DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Odyssey - A cinematic flight through Michigan’s UP

RadioFlyerMan

Premium Pilot
Reactions
If you are someone curious about Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, this is for you. And there is a lot more to see...

Here is the extended version. It is best viewed at 1080p format if you have the band width. It's about 13 minutes long which has the potential to put you to sleep. But it has a more in-depth look and comprehensive soundtrack.

This is a brief version for a quick look. It is a little over 6 minutes, but it move right along.

Last edited:
I heart the U.P. and travel across it on Rt 2 several times a year with occasional excursions to other parts. The Garden Peninsula is one of my faves - Fayette in particular. I have hundreds of photos of it and would love to photograph it from the air but doubt that’s possible.

I photographed the Cut River bridge - a perennial favorite - earlier this summer (stills only) but chickened out when it came to flying under it. Looks great with the new paint job. I’d love to do it again with fall color which is spectacular there.

The Mackinac Bridge is on my to-do list but I’m unsure of where to launch without getting yelled at. It looks like you were on the Mackinaw City side, yes?

Your video is lovely and not overly long in my book. I’d love to see more. Very nice work; thanks for sharing

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I heart the U.P. and travel across it on Rt 2 several times a year with occasional excursions to other parts. The Garden Peninsula is one of my faves - Fayette in particular. I have hundreds of photos of it and would love to photograph it from the air but doubt that’s possible.

I photographed the Cut River bridge - a perennial favorite - earlier this summer (stills only) but chickened out when it came to flying under it. Looks great with the new paint job. I’d love to do it again with fall color which is spectacular there.

The Mackinac Bridge is on my to-do list but I’m unsure of where to launch without getting yelled at. It looks like you were on the Mackinaw City side, yes?

Your video is lovely and not overly long in my book. I’d love to see more. Very nice work; thanks for sharing
Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the Mackinac Bridge, I have been very hesitant to fly close to it as I thought there might be some regulation against drones. I never found any on the web nor did I see any "no drone" signs. So I decided to try it. I flew from both sides. On the Mackinaw City side, I operated from the parking area adjacent to the fort, making sure there was no one close by. The clouds and sun angle being what they were did not produce the best video. Also, the wind was pretty strong that day, but I managed.

So then I went to the Bridge View Park on the St. Ignace side. I operated from the grass on the north west side of the information building and away from any tourists. That was the best location as I first flew first to the west over the water then to the south to get my shot. The clouds and sun angle produced some great results which were included in my video.

Regarding flying under the Cut River Bridge, I was prepared to lose GPS, but it did not happen. I did it twice with no problem at all.

Last edited:
To everyone, thanks for all your great comments.

As to the length of the video, I was very concerned about that, and so was my assisting editor (my wife). Most of my landscape videos are anywhere from 1.5 to 3 minutes. The one above is over 6 minutes. Ouch!

For this endeavor, I first made a full featured video that is 13 minutes long! Many of the scenes break all the rules of being too long and losing the viewer's interest. So I reduced the length by removing a few scenes, and shortening each scene to 4 seconds, thus the "abbreviated version". It does move at a pretty good clip, but for someone who was there, it loses the flavor of the experience.

Naturally I prefer the longer, 13 minute version. It has a more relaxed viewing pattern. It's sound track has been significantly modified and resynchronized. But it could be a real snooze job for someone with only a passing interest.

Anyway, If you are so inclined, here is the full featured version...

Reactions: Pilgrim Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61