DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obtaining authorization in a controlled airspace

Treve

Reactions
I have been using Airmap.com for automated authorization for flying. In anticipating a photo shoot for a client, I filed a flight plan with Airmap.com, and the request was denied, because I was in close proximity to the San Jose, CA airport. My response was to tell the client I may not be able to fly due to the airspace restriction. Airmap shows a height restriction of zero feet in the area I was in. While I was able to get the ground based photos for the client, and some height with a ladder, the client told me that they previously hired a videographer to photograph the property. I'm assuming that pilot must have obtained authorization. I just filed a request form on FAADroneZone to see if I can schedule authorization for a future date. But even with authorization my Mavic Air gives me a message saying unable to fly because I'm in restricted air space. So even with authorization, how would I fly? Any advice or comments appreciated.

I think somebody wasnt utilizing a drone with DJI apps, and maybe endangering others. But I could be wrong here.

I have been using Airmap.com for automated authorization for flying. In anticipating a photo shoot for a client, I filed a flight plan with Airmap.com, and the request was denied, because I was in close proximity to the San Jose, CA airport. My response was to tell the client I may not be able to fly due to the airspace restriction. Airmap shows a height restriction of zero feet in the area I was in. While I was able to get the ground based photos for the client, and some height with a ladder, the client told me that they previously hired a videographer to photograph the property. I'm assuming that pilot must have obtained authorization. I just filed a request form on FAADroneZone to see if I can schedule authorization for a future date. But even with authorization my Mavic Air gives me a message saying unable to fly because I'm in restricted air space. So even with authorization, how would I fly? Any advice or comments appreciated.
You will need to apply on the DJI Unlock Website for an authorization to fly. Use the FAA authorization (that you get from DroneZone) as the documentation that DJI requests.

Not necessarily talking about a drone pilot.

You can't LAANC here, you would have to part 107 for whatever the airspace is.

When you get the authorization you’ll have to get an unlock from DJI which isn’t hard.

Makes me regret buying DJI now. I can get authorizations to fly since I know everyone and can talk to towers. But my airframe shuts me down. Their has to be a fix

Hope I'm posting this in the right area. Have a question about this sectional chart in my area. What is the outer band the encircles SRQ flight airspace (band with tick marks and numbers)? is that the indicated altitude when approaching the SRQ airspace?

Attachments

• SRQ sectional.JPG
    SRQ sectional.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Wow
Reactions: Deleted Member 997
Hope I'm posting this in the right area. Have a question about this sectional chart in my area. What is the outer band the encircles SRQ flight airspace (band with tick marks and numbers)? is that the indicated altitude when approaching the SRQ airspace?
That's for manned A/C, it's for the VOR

The magenta solid rings are your Class Airspace floor and ceiling at 5NM and 10NM
Your 5nm is the inner band surface to 4k feet, outside of the 5 is 1200 to 4k feet with a 10 NM radius. The blue dotted is for the VOR

Reactions: usrmesarge
Then you have class E under that...

What's your question?

Everything i told you is in your Key on the front of the sectional ?

Reactions: usrmesarge
Makes me regret buying DJI now. I can get authorizations to fly since I know everyone and can talk to towers. But my airframe shuts me down. Their has to be a fix

It's actually a very simple process to unlock your drone once you get permission. You can find the answers here: Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI

Also, you can't take to towers anymore. You have to obtain permission from either a LAANC provider or via the Drone Zone.

It's actually a very simple process to unlock your drone once you get permission. You can find the answers here: Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI

Also, you can't take to towers anymore. You have to obtain permission from either a LAANC provider or via the Drone Zone.
Hi Vic,
I recently saw the episode on DU where you explain how to get an authorization to fly in control air space. Is there a site that provides some sort of script to be able to get a six month authorization in certain control their spaces? I have been doing jobs for Dronebase that at this time did not require permissions, I live in New York city, and want to be able to have the authorization in place when the next job comes through and requires it. I also do jobs in Florida and New Jersey . Thank you in advance for your help and that episode was very informative. Love drone U

Hi Vic,
I recently saw the episode on DU where you explain how to get an authorization to fly in control air space. Is there a site that provides some sort of script to be able to get a six month authorization in certain control their spaces? I have been doing jobs for Dronebase that at this time did not require permissions, I live in New York city, and want to be able to have the authorization in place when the next job comes through and requires it. I also do jobs in Florida and New Jersey . Thank you in advance for your help and that episode was very informative. Love drone U
I just asked for six months and got it.

Reactions: Thomas B
Just asking, are you a licensed Part 107 pilot?

Reactions: Treve
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie