DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ocean crash and Salvage?

Pawpaw Woody

Reactions
While flying the beach on Fripp Island my Mini 2 went down into the surf about 10-15 ft out. I searched but could not locate it. It had an Apple Airtag and Lume Cube onboard and 4 different ID and FAA Tags along with my address and Phone number and email. Returning home without it I suspect it gone forever, but incase I am contacted by some saintly individual that finds it. Is there anything salvageable
from a salt water logged drone?

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Sorry for your loss.

Saltwater will slowly erode all of the electrical connectors and circuit boards even if you got it back at the time of the incident.

Flushing with fresh water will help but the aircraft could fail mid flight in the future. Not worth the risk.

The props and plastic body may be the only thing that would survive a saltwater bath.

Thanks! I pretty much thought the same! I guess the only comfort would be in the closure of
seeing her again and maybe shelving her in the bone yard... My “mini pool noodle” style water landing gear
snapped in two on the trip to Fripp and I even considered mounting it with only one sponson before taking
it to the beach, but then didn’t. Always trust your premonitions is what I’ve learned!

While flying the beach on Fripp Island my Mini 2 went down into the surf about 10-15 ft out. I searched but could not locate it. It had an Apple Airtag and Lume Cube onboard and 4 different ID and FAA Tags along with my address and Phone number and email. Returning home without it I suspect it gone forever, but incase I am contacted by some saintly individual that finds it. Is there anything salvageable
Holy cow ! it was a great effort , Most likely you would need a new ESC module and the board, only good for a refresh really and getting a new Mini 2 , an suggest you get a Mini 2 Rescue Jacket that will allow your Mini 2 to float for recovery.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2in the Rain , Float on the water.

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
Sorry for your loss. Honestly, the only thing that would be salvageable is the SD card and body shell. All electronics including camera will be toast, unfortunately.

Cheers!

Holy cow ! it was a great effort , Most likely you would need a new ESC module and the board, only good for a refresh really and getting a new Mini 2 , an suggest you get a Mini 2 Rescue Jacket that will allow your Mini 2 to float for recovery.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2in the Rain , Float on the water.
Thanks! I have seen your floatation gear and wet suits. Very nice stuff. With the waves at approx.2-3 feet I’m afraid she would have been overturned just the same. The only plus would have been the recovery which I now would like to have!

I have been contacted by a Fripp Island resident that found my Mavic Mini 2 on the beach! I sent $25 to him to ship it back to me and it should be home in a couple of days. Thankful for him calling me. The Apple AirTag was still transmitting it’s location although I could not make it signal a sound for recovery. Would DJI Refresh cover this as the UAS was recovered?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
The body is worth saving, somebody may want it for parts.

Back in the day we tested electronics bathed for months in salt spray and nasty environments, washed them off in clear soap and water, dried them off, and then checked calibration. The battery is probably toast, so recycle it. If the drone's battery terminals aren't shot, the electronics might be fine. Soak the drone in distilled water for a few days, rinse, air it out with plenty of compressed air, and then let it dry for a week in someplace with low humidity (or in a plastic box with a few desiccant bags). Then try powering it up with a battery that hasn't been underwater. Nothing to lose by trying... though, TBH, the camera optics are probably toast, too.

Back in the day we tested electronics bathed for months in salt spray and nasty environments, washed them off in clear soap and water, dried them off, and then checked calibration. The battery is probably toast, so recycle it. If the drone's battery terminals aren't shot, the electronics might be fine. Soak the drone in distilled water for a few days, rinse, air it out with plenty of compressed air, and then let it dry for a week in someplace with low humidity (or in a plastic box with a few desiccant bags). Then try powering it up with a battery that hasn't been underwater. Nothing to lose by trying... though, TBH, the camera optics are probably toast, too.
Thanks I wish I had tried this before sending it back to DJI Repair yesterday. Lord only knows what kind of price they will quote for fixing/replacing this technical wonder!

Update!
DJI Repair informed me that a new board is needed and to repair the MM2 would cost $161.00. That is reasonable and less than I expected. I sent the payment and am now awaiting repair and return. I am not sure if this will be my sent in MM2 or a refurb from some other source. I hope it is in cleaned and flight ready condition as the motors were completely sand packed along with sand falling from every possible access point. Wish me luck!

Reactions: MA2 317
I am not sure if this will be my sent in MM2 or a refurb from some other source. I hope it is in cleaned and flight ready condition as the motors were completely sand packed along with sand falling from every possible access point. Wish me luck!
It's unlikely that DJI could have or would have repaired a drone that had been in salt water.
You don't want that one back again.

Reactions: dawgpilot and Scona
It's unlikely that DJI could have or would have repaired a drone that had been in salt water.
You don't want that one back again.
IIRC, they'll send a different one that's been refurbished. Keep in mind too that drones are not like cars. You can never truly "fix" a flood damaged car, since too many places aren't accessible. That's not true for a small drone lime MM2. Also I'd expect that DJI knows what they're doing...

And that's why they don't repair water damaged drones, especially drones that have been in salt water.
Despite the optimism of some, saltwater kills electronics and proper recovery is unlikely.
So do we agree or disagree? Your first post seemed to suggest that the OP did the wrong thing by sending his drone to DJI for repair or replacement. Yes or no?

So do we agree or disagree? Your first post seemed to suggest that the OP did the wrong thing by sending his drone to DJI for repair or replacement. Yes or no?
I didn't suggest anything like that at all.
All I was saying is that DJI would replace rather than repair.

Update!
DJI Repair informed me that a new board is needed and to repair the MM2 would cost $161.00. That is reasonable and less than I expected. I sent the payment and am now awaiting repair and return. I am not sure if this will be my sent in MM2 or a refurb from some other source. I hope it is in cleaned and flight ready condition as the motors were completely sand packed along with sand falling from every possible access point. Wish me luck!
Updated Update!
DJI sent a new Mavic Mini 2 as the replacement! Also along with the Apple Air Tag that survived the oceanic voyage the Lume Cube Light that suffered the same plunge came back to life after I soaked it in distilled water and alcohol!
Great products in my book! Saved me about $80 in replacement costs

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3