DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance - How good is it?

smithlaw

Reactions
Hi All. I am looking at upgrading from my original Mavic Pro to the new Air 2s. I have crashed my Mavic a few times now, most recently yesterday when I hit a tree limb flying sideways slowly. This is the 2nd gimbal I have destroyed because of this. My question is - How good is the obstacle avoidance? And I know it is advertised as having front, back, above and below - but does it avoid side-side at all from the sensors it does have? For those of you that have experience with the Mavic 2 Pro - how does it compare to the obstacle avoidance on it? Thanks for the info everyone!

Reactions: rickfmdj
@smithlaw it is not a get out of jail free card ,at best it will detect things but it is not fool proof ,and indeed in some of the auto flight modes some of the sensors are disabled also in sport mode as well, the best obstacle avoidance is you the pilot

It doesn’t seem anywhere as good as the skidio for following a moving subject, but it is a dedicated follow me drone and the image quality is not as good as the air2s. I guess it depends on whether you want good shots of good following.

I have a M2P and while the “side sensors” (also referred to as the Lateral Vision System) do offer some valuable assistance, they cannot be depended on to stop the drone around moving people, vehicles, slim tree branches or utility wires. User manual emphasizes this. I’ve found the LVS to be dependable around large stationary objects, however.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98