DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odd flying problem mini 1

David Smith

Reactions
Hi Guys. I'll make this short. I hope it's an easy fix. I have a very small back garden. Surrounded by other houses. So. I need to get up high as quickly as possible. Its only just started doing this by the way. I get the drone hovering. I then push the left stick all the way forward. But when I do that. Not only does it go up. But goes forward at roughly at roughly 45 Degrees too. I've tried all the settings in all four stick modes. But can't change it. Help my please guys.
Dave (In the UK )

Mine does that sometimes. Try going easier on the stick until it's going vertical before maxing it, is what I would do.

Alternatively, in mode 2, pull the right stick back a little at the same time to correct the tilt angle.

Or, point the nose into the wind before takeoff.

Last edited:
@David Smith it should not go forwards when you move the left stick up in mode two try a stick calibration as suggested ,and also check that all the other stick movements control the drone as they should

Hi Guys. I'll make this short. I hope it's an easy fix. I have a very small back garden. Surrounded by other houses. So. I need to get up high as quickly as possible. Its only just started doing this by the way. I get the drone hovering. I then push the left stick all the way forward. But when I do that. Not only does it go up. But goes forward at roughly at roughly 45 Degrees too. I've tried all the settings in all four stick modes. But can't change it. Help my please guys.
Dave (In the UK )
Yeah that is odd. Ive got over 2,000 flight hours on the mini and never had that issue but if I were to guess I'd say maybe try a a RC calibration. Something I've never needed to do but sounds like a good place to start. Ill see what I can find out for ya

Mine does that sometimes. Try going easier on the stick until it's going vertical before maxing it, is what I would do.

Alternatively, in mode 2, pull the right stick back a little at the same time to correct the tilt angle.

Or, point the nose into the wind before takeoff.
Thanks. I've done all of those things. It never was like that. Been ok for a whole year. Looks like I'll have to get used to pulling back slightly on take off. Ta Dave

Yeah that is odd. Ive got over 2,000 flight hours on the mini and never had that issue but if I were to guess I'd say maybe try a a RC calibration. Something I've never needed to do but sounds like a good place to start. Ill see what I can find out for ya
Thanks for that too. I've seen 'RC calibrate'. And wondered if that might help. It hovers in one spot perfectly. Is that something I can do when the drone is hovering, or does it have to be on the floor. motors running or off?
Dave

Thanks. I've done all of those things. It never was like that. Been ok for a whole year. Looks like I'll have to get used to pulling back slightly on take off. Ta Dave
So you've done a RC calibration? I tried doing it once like 4 years ago when I was just trying it out and I remember it was a bit confusing and screwed it up until I watched a You Tube video that helped me make since of pushing the little ball around the square.

Thanks for that too. I've seen 'RC calibrate'. And wondered if that might help. It hovers in one spot perfectly. Is that something I can do when the drone is hovering, or does it have to be on the floor. motors running or off?
Dave
I cant remember exactly, its been a few years but im pretty sure you do it with just the RC. Dont think you even need to power up the aircraft cuz you're calibrating the sticks on the RC so that when you push the sticks in a direction it knows what you're asking it to do then it tell the drone second. Even as as far as the amount of pressure you put push. It has to know where the perameters are so if you only give it half throttle or half stick it doesn't read full stick. Im fairly certain thats gonna be where the problem lies for you. It cant give you a warning like the compass does so without an issue like you're having you have no other way of knowing. You wouldn't realize it if say it was 90 or 95% correct cuz im sure it slowly went from 100% one day to 99 and so on unless you are pushing way to hard on them or its been dropped. Hope all that makes sense and helps. I wouldnt waste another second without at least trying it. Go to You Tube and punch in RC calibration im sure there's a few tutorials. Let me know how it goes cuz thats something we could all need to know at some point

If you go to RC calibration with the drone on, it will tell you to turn it off to proceed. It's a very simple process with you moving the sticks several times through full mechanical range. It also includes the scroll wheel. The app should tell you when it is successful.

If it doesn't calibrate send it to DJI...it should go straight up ...period!
Thats not as easy and good as it may sound if you've never been through that process b4. Imagine just getting or just learning to enjoy your expensive toy or tool youve paid all this money for but because of the winter months you really haven't wanted to suffer the cold and now its spring and getting warmer. Then boom something pretty simple went wrong and now you gotta ship it to DJI and be put ona a covid waiting list b4 they can examine it. It could take 2 to 3 months to get taken care of and you better hope it wasn't something simple and now they have an option to just ship you back a refurbished one you have no idea how many flight hours on it or treated but its got a new shinny :$30 outer shell on it and now you get it back but you still have a couple months of warm weather thank God so you go to test it out and find out its either not your brand new drone that only had a few miles on it or they misunderstood what you meant but they couldn't find an issue twith what they assumed the issue was and sent it back as no visual problem that we could find and now you're right back where you started 2 or 3 months ago plus dealing with one of those scenarios i laid out but either way you're still missing the warm weather. You gonna send it back again with a better explanation this time and chance crapping out the remainder of the summer months now missing good summer months waited just to get this polished terd so you lick your wounds and s refurbished old crashed up drone from last year?

Thats not as easy and good as it may sound if you've never been through that process b4.
Tell me about it..ha ha..but once you get the mailing label it goes smoothly. I had to send mine in after 18 months. They replaced the stick modules which are cheap but the labor is 65. When I questioned them as to why the parts were bad they discounted it down to 65 total and sent me a brand new drone and controller. As far as I know there was nothing wrong with my drone. I had just sent it along as I had no use for it without the controller. This was all at the very beginning of the shut down and I think things have speeded up some.
I fly my 1 fairly often but now I always cycle the sticks and gimbal wheel before powering it up. I have had it drift after takeoff with very little wind and a quick cycle of the sticks stops the drift so that is my thinking for that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian