DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not Just Another iPad Question (Well, kinda.) Mavic Air 2 and Matterport.

Reactions
Yes, I'm in the market for an iPad. (I loathe myself for typing that!)

I need a little help from the Apple Inclined People.

After my phone glitched for the umpteenth time during a flight, I want something larger/brighter, without cell service.

Normally, I would just get any compatible tablet, but my side hustle uses the Matterport Camera, which runs great with Apple but hates Android (v 1.0.1 is still in Beta).

So I want something compatible with both.

And I prefer to keep it on the low end of the budget.

Here is the Matterport Preferred List

And the DJI Fly Officially Supported List

The iPad I'm considering is a 2020 Apple iPad 10.2-inch, Wi-Fi, 32GB - 8th Generation for $299 via Amazon.

Will that work for both?

Double bonus if you have a great bracket and/or cable that you can recommend for this too.

I get ya on Apple, I decided to make that jump to Apple for my first DJI 6 years ago due to even then Android debates and such... I am a die hard Android fan and use them daily for everything else. That Ipad is more than good enough for both of you. Brackets vary so you will have to look at what is on Amazon/Ebay and see the different styles and materials and make your own choice up...material...neck strap or not, above remote or over remote...many choices, MavMount is considered one of the top brands (But Expensive!): MavMount DJI Scout Controller Tablet Adapter Archives | Mavmount brand DJI Mavic Air 2, mavic Mini, Mavic 2, DJI Mavic Pro, Spark, AIR iPad Tablet Adapter

Same with cable just search Apple Lightning to (Whatever port on controller... USB-C?) 1 foot DJI cable such as this: Amazon.com: Hanatora 11.8 Inch USB C to iOS Nylon Braided Remote Controller Cable for DJI Mini 2/Air 2S/Mavic Air 2, 1FT OTG Tablet Phone Extension RC Data Cord(iOS Connector): Industrial & Scientific

Last edited:
Reactions: floridabeachbum
Thanks mate!

I know almost nothing about Apple, and that DJI list isn't very complete.
Yeah DJI list isn't very good but this list is: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

As for apples, take DJI's lowest spec "Approved" Apple, and bounce the specs against your Apple or what you would like...Right now a Apple Mini 4 using a A8 Processor is the minimum that works, Your tablet has a A12 Bionic chip... so your good for a few years at least :)

I used to fly with a iPad Pro, your still going to need some type of shade/visor shield or shadow to fly from..JFYI. Apples are notorious for over heating in sunlight and the App is very demanding as well (Heat), then they throttle the processor, or if it is bad enough they just shut off for thermal protection..Your going to have to plan flights accordingly I am afraid. Anything over 95°..and your headed for heartache. Trust me even here in SC, I had some major issues in summer.

Last edited:
Big hat solved the sun problem.
Big screen, big weight.

Big hat solved the sun problem.
Big screen, big weight.
Or...or...you could go out sporting this little jewel and be the envy of all!

I just bought an iPad mini 5 for the same reason (phone glitching during flight). I have other iPads at home and felt that anything larger than the mini would be too big to manoeuvre during flight (personal opinion/preference of course).

To attach the iPad mini I 3D printed one of these, it's fantastic:

I like the idea of brighter for sure. Florida sunshine is no joke.

But now that I'm on this path, I really like the idea of a full-size tablet.

View attachment 129761
Here is my set up with iPad mini 5. I am using a "hand made" sun screen.

IMG_20200714_074420.jpg IMG_20200714_074432.jpgIMG_20200714_074440.jpg

Do not forget the larger the tablet the more "top" heavy it gets.

Then you will want to get a lanyard.

I use an iPad Mini 5. Works great.

Yes, I'm in the market for an iPad. (I loathe myself for typing that!)

I need a little help from the Apple Inclined People.

After my phone glitched for the umpteenth time during a flight, I want something larger/brighter, without cell service.

Normally, I would just get any compatible tablet, but my side hustle uses the Matterport Camera, which runs great with Apple but hates Android (v 1.0.1 is still in Beta).

So I want something compatible with both.

And I prefer to keep it on the low end of the budget.

Here is the Matterport Preferred List

And the DJI Fly Officially Supported List

The iPad I'm considering is a 2020 Apple iPad 10.2-inch, Wi-Fi, 32GB - 8th Generation for $299 via Amazon.

Will that work for both?

Double bonus if you have a great bracket and/or cable that you can recommend for this too.
Here is my set up. I'm as happy as a clam with this nice big screen. iPad in Skyreat Holder-rear view.jpgiPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgiPad-SkyreatHolder-sideView.jpg

• Wow
Here is my set up with iPad mini 5. I am using a "hand made" sun screen.

View attachment 129778 View attachment 129779View attachment 129780

Do not forget the larger the tablet the more "top" heavy it gets.

Then you will want to get a lanyard.

I started poking around the other iPad options like the Mini, but then I have to figure out model variations, specs, and compatibility, price point, etc, and after a few minutes I get brain-fried.

From what I can tell, there's not much advantage to the smaller size, other than it's easier to tote and might be slightly brighter.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm slightly concerned about the really large size (I'm admittedly klutzy), but from what I have seen everyone who has gone full-size loves it.

And your set up looks really sweet, especially moving up from a phone screen.

Actually,It has gotten to where if I forgot my iPad and only have my phone I probably would not even fly. The image on the phone is just too crowded and small for my old eyes. The 9.5 inch pad is no problem whatsoever with me. Balances must fine. Trust me!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike