DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Occusync (MavPro) vs Wifi on the Mavic Air - need help!

billem16

Reactions
Hi I am deciding between purchasing the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air. I was previously set on the Mavic Air as it is smaller, seems to have great quality video, $200 cheaper, etc. BUT I recently read that the Mavic Pro uses Occusync and the Mavic Air does not have that, and requires Wifi to fly.. which apparently is a big disadvantage to some people. I do not have a drone yet, so I do not understand all of this drone language yet. But I am trying to decide which drone to purchase. Does the Mavic Air require a WiFi connection to fly?! If so, I do not want it. I plan to fly in some remote areas that will not have a WiFi connection.

In short, my question is - Can someone please explain the difference between the Mavic Air Wifi vs the Mavic Pro Occusync, and your personal opinions? Thank you!

Reactions: PatrickSupersonic
Occusync is what gives you wireless connectivity to the goggles. Without it, you have to use a cable from the controller to the goggles. You will not need a WiFi connection.

What you've probably read is that the Mavic Air uses a WiFi connection to stream video from the drone to your controller/phone - but it provides the WiFi connection; you don't need to be connected to some other WiFi network. It's just the wireless protocol used to communicate, while the higher end Mavic drones use something called Lightbridge.

Of course, I'm new to the DJI ecosystem, so I could be wrong on some of the details - but you definitely don't need a wireless network to fly your drone wherever you plan to fly it.

Reactions: jedburgh01
Occusync is what gives you wireless connectivity to the goggles. Without it, you have to use a cable from the controller to the goggles. You will not need a WiFi connection.

What you've probably read is that the Mavic Air uses a WiFi connection to stream video from the drone to your controller/phone - but it provides the WiFi connection; you don't need to be connected to some other WiFi network. It's just the wireless protocol used to communicate, while the higher end Mavic drones use something called Lightbridge.

Of course, I'm new to the DJI ecosystem, so I could be wrong on some of the details - but you definitely don't need a wireless network to fly your drone wherever you plan to fly it.
You're correct about most of that; I'd just add that the Mavic Pro uses Occusync as its video transmission protocol in addition to being used with the Goggles. In other words, Occusync is to the Mavic Pro as Lightbridge is to the newer Phantoms as wifi is to the Mavic Air.

Reactions: bonzo and SolusCado
Hi I am deciding between purchasing the Mavic Pro and the Mavic Air. I was previously set on the Mavic Air as it is smaller, seems to have great quality video, $200 cheaper, etc. BUT I recently read that the Mavic Pro uses Occusync and the Mavic Air does not have that, and requires Wifi to fly.. which apparently is a big disadvantage to some people. I do not have a drone yet, so I do not understand all of this drone language yet. But I am trying to decide which drone to purchase. Does the Mavic Air require a WiFi connection to fly?! If so, I do not want it. I plan to fly in some remote areas that will not have a WiFi connection.

In short, my question is - Can someone please explain the difference between the Mavic Air Wifi vs the Mavic Pro Occusync, and your personal opinions? Thank you!
So as others explained Occusync a bit, if you are going to be flying in areas with a lot of interference like neighborhoods full of WiFi signals, then you might have a concern with the Air.

Reactions: Thomas B
I have both of these and like them both. The pro is a great workhorse with better rc range and lifting capacity. In the us, both drones have very good range. In Europe, the air, in my experience, is a line of sight device, capable of 300 it 400 meters distance. This is enough for short range shots where you need to keep an eye on your drone anyway, but not enough to go out a couple of kilometers to follow a boat or dolphin.

The video quality of the air is superior, and it can take a crash better than the prop ro, not too the point of being a show stopper for the pro, in my opinion.

Short story, for range go for the pro, for travelability go for the air.

Reactions: Verizondrone28
I've also seen Pros on ebay new from $799... so the price difference isn't that much if you venture onto ebay.

I love my Air but kinda wish I went for a Pro. However, I'm loving the size of the Air!

Reactions: Bdubbs and hyb

These responses are correct. The wifi will come from your controller/phone, not from other networks. The drawback is range, but Dji claims the wifi reaches out pretty good, albeit line of sight. You should remember though that FAA rules say you must only fly in line of sight of your drone. FYI: nobody complies, but should there be a liability issue (think crash) you could be on the hook if you are in violation. Laugh if you want, but insurance will walk away if you aren't in compliance. Few hobbyists have insurance anyway.

I flew a Phantom 3 for 2 years until it inverted and powered into a neighbor's roof from 200ft -- straight down. It was diagnosed on this forum, from the flight log as software/hardware problem (ESC).

I've been reluctant to get back into it, but I am considering a Mavic Air. I like the smaller size. It should be quieter also. Since my flying is just hobby and close to home, I prefer a low profile. For hobby use I think the video will be fine.

