DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not Just The FAA Anymore

Not surprised it happened! The good guys need to know the situation in order to deploy forces economically and efficiently. Whereas the instigators need to advise ground troops of impending good guy forces in order to provide strategic advancement in the opposite direction.

200 flights and only a dozen confiscated.... Hummm, maybe 90% of them were average clueless Joe at the local park or field just flying, not necessarily trying to "see the big game" and were oblivious to the TFR in the area? Some of the distances put on the TFR's at some of these events is way out of reality of threat or danger to the public. I suspect broadcasting rights and big money has a lot to do with it. Just my opinion of course :)

Hummm, maybe 90% of them were average clueless Joe at the local park or field just flying, not necessarily trying to "see the big game" and were oblivious to the TFR in the area?

I'd have to agree, I've talked to a couple people who were interested in getting a drone and none had any idea about registering the drone, height limits, no fly zones etc.

I've said it before, but I think manufacturers should include something in the box, right at the top, with a big red stop, that details basic requirements... register your drone if required, be aware of local/national regulations with a link to where to get more information, you cannot use your drone for commercial purposes without the correct license etc.

I realize many won't read that, but even if only 50% do, that's 50% slightly more educated pilots than 10%

I'd have to agree, I've talked to a couple people who were interested in getting a drone and none had any idea about registering the drone, height limits, no fly zones etc.

I've said it before, but I think manufacturers should include something in the box, right at the top, with a big red stop, that details basic requirements... register your drone if required, be aware of local/national regulations with a link to where to get more information, you cannot use your drone for commercial purposes without the correct license etc.

I realize many won't read that, but even if only 50% do, that's 50% slightly more educated pilots than 10%
I think they should take it a step further and make it a mandatory pop-up when you go to add one to their cart for purchase, you get a big disclaimer screen. While it might impact sales initially, if you think of the impact due to uninformed users, they will lose way more if they become unavailable to the civilian market. All due to misguided and further uninformed legislation that comes as a result of uninformed buyers causing violations.

Be like going to a Chevrolet dealership and having to sign off before
you buy one of those new mid engine vettes.
Yes they need something but I don’t see it happening. ?‍♂️

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I sold boats for many years and this reminds me of that situation. Too many new boat owners do not have a clue as to when, when not, where, where not, how fast , how slow, etc, etc. But unless they screw up really bad, no harm, no foul. Maybe the drone hobby will be the same way. And then again, maybe not.

But you do have the pay attention to the road and not mobile device warning on every car eqyuipped with Nav screens upon start-up. So essentially that is what automakers are doing despite you owning the car, albeit on a small scale. They could put it on the start up of the app as well.

I'd say DJI are doing most of this already since when I bought the original Mavic Pro in the box it came with a clear mini-poster explaining the UK flying rules and not just a small bit of paper everyone would ignore. On the Mavic 2 Pro when I activated DJI Go 4 I had to answer questions on the UK rules before it would complete the activation.

I think there's only so much they can to and at a certain point if people aren't going to pay any attention to the rules it doesn't how much it's forced on them.

Just wondering how the confiscated 12 drones. I don't know anyone who would just let go of $700+ without a fight. If I did, I'd be visiting them quite regularly.;)

And it is for the insufficiently informed that DJI put in geofencing with authorization zones. The zones and the unlocking isn't perfect, but it's a good step. Originally DJI zones were circular, but now they use various shapes. They also incorporate TFRs if the TFRs are published sufficiently in advance. The LAANC apps don't address TFRs.

A follow up would be nice. Yes, how did the FBI confiscate the drones? Where are the drones now? What official charges were made? Verdicts?
Well when I see anything put out about that article I will post it.
Other than that do some digging and maybe you can find out.
I just saw it in Dronelife and brought it here.

Well when I see anything put out about that article I will post it.
Other than that do some digging and maybe you can find out.
I just saw it in Dronelife and brought it here.
I did some research. I did find a guy charged by FBI in a case in Florida near Superbowl time but could not find the final outcome of the case.

Reactions: dirkclod
Actually I think it would be more like going to a car dealership and asking to test drive and then they ask you for your drivers license.
Any of us that fly should be required to show we know SOME minimum safety rules to prevent damage to others.
Don't need the full 107 test but proving we know not to endanger others is important.
It's getting so "common sense" is uncommon.

Actually I think it would be more like going to a car dealership and asking to test drive and then they ask you for your drivers license.
Any of us that fly should be required to show we know SOME minimum safety rules to prevent damage to others.
Don't need the full 107 test but proving we know not to endanger others is important.
It's getting so "common sense" is uncommon.
Hey I agree I just don’t see it coming or not anytime soon.

I wonder how many of the confiscated drones were budget priced drones like the Mavic Mini. Human nature typically causes us to be a little more serious with things we spend big money on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf