DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance cannot be turned off in sports mode after latest update?

adiru

Reactions
Anyone else with Mavic 2 notice that recently after update the frontal obstacle avoidance cannot even be turned off when sliding the RC controller to sports mode?

This means when flying indoor or close quarters, can no longer override the obstacle avoidance and fine tune the positioning of the drone like I always could do in the past when switching to sports mode.

What is going on?

Did a new firmware update come out since September?

OA is off in sport mode and can't be turned on in that mode. OA indicator might not show actual state when not flying, though I thought that was changed on a past update.

I was flying Mavic 2 Pro indoor for testing (which I've done dozens of times before) but tonight noticed even when cycling the physical switch on the right side of the RC to Sport mode repeatedily, in tight quarters it will refuse to go forward or backward direction stating it sees obstacle, but will let me move to the side to side. It used to be immediately when setting sport mode that all OA was turned off. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Does app confirm you went into sports mode? I'm thinking perhaps the switch might be broken. I do know if you power on (maybe even launch) while switch is in sports mode, it actually goes to P mode, just in case you didn't realize it was in S mode. Once you put the switch to P mode, then you can go into S mode.

I just checked it out, seems OK for me.
If you're just idling, which is takeoff mode, OA is on for front and back and would not change in S or T mode. But as soon as I got off the ground, the OA responded as expected, but took a second or two to update.

With app, RC and AC on/connectrd, I could have sworn OA indicator showed front/back sensors were on, which I expected, but I might have had AC idling, as later with AC on the ground, motors off, OA indicator responded correctly in correlation to S, P or T mode.

Perhaps you need to refresh your firmware. A couple months ago I got weird behavior that ultimately made me reapply the firmware.

What do you mean by idling? The mavic is already off the ground, floating about 4 feet in the air.

When I toggle the switch from normal to sports mode I hear the beep on the RC each time. So I know the button wasn't broken.

Also I was flying only with the controller and not a smartphone.

Idling: motor start with CRC, still on ground. Take off at this point would be throttle up.

If you're not using the app, how do you know what the OA status is or confirm flight mode actually did change?

It may be that without app, an additional limitation is that OA can't be turned off or AC put into sports mode. I do know your height/distance is limited if you take off without an app connected.

Well this has never been the case before, I've always been able to just use the RC by itself when flying indoors. My house is not near an airport or any kind of NFZ zone of any sort. I'm literally standing a few feet almost arms length distance away from the drone, taking off from the living room, and hovering about 4 foot about the air, should not be any reason for a "height/distance is limited if you take off without an app connected " etc

So no one else can confirm or deny that on latest firmware for Mavic 2 pro that if they take off in their own living room or crowded bedroom and JUST use the RC without an app and switch to sports mode that OA will now override and disallow the forward and backwards movements?

Now that you said you were flying with only the controller, I just tested that.
When I took off in P mode, I too had obstacle which "obstacle" was on the RC display. I expected that as I was flying in my small kitchen. I could move side to side.
When I put it in Sport mode, RC display showed "Sport" and I could move in any direction.
When I put it in tripod mode, display showed "obstacle" and I could not move side to side, expected behavior in T mode, as I was near fridge and sink.

OA wants 3 to 6 foot clearance in any protected direction.

It sounds like you're not really going into sport mode. You might want to check with the app since RC display can only show most important status, which "obstacle" would take priority.

If you updated the firmware it may have reset the sport button, make sure multiple flight modes are enabled in controller

Reactions: jimlips
If you updated the firmware it may have reset the sport button, make sure multiple flight modes are enabled in controller
Forgot about that. Good call.
Probably would have been more obvious if it was checked with the app connected.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka