DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYC central park

naeemr86

Reactions
Can I fly drone at certain limits in central park or any area within the park? I can't seem to find any information for rules and regulations

Can I fly drone at certain limits in central park or any area within the park? I can't seem to find any information for rules and regulations

According to current NYC laws you are not allowed to fly drones in any parks on the island of Manhattan. There are however parks in Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island that are unrestricted. Cited reference: Model Aircraft Fields : NYC Parks

Reactions: naeemr86
It's really to bad. I mean if we could record it and view it remotely there would be no reason to go there to see it.

Unless that is a VERY new rule, that is false.

https://newyorkdronelaw.com/?p=110
That article seems quite old. Technically MOST of Manhattan is a No Fly Zone as per the FAA's B4UFly app. Even most of New Jersey on the opposite side of the Hudson to MOST of Manhattan is a No Fly Zone according to the FAA. You may not go to prison for flying in Central Park, but you can certainly get fined BIG TIME and have your drone taken away. Same thing for the idiots who fly near the Statue Of Liberty and any NYC bridges, all HUGE fine worthy if caught. Key word is NOT get caught like casey Niestat, though I have no idea how the authorities or the FAA haven't been alerted to his transgressions, it boggles my mind. Maybe because he's rich and famous they leave him alone.

That article seems quite old. Technically MOST of Manhattan is a No Fly Zone as per the FAA's B4UFly app. Even most of New Jersey on the opposite side of the Hudson to MOST of Manhattan is a No Fly Zone according to the FAA. You may not go to prison for flying in Central Park, but you can certainly get fined BIG TIME and have your drone taken away. Same thing for the idiots who fly near the Statue Of Liberty and any NYC bridges, all HUGE fine worthy if caught. Key word is NOT get caught like casey Niestat, though I have no idea how the authorities or the FAA haven't been alerted to his transgressions, it boggles my mind. Maybe because he's rich and famous they leave him alone.

Of course it is certainly possible that new rules have come into play. They are slowly closing the circle on our hobby. Those looking for a good destination should consider Norway (brace yourself for how expensive it is). I have flown 30 times here without a single incident or complaint. Of course, I did not fly in the cities of Oslo, Stavanger, or Bergen, but the locals tell me that one can just go to the police station and ask for permission, at least in Bergen and Stavanger. In fjord country it's a whole different story. Thank goodness for my car battery charger!

Sorry for the off topic. :)

Reactions: apernst
Got you I was watching this video and wondering the same thing

Putting aside all the helipads/restricted flight zones all the helipads around this area, aren't they also flying too much for FAA rules? I estimate they hit at least 700ft AGL. Not sure how close to structures you need to be to get shielded by them, but yeahhhh, that whole video looks rather reckless.

It is technically Illegal to fly anywhere in Manhattan and anywhere outside specific designated UAS flying areas in the outer boroughs. Designated flying areas in Brooklyn are Calvert Faux Park and Marine Park, Queens areas are Flushing Meadows and Forest Park, States island is only Latourette Park and in the Bronx Ferry Point Park. The NYS parks dept prohibits drone use on all of their parks within NYC except for certain areas of Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. If caught flying outside of these areas ones drone can be taken away and they can face administrative code and penal law charges.

It is technically Illegal to fly anywhere in Manhattan and anywhere outside specific designated UAS flying areas in the outer boroughs. Designated flying areas in Brooklyn are Calvert Faux Park and Marine Park, Queens areas are Flushing Meadows and Forest Park, States island is only Latourette Park and in the Bronx Ferry Point Park. The NYS parks dept prohibits drone use on all of their parks within NYC except for certain areas of Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn. If caught flying outside of these areas ones drone can be taken away and they can face administrative code and penal law charges.
I like like to be conservative and abide by the rules. But I think we have to be careful between the words ILLEGAL and against FAA rules. I don't think you would be arrested if you flew in a park in one of the outer boroughs if it shows clear of any NFZ on the FAA's B4UFly app. That's what I do in Queens and Long Island. As long as it's not in those marked areas, I fly there.

At this moment, neither the New York State Legislature and nor the New York City Council have passed drone laws. You CAN get arrested for reckless endangerment for doing stupid things like crashing into sporting events or into peoples windows or apartment buildings though. In NYC, you can get arrested for flying near buildings, stadiums, or bridges. But if you are flying in parks not within the NFZ, you're not going to get arrested or even fined, especially if those Parks DON'T have "No drones allowed" signs.

Not false. ALL of Manhattan (NYC) is a no fly zone for drones. It's common knowledge.

http://nypost.com/2017/01/06/the-best-parks-to-fly-your-drone-in-nyc-without-getting-a-ticket/

NYC includes more than just Manhattan. That's common knowledge. Might want to re-check to see the text of the post I was actually responding to, which said "anywhere in NYC." Oops.

BTW: That's why I posted the link to an article showing places within NYC where flights are permitted ... at least at the time of that article.

Last edited:
True definitely can't fly in or most of the places around it but would've been cool tho

NYC includes more than just Manhattan. That's common knowledge. Might want to re-check to see the text of the post I was actually responding to, which said "anywhere in NYC." Oops.

BTW: That's why I posted the link to an article showing places within NYC where flights are permitted ... at least at the time of that article.

OP said "Can I fly drone at certain limits in central park or any area within the park? I can't seem to find any information for rules and regulations?"

I answered you cannot fly anywhere in NYC, obviously speaking of "Manhattan" as that was the OP's intended flight. It's ok if you were confused. I don't take offense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