Finally, remember once schooled (read this forum) you will find that your drone will return to the home/take off point if you lose your link while flying. It really works and now they've added object avoidance to the flight.

You decide what's best for you. Neither the Pro or the Air are toys.

Reactions: JTology
I've also seen Pros on ebay new from $799... so the price difference isn't that much if you venture onto ebay.

I love my Air but kinda wish I went for a Pro. However, I'm loving the size of the Air!

How would you compare the sound level of the Air vs the Pro. I found the Mavic Pro to be as loud as my P3.
Around here I need to be quiet and unobtrusive.

I would not have guessed that. So much for my main reason for getting a MA. It's louder and has wifi as well?
Back to being on the fence:-(

2 reasons to buy the Air over the Pro:

1. Price.
2. Smaller and lighter (it's half the size).

You also have to be OK with having a shorter range. But it's still pretty far.

1. Price.

Thanks for sharing the data on the 2 units. A lot to consider now.
I actually got a MP for my birthday last year, but returned it because I had a working P3. (Which later crashed) Obvious bad decision to return it. (Never let guilt play a part in your man toy purchase decisions.)

Thanks for sharing the data on the 2 units. A lot to consider now.
I actually got a MP for my birthday last year, but returned it because I had a working P3. (Which later crashed) Obvious bad decision to return it. (Never let guilt play a part in your man toy purchase decisions.)
I've seen a lot of pros on eBay... including a few new ones around 799...

Don't get me wrong though, the Air is fabulous.

DJI Mavic Air is louder than the Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum Edition
  • 98 dB Mavic Pro
  • 93 dB Mavic Pro Platinum Edition
  • 99 dB Mavic Air

I've seen 4 different videos/articles on the Air versus Pro Comparison. 2 had the Pro quieter, 2 had the Air quieter. Think it's fair to say the Air and the Pro with the original props are pretty close, obviously with the quieter props or the platinum things shift. That said, its been said a bunch of times the Air is higher pitched, so even at the same volume, seems to be more noticeable or bothersome. The truth is, you'll hear either one if it is hovering 20 feet over your head.

In addition to size and price, I think the Air buys a few more features good for the new pilot, like rear sensors and the advanced avoidance system that might be helpful. The range outside the city, at least in the US is good for most people.

The Pro's extra battery life is a definite plus.

I ended up with the Air, because after my P3A, I wanted to go as small as practical for travel, and am pleased so far.

I'm of the opinion that if you are mostly driving to shoots and such, the Pro is a great way to go. If you will travel to shoots where you are packing it, or hiking and such, the Air's range and battery disadvantages aren't so bad that the portability wins out.

Reactions: RFaust
If noise is a concern then the MPP is worth considering it is very quiet. Amazing difference from either the Spark or P4.

Spark has a pitch that is just more noticeable and the P4 is just louder.

MPP at 200 feet up IMO is hard to hear during a hover. If you bring it down fast you will hear it bitting the air. MPP also has a very helpful display on the controller. If you lose video you still have a read out on GPS distance and speed.

Size is not much larger than the air and range with just the standard controller is very impressive.

As a stills shooter more than video I just wish DJI could find a way to put 20mp in the Mavic but looks like that is not on the table.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: tiparoch and RFaust

1. Price.

Except, you can get a refurbished Mavic Pro with the same coverage as new for $629, and when you put them both in a pack they're practically the same size.

Really, the only reason you can actually argue for the Air is the higher bitrate. The APAS is a nearly-useless gimmick, the battery life is shorter, the range is far inferior, and the actual frame design is stronger than the Air.

Reactions: bonzo
The current distance record for the Air is over 5300 meters. Then returning back home. The battery is the factor in limiting the Air to farther distance, not the enhanced WiFi.

Reactions: tiparoch
Except, you can get a refurbished Mavic Pro with the same coverage as new for $629, and when you put them both in a pack they're practically the same size.

Really, the only reason you can actually argue for the Air is the higher bitrate. The APAS is a nearly-useless gimmick, the battery life is shorter, the range is far inferior, and the actual frame design is stronger than the Air.

Packed, I didn't find them anywhere close to the same size for my tastes. You can stick the controller in the back of the hard case and clip that anywhere and be gone. Courtesy Phones and Drones, both these images are the drone and controller.

YVEILU_Sfv3QCEh_e1ODXSxWK56XnW0j9-wp1sgmV_fBJbiF1knI8aNnFuXOzsJQi8KQgrHF9_E=w1393-h503

mrAXCWUhu9VuhrhkN8Qfw0O-djJLu4RFS7yh6JpAm3iPdy2cbXaGZYLGbuEaTgFd7WUBgk9lfqY=w1240-h960

Again, think the Pro is great for many people, but saying the only advantage of the Air is bitrate seems to be a little unfair.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada