DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle detection system issue on a brand new Mavic Air 2 ??

tman

Reactions
Anyone experienced/experiencing a problem with the obstacle detection system on a Mavic Air 2 ?????
Brand new Air 2 / Samsung A90 5G mobile and Lenovo Tab M8 tablet. Drone from new making a donging/bonging sound as if there's something in front or behind when there clearly isn't.
Doing it with both phone and tablet.
Turn off the obstacle detection system in the Fly app. and the sound disappears.
The likelihood of there being a problem with both my phone and a brand new tablet is unlikely.
Mines gone back to DJI to be replaced as my unit was deemed DOA (brand new unit) but they can't replicate the problem ????
Any feedback appreciated

regards
tman

No don't even get to the flying the drone stage, it happens before takeoff ...
It's as soon as the drone and app connect that the noise starts
Nothing in front or behind the drone ??

Last edited:
Is the radar picking up anything ?
Could be the front or rear sensor while on the ground / table etc is picking up a surface.
Or, it could be related to downward sensors ?

Maybe someone with an Air 2 can advise if they experience this.
Would be driving one a bit mad if this was happening during flight preps etc.

Always the way with a repairer trying to replicate a noise or such, happens with cars an mechanics too.

I've had a Mavic 2 Pro in the past and have never experienced an issue like this ?
Checked to see if there's anything blocking front/rear sensors and nothing. Drone sat on flat level ground absolutely nothing in front or behind, 6 feet of open space all around the drone and as soon as you fire up the Fly app. and the drone and they connect the bonging/donging sound starts. Turn off the obstacle detection system in the app. and the sound stops .....
Cannot understand why DJI are saying that they can't replicate it ????

I've had a Mavic 2 Pro in the past and have never experienced an issue like this ?
Checked to see if there's anything blocking front/rear sensors and nothing. Drone sat on flat level ground absolutely nothing in front or behind, 6 feet of open space all around the drone and as soon as you fire up the Fly app. and the drone and they connect the bonging/donging sound starts. Turn off the obstacle detection system in the app. and the sound stops .....
Cannot understand why DJI are saying that they can't replicate it ????

It's odd for sure.
Do you have a flight log on the viewing device (even without flight there might be something @slup ?) that might indicate something in the data ??
It might be that motors need to be running to start a log, but might be worth a look either way.

Just received a new replacement MA2 last week and flew it tonight. Experienced the same thing, but only in flight. Stutters as if it’s braking, then continues. Plus I get obstacle alerts when it’s in perfectly clear airspace. Flew perpendicular to the sun to make sure, and yes, still happened. Turned off obstacle detection & flew in fast mode, no issues. My guess is a batch of bad sensors. Gonna be emailing support tomorrow.

Reactions: Darth SHO
I ran an obstacle avoidance system and gimbal recalibration ... no difference
Will look to see if there's a log without flight

Just received a new replacement MA2 last week and flew it tonight. Experienced the same thing, but only in flight. Stutters as if it’s braking, then continues. Plus I get obstacle alerts when it’s in perfectly clear airspace. Flew perpendicular to the sun to make sure, and yes, still happened. Turned off obstacle detection & flew in fast mode, no issues. My guess is a batch of bad sensors. Gonna be emailing support tomorrow.
Hi idhawkdrvr
did DJI repair support reproduce the problem you were having when they tested it (your original unit) ?
To be clear was your original MA2 replaced because of the obstacle detection system noise problem or are you saying that the replacement unit has this issue ?

it a beeping sound? I have an Air 2 and if the sticks get moved in storage, it will beep for a while when you start it up (the controller). Before you power on the controller, run the sticks in all directions. That eliminates the beeping. If you let it go, it will eventually turn itself off and doesn't really affect anything flight-wise, it's just annoying.

Really 🤔 ... glad it's not just me then.
But it shouldn't really be happening should it 😕

Last edited:
Hi idhawkdrvr
did DJI repair support reproduce the problem you were having when they tested it (your original unit) ?
To be clear was your original MA2 replaced because of the obstacle detection system noise problem or are you saying that the replacement unit has this issue ?
I’m not the OP, but my replacement was a brand new unit, sealed in plastic. (My original failed to avoid a wall in Sport mode, operator error :) )

I received a brand new unit. Flying straight and level, it will just stutter as if it’s braking for some unseen obstacle, with occasional audio and visual warnings on the FlyApp.

I just read on another forum, albeit an old post, that reloading the firmware using DJI Assistant may fix it. I’ll have to research to see how to do that, but I’ll give it a go. I may record it in flight to prove that it’s doing it before I brick the drone.

If that's the case Capt KO why doesn't it happen on other models of DJI drones or does it ? or is it just an Air 2 issue ? It's a bit annoying to say the least.
Never ever experienced it on the Mavic 2 Pro !!

My A2 always beeps on the ground and takeoff up to about 15’. It’s the ground sensor. Turning off or to Sport only way to stop it but never bothered me.

Note sure if it's up to 15' but my A2 does the same thing at take off and landing.

Reactions: awagner109
If that's the case Capt KO why doesn't it happen on other models of DJI drones or does it ? or is it just an Air 2 issue ? It's a bit annoying to say the least.
Never ever experienced it on the Mavic 2 Pro !!
Don’t know, only mavic I own. I usually go up asap to stop the beeping. Annoying

Will be interested to hear the outcome 👍
Well, I’ve flown 2 batteries worth tonight and the issue seems to have been resolved after reinstalling the firmware with DJI Assistant.

I almost panicked because I had no lateral/roll control at first. Turns out the reset also reset my Fly App settings too.

👍🏽

Reactions: March411
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom