DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance, on or off?

Gringorio

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just curious how many of you use obstacle avoidance during your flights? Personally, I have it turned off for nearly 100% of my flights. Why? because it interferes with landing on ships, flying over water, or when flying in close proximity to land-based objects like rocks, cliffs, large trees and hillsides. Nothing like trying to land on a ship or flying close to some cool rocks only to have obstacle avoidance stop the drone and ruin the shot or landing attempt. What are your thoughts?

Off. Main reason is that if I do a RTH, I want the drone to be able to fly fast enough to make it back into a headwind at RTH altitude.

Off. Main reason is that if I do a RTH, I want the drone to be able to fly fast enough to make it back into a headwind at RTH altitude.

This makes no sense...

This makes no sense...
If you have obstacle avoidance on, the drone flies slower than it would if it was off. That matters if its windy. Go try a few RTH in various locations and maybe you'll figure it out.

EDIT: for the Mavic Pro, from page 11 of the manual: "[w]hen the Forward Vision System is enabled and lighting conditions are sufficient, the maximum flight attitude angle is 16 with a maximum flight speed of 22 mph (36 kph)...[w]hen the forward obstacle sensing are disabled, the maximum flight attitude angle is 25 and the maximum flight speed is 36 mph (56kph)."

Last edited:
If I know I'm well above the trees or other obstacles for the entire flight, then I turn it off to get greater speed. Also, If I'm down near obstacles and performing close proximity flying using my FPV technique, then I turn it off. I also turn it off when flying into a low level sun. But if I'm purposely flying near objects but don't need to get too close, then I turn it on just to be safe.

My main reason on MP for switching off are the false alarms when flying against sun, especially if sun is quite low over horizon. Experienced several times sharp braking from full speed because of that. And also a risk during RTH, as this could cause RTH to fail just because of non existing obstacles.

If you have obstacle avoidance on, the drone flies slower than it would if it was off. That matters if its windy. Go try a few RTH in various locations and maybe you'll figure it out.

EDIT: for the Mavic Pro, from page 11 of the manual: "[w]hen the Forward Vision System is enabled and lighting conditions are sufficient, the maximum flight attitude angle is 16 with a maximum flight speed of 22 mph (36 kph)...[w]hen the forward obstacle sensing are disabled, the maximum flight attitude angle is 25 and the maximum flight speed is 36 mph (56kph)."

Now it makes sense. I had no idea regarding this aspect of obstacle avoidance. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll have to go over the Mavic 2 manual again.

Now it makes sense. I had no idea regarding this aspect of obstacle avoidance. Thanks for pointing it out. I'll have to go over the Mavic 2 manual again.
No problem. However, I highly recommend that all pilots get into the habit of doing a 'practice' RTH every few flights so you can see how the drone behaves. Many pilots don't do an RTH until the drone is in trouble, and that isn't the time to find out any problems with it.

Reactions: Gringorio
My equipment is M2P with Smart RC.

Sensors On or OFF?

If I fly up in free air space I don't need sensors and when I fly in a forest they are basically useless, the drone stops for the slightest obstacle.

My attitude is therefore:
- Enable IntelligentFlight Modes
- Display Radar Chart
Everything else off.

But make sure Sound in Setting in Smart RC is muted
otherwise it will be a very beeping when you get too close to obstacles.
NOTE, sound attenuation will not affect the beep when you reach low battery level.

This is my general attitude, then there are situations where other conditions apply.

Reactions: Gringorio
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143