DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance during active track

Sportflyer

Reactions
OK exactly how does this work I was under the impression you could have the drone follow you and it would just bob and weave its way through any trees/objects to keep track but looks like from the videos all it does is when it senses something in front is it stops! Ok good I didn't crash it but why can it not just go around/over objects and keep following you! Or does it? Is the same for all other DJI drone? Phantom, inspire 2?

Thanks!

OK exactly how does this work I was under the impression you could have the drone follow you and it would just bob and weave its way through any trees/objects to keep track but looks like from the videos all it does is when it senses something in front is it stops! Ok good I didn't crash it but why can it not just go around/over objects and keep following you! Or does it? Is the same for all other DJI drone? Phantom, inspire 2?

Thanks!
I believe that there is a setting that tells it to "move around" objects that are detected during active track

Reactions: Kilrah
I believe that there is a setting that tells it to "move around" objects that are detected during active track

But why would you chance it anyways? I'm sure you could say there would be some really cool shots going through some woods but the thought of a $1500 mistake comes to mind.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

But why would you chance it anyways? I'm sure you could say there would be some really cool shots going through some woods but the thought of a $1500 mistake comes to mind.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Thanks!

I crashed my mavic pro today into a tree while following my car with active track. It had previously worked well to avoid trees when flying it normally, but during active track it hit one tree slightly then a minute later hit another tree and damaged the gimble

There is an option to enable going around obstacles in Active Track (horizontal OA). I believe it's disabled by default, and I think there's a good reason for that; The Mavic has no side-facing sensors, so it really has no way to know if there's another obstacle to the side of it. It may try to fly around the obstacle in front, only to fly sideways into another.

Reactions: ___
Cool so it does "go around" objects as it continues to track you! But like you guys have stated, it seems like it is not best suited for it yet, as total 360 sensors would first need to be added to improve this feature greatly!

Cool so it does "go around" objects as it continues to track you! But like you guys have stated, it seems like it is not best suited for it yet, as total 360 sensors would first need to be added to improve this feature greatly!
P4P has the 360 degrees protection. The front and back turn on if you are flying in that direction. the side sensors turn on in tripod or beginner mode. So if you are doing an active track with lots of potential accident points, turn it on beginner mode and then turn active track on.

Have a read of the manual and you will see that Active Track has three sub-modes. Trace, Spotlight and Profile. Obstacle avoidance is only available in the on of the three, being the first option - Trace. Profile and Spotlight are for use in open areas with no obstacles and OA will not work.
So if you wish to take advantage of Obstacle Avoidance in Active Track the first thing to ensure you are in Active Track - TRACE.
However keep in mind, even while in the TRACE sub mode mode, IF you have checked "enable backward flying" you will have no rearward OA when/if the subject moves toward the aircraft. Hence there is a warning of such below the check box in DJO GO. So if OA is critical to you, use only Active Track TRACE and do not Enable Backward Flying.

Good to know!
In Trace mode though, if you're following a car in a rural area for instance with trees, will it go up and over any trees or around them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes