DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Occusync

RSDonovan

Reactions
Hi all

i have a Mini CE version in the UK. It is excellent in all respects except for the disappointing connections that I get. I only have to a very short distance before I get the “lost transmission“ message which often causes me to RTH before I want to. This is especially true in urban environments.

I was wondering whether Occusync might fix the problem. Does anyone think a new version of the mm is likely to use Occusync? Otherwise I could consider upgrading my mm to a drone that uses occusync?

Could someone with experience of flying drones with both Wi-Fi and occusync please let me know your experience with Occusync, and how much better it is than Wi-Fi ?

Also I guess there must be a trade off to using Occusync, such as price or weight, else I guess all drones would also use it.

Thanks in advance

Here's my opinion for what it's worth..

The mini is new and will not have an update for a couple of years, I'd guess, and because of the weight restriction to 249g will probably not ever be upgraded.

Ocusync is propriety DJI using two dedicated channels one for comms to the aircraft, the other for video link, this is the huge advantage that DJI has over it's rivals, rock steady communication with the drone at ridiculous ranges
Ocusync has a huge range (c. 5 - 10km) WiFi is short range and prone to interference (max 1-2km EU, 2-3km USA)
Ocusync is (probably) going to be on the new Mavic Air 2, and is on most Phantoms and Mavics
The Mini cannot be upgraded to Ocusync
I think the Mavic Air 2 will be hot property and seems to me to be aimed squarely at the new regulations coming to the EU in June, (worth reading up on, they are not too onerous) with it's ADS-B (probably) and weight under 900g (probably..) Wait a couple of weeks to find out (27/4/20 is the launch)

Hope that helps? (the opinions expressed etc etc...)

....or you can try to fly with the FCC hack to switch on a little more power on wifi

Reactions: Gary R
FCC hack!!!!!!! ???????
Hz
From what I've read, that won't work anymore, but try it by all means, plenty of YouTube info on it, but I think the 5.8Ghz is restricted on all EU versions, so you'd need a USA model and then hack it..

Note that the fcc hack breaks the ce laws for transmission power. You may not care, but the law was passed for the community benefit.

Also with a drone with occusync, according to the local law, is not possible to fly out of VLOS, this means 300-400mt as max distance
There is no real advantage in this case

Also with a drone with occusync, according to the local law, is not possible to fly out of VLOS, this means 300-400mt as max distance
There is no real advantage in this case

Even if you fly only 400m occusync will still help with strong video transmission.

Reactions: Gary R
My experience is with an unmodified Spark CE version, and an unmodified Mavic 2 CE version. Spark with wifi, Mavic with Occusync.

The Spark performed OK with wifi, but even within the visual line of sight restrictions I needed to use Litchi to run missions on the edge of my sight range as the signal would break up. No such situation with Occusync - it works for all instances reliably within visual line of sight (which is greater anyway because it's a bigger bird). For example, with the Spark I was doing a point of interest round a tower. The moment it was behind the tower it stopped, hovered and initiated a return to home. Even though it was comfortably within seeing range. I tried again with the Mavic 2 and no problems whatsoever. I feel a lot happier flying the Mavic.

So yes, it would improve your experience but you aren't going to get the Mini to use it as it doesn't have the hardware, and probably never will in future versions. You will need to get a drone that has that capability - possibly the upcoming Air 2, but until it's released we don't know for sure.

Reactions: Gindra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3