DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NTSB Final Report re: UH60 Helicopter vs. DJI Phantom

JAW

Did I Just Back Into That Tree?
Reactions
Talk about stupid. Also, I was wondering how the drone pilot was identified as the Phantom was destroyed by the impact over water with some parts imbedded in the rotor blade. One of the parts was a motor.
Manufacturing serial number information inscribed on the motor enabled sales records provided by the manufacturer to aid in identifying the pilot, as the sUAS was purchased directly from the manufacturer.

NTSB Final Report - Hoffman Island Mid-Air

Last edited:
glad no one was hurt or killed due to the incompetence of the drone pilot an interesting read

Reactions: Gary Rowe
We have a thread from the beginning of this somewhere in
here just havn't had a chance to look for it.

We have a thread from the beginning of this somewhere in
here just havn't had a chance to look for it.

Should we wait to comment here then?

I just wanted to point out that even NTSB states in the report that 1.8 miles is probably beyond VLOS for a P4, I wonder how they or anyone else would consider that being the same case for a Mavic...

It also points out how important it is to have updated NOTAM’s, and better yet to have active cellular updates enabled as well while flying in busy airspace, especially over water or openspace where aircraft can legally fly in a drone’s airspace.

Should we wait to comment here then?
Oh yes, I just seem to remember when it first happened or there was a thread about it. Didn’t mean not to post about this. Was glad to see what did come of it and really want to
see what they do with the guy.
Sorry for the late comeback..wife had me outside doing yard
work.

Reactions: Capt KO and AMann
Oh yes, I just seem to remember when it first happened or there was a thread about it. Didn’t mean not to post about this. Was glad to see what did come of it and really want to
see what they do with the guy.
Sorry for the late comeback..wife had me outside doing yard
work.
You should be flying! ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
I’m going to the Superstitions tomorrow again.. Treasure Loop and then up to Praying Hands.
Siphon Draw is next... hoping the waterfall is running.
You’re wouldnt happen to be looking for something over there, are you? ?

Oh yeah, also curious about the type of results you get with photography of rock art. I was doing that for my wife’s company as well, did it work nicely? Oops- stay on topic- will PM.

Reactions: dirkclod
Man it don't seem like that long ago . Thanks Mavic Mac . Thumbswayup

Good read on potential incidents for BVLOS flights.

2.5 miles (a bit over 4km) is much too far for safe awareness (especially at that time of day), you couldn't see another aircrafts lights or relative position in any way to know it was going to be a problem.

That photo shows a pretty straight line to Hoffman Is, makes me wonder if it was an automated flight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy