DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance message @ 250 ft open area?

madkaw

Reactions
Perhaps some of you experienced flyers can provide some explanation. Well, I flew the mavic today in a open area, about 250 ft up and a message pop up “obstacle avoided”. I return to home point, and viewed video but nothing was there. I’m thinking maybe a bird flying by???

I agree with @MAvic_South_Oz ... The Mavic is famous for this one ... If you are aimed at the sun, that can trigger the front obstacle sensors ...

I don’t know, it was 65% cloud cover and no visible sun, but there is a chance that a stray ray may have confused it. Just thought other have experienced this issue before like a sporadic glitch( happens occasionally type deal)

Stupid question - are you sure you have removed the clear plastic protective covers from the front-facing camera's??

Erroneous obstacle detection is pretty common.

Copy, had a feeling, but wanted to see if others have experienced or heard of this. Btw it doesn’t happen all time, as a matter of fact this was the very first time.

Yes, the gimbal cover was removed.
Nope - not meaning the Gimbal cover ... The two small forward facing obstacle avoidance cameras on the nose of the Mavic have small transparent disks of plastic pressed onto them to protect them during shipping. If you have missed taking them off, they could be causing you a problem ...

Reactions: gingerweb
Like said, direct sun is a well known culprit.
I’ve had mine do that for absolutely no reason also. Bug, hummingbird, whatever. But the most interesting was the time it was snowing lightly and a snowflake lodged in one of its “eyes” forward sensors. Wouldn’t budge until I disabled OA. Light rain will do the same. Anyway I’ve got to where I usually just fly without it unless I’m low in an environment where it might save me, as it is very sensitive.

Better to not use OA all together. It's a false safety feature that can cause people to fly into things because they trust it too much.

Better to not use OA all together. It's a false safety feature that can cause people to fly into things because they trust it too much.
Actually, a valid point. I can see it being a benefit in an emergency RTH or something similar I suppose.

On the couple of occasions this has happened to me on the MP it stopped and would not go forward. I backed up a few feet and it then allowed me to continue on. I actually had this happen last week on the M2P which surprised me.

Nope - not meaning the Gimbal cover ... The two small forward facing obstacle avoidance cameras on the nose of the Mavic have small transparent disks of plastic pressed onto them to protect them during shipping. If you have missed taking them off, they could be causing you a problem ...

Gotcha, it’s been removed long ago.

On the couple of occasions this has happened to me on the MP it stopped and would not go forward. I backed up a few feet and it then allowed me to continue on. I actually had this happen last week on the M2P which surprised me.

That’s how it happen, did exactly what you did and all is fine.

Like said, direct sun is a well known culprit.
I’ve had mine do that for absolutely no reason also. Bug, hummingbird, whatever. But the most interesting was the time it was snowing lightly and a snowflake lodged in one of its “eyes” forward sensors. Wouldn’t budge until I disabled OA. Light rain will do the same. Anyway I’ve got to where I usually just fly without it unless I’m low in an environment where it might save me, as it is very sensitive.

Right, had too be a insect or bird fly by.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580