/633x).

Are you recording in PAL?

Funny the Mavic comes with a 16BG U-1 Micro SD card. I bought two 32GB U1 40Mbs cards and they could not keep up with 4K recording. I could see the cached images, but not open the files on the card. I bought a 32GB U-3 90 Mbs card it it worked perfectly! U-1 SD cards will work with HD, but struggle with 4K. If you want the best, buy a U-3 80-90 Mbs card.

Funny the Mavic comes with a 16BG U-1 Micro SD card. I bought two 32GB U1 40Mbs cards and they could not keep up with 4K recording. I could see the cached images, but not open the files on the card. I bought a 32GB U-3 90 Mbs card it it worked perfectly! U-1 SD cards will work with HD, but struggle with 4K. If you want the best, buy a U-3 80-90 Mbs card.
The best is actually a V90.

You are correct! V90 is overkill for most [non-professional] cameras. Personally, I buy the fastest memory card I can (reasonably) afford to load into my Mavic Pro. I might spring for a V90 card if I had a camera that would actually use the speed.

Attachments

• SD_Association.jpeg
    SD_Association.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: EsiMavic
I must just be really lucky because all of my Sandisk Ultras U1 or class 10 write the UHD w/o any problems. No errors, no dropped frames. I have a bunch of them from when I updgraded to 128GB on my various dash cameras in multiple vehicles.

Reactions: ted35
You are correct! V90 is overkill for most [non-professional] cameras. Personally, I buy the fastest memory card I can (reasonably) afford to load into my Mavic Pro. I might spring for a V90 card if I had a camera that would actually use the speed.
I know it's overkill, but just saying what card is actually the best. :p

The Sandisk Ultra cards are best for smartphones etc - anything that records with a higher bitrate, such as a GoPro, the Mavic, etc, needs a Sandisk Extreme or above.

I have also tested the Lexar 200GB, which I generally reserve for my GoPro, but it works perfectly in the Mavic....

It was an awesome day here in MD to fly and I burned through all three of my Mavic batteries and three on my P4P which meant I filled up two of my 64 Gig which I got on Amazon when I first got my P4P in February.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme PLUS 64GB microSDXC UHS-I/U3 Card with Adapter (SDSQXSG-064G-GN6MA): Computers & Accessories

Well the other day I saw these on Amazon

Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra 64GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Grey/Red, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA): SANDISK: Computers & Accessories

And for the price I ordered two... I put the first one in the P4P and after the first two minutes kept seeing in the SD Icon "slow writing" or something to that effect. Over and over again the same message. So buyer beware!! Spend the extra and get the good cards.

That is all....:)

Thanks for the warning.

I put an Amazon sourced SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card in my Mavic Pro. Right now it's doing duty aboard the P4P as the MP is in Carson for camera repair. But I'll buy the identical 128 GB card for the Phantom. No issues over 120+ flights.

I purchased this card at someone's recommendation from this forum.
SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card with Adapter, Black, Standard Packaging (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA)
I can tell you it records just fine. But I do have some issues when plugging my Mavic to my iMac. Sometimes the files show up empty. I have to disconnect,...shut down the Mavic and controller,...then start back up and reconnect before the files show up. Not sure if this is because of the card or just a bug in the Mavic.

Reactions: Anthonyk
It's my understanding that at least 90mbs write speed is best for 4K video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69