DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nothing Went Wrong!

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I have flown in fairly high wind, in remote & challenging locations and the only issues I have are due to pilot error, and extreme conditions. I honestly feel this is some magnificent technology for the price. (I have M2P with SC). For the most part, this bird flies as promised. (and I trust the proprietary SC over any smart phone or tablet)
I generally find the controls to be entirely accurate & predictable. And the more I fly, the better it all gets. Yes, I crashed my first bird early on. Hit a treetop that probably didn't register on the rear cam -pilot error. DJI got me a new bird within a week.

Most of the tirades that land in my mailbox each morning sound like the results of new pilots ignoring the basics, physics, & common sense. I honestly can't believe the locations & conditions some folks fly in -ignoring system warnings & SOP. It's like getting drunk, crashing your car at high speed in a residential neigborhood, then berating your insurance agent because they don't want to cover the cost of winching the car out of the reservoir.

I have some small quibbles, but I believe most are within the "get what you pay for" realm. The trickle down tech in these birds is pretty darn sophisticated for consumer gadgets. And I suspect the next M2P will continue the upward curve.

I learned everything I could for weeks before I even flew. And I constantly search for tips & beta from experienced pros -the like the generous & patient denizens of this site. If you dive deep into the feature set, and learn a few things about photography/videography, you CAN create stunning imagery on the cheap. These are sky cams -on 400' tripods (or cranes for video). So take the time to visit remote/exotic locations -at Golden Hour (not mid afternoon!), learn what the bird CAN do, and think like a photographer/filmmaker. It's also OUR RESPONSIBILITY to not incite public resentment, or increased restrictions. Don't be the guy holding a smartphone out the window of a speeding car who wonders why his hand went missing.

End rant Siri!

Sunset_Rocks_0968_V2-LR.jpg

I would agree with your assessment. Also have the MP2 and can only say good things. Only been flying for about six months but have not had a single equipment related problem. Only issue has been self induced. Get loss of signal occasionally and the bird will WTH as expected. But, I like to sit at my patio table and fly from there out over the desert. So, it's hard for signals to get through buildings, trees, and other such signal blockers at any distance. That would be a self induced issue that is easily remedied by moving to a better location more out in the open,

It's like getting drunk, crashing your car at high speed in a residential neigborhood, then berating your insurance agent because they don't want to cover the cost of winching the car out of the reservoir.
Here is why it's nothing like that.
Before you can drive a car you need to learn how to drive a car an the rules of the road which includes DUI.
This includes a written test and driving test. So it is well known how dangerous DUI is.
No training required to fly a drone,
DJI to some degree encourages risky flying with their marketing.
Idiots on YT post about how the Mini can fly in high wind.
And other irresponsible things you can do with a drone.

A noob doing something obviously dangerous is rare.

Reactions: Citizen Flier
Here is why it's nothing like that.
Before you can drive a car you need to learn how to drive a car an the rules of the road which includes DUI.
This includes a written test and driving test. So it is well known how dangerous DUI is.
No training required to fly a drone,
DJI to some degree encourages risky flying with their marketing.
Idiots on YT post about how the Mini can fly in high wind.
And other irresponsible things you can do with a drone.

A noob doing something obviously dangerous is rare.
OK, I employed a bit of humorous hyperbole. My point was that we are presented with a daily litany of crash/loss reports. Some involve police action, or complaints by neighbors, etc. So much of this seems unnecessary/avoidable. Drones are VERY popular with their owners, and often UNPOPULAR with the general public, authorities & land managers. I just don't want to see further restrictions brought on by public pressure, bad press, or crashes in public places. Negative reports are popular -you rarely read news articles about the joys of flying or the stunning photos/videos that are created daily. To me that means we need to be extra careful about what we do, and how we are perceived.

OK, I employed a bit of humorous hyperbole. My point was that we are presented with a daily litany of crash/loss reports. Some involve police action, or complaints by neighbors, etc. So much of this seems unnecessary/avoidable. Drones are VERY popular with their owners, and often UNPOPULAR with the general public, authorities & land managers. I just don't want to see further restrictions brought on by public pressure, bad press, or crashes in public places. Negative reports are popular -you rarely read news articles about the joys of flying or the stunning photos/videos that are created daily. To me that means we need to be extra careful about what we do, and how we are perceived.
My point being, without a required knowledge test it's not going to get any better, so this common rant is going nowhere.
To point the finger at the noob pilots is unfair - you don't know what you don't know.

To point the finger at the noob pilots is unfair - you don't know what you don't know.
[/QUOTE]
Exactly. So it's the pilot's responsibility to LEARN. I read as much as I could for weeks before flying. Just like driving a car, scuba diving, or firearms. Some of the crash reports I read are cringeworthy -esp the minis. The information is readily available. The more you learn, the safer you fly.

so this common rant is going nowhere.
I disagree. I'm only suggesting new pilots make a greater effort to self educate

you don't know what you don't know. So how would they know to do this?
At this point your rant is cringeworthy - because it address nothing tangible, not to mention how many times it's already been ranted.

And to whom are you suggesting that to?
Everyone here knows that.
It's a rant because you offer no solution and you are preaching to choir.

you don't know what you don't know. So how would they know to do this?
At this point your rant is cringeworthy - because it address nothing tangible, not to mention how many times it's already been ranted.

And to whom are you suggesting that to?
Everyone here knows that.
It's a rant because you offer no solution and you are preaching to choir.
Obviously I'm suggesting this to THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW --all the noobs (of which I was one) who post their Mini Crash reports daily. Perhaps there could be a Beginner Forum. I would've eagerly visited that when I started out.

I appreciate your rant and I've found that you were right on point. Sometimes, we need to repeat things, because we are all aware that most people do not get or understand it the first or 50th times that something is mentioned. Also, to some or others, this might be the first that they are hearing the information. I too have seen many times that there are a lot of new drone pilots who are more anxious in flying than actually learning about the aircraft, safety measures, pilot responsibilities, and so on. Then, when they lose their drone or whatever, the blame is placed everywhere but themselves. So yeah... I appreciate your words even if they are repeated! Keep up the good work!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143