DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Ok, so I'm going back down to OBX this weekend and there are some dredgers about 3mi offshore. Really tossing around the idea of flying out to one.

That shouldn't be a problem stock right? Tips?

What do you guys use to calculate headwind/tailwind?

I would do it at sunrise. Sit on a lifeguard stand and fly straight out.

Ok, so I'm going back down to OBX this weekend and there are some dredgers about 3mi offshore. Really tossing around the idea of flying out to one.

That shouldn't be a problem stock right? Tips?

What do you guys use to calculate headwind/tailwind?

I would do it at sunrise. Sit on a lifeguard stand and fly straight out.

If there is any wind, it's not so easy. I wouldn't do the flight of you have significant cross or tail wind going out.

Make sure you use p mode and turn obstacle advance off for a 32mph ground speed. This is the safest approach to cover distance while handling up to moderate wind.

Right. I saw people doing that or the sport mode trick and watching the meter. P mode with OA off sounds simpler.

How high off the ocean? I know low is usually better. That's why I asked how to calculate the wind so I can find a tail wind...

Right. I saw people doing that or the sport mode trick and watching the meter. P mode with OA off sounds simpler.

How high off the ocean? I know low is usually better. That's why I asked how to calculate the wind so I can find a tail wind...

I'm the one that came up with the sport mode with tachometer modulation approach. I generally use that with external batteries when I'm returning home with a tail wind. P mode is good for going out in heard wind. If you have more than 4mph tail wind coming home, sport mode is a bit more efficient in my experience, with full right stick. P mode will get the job done as well.

Regarding height, 150 ft should be good. Not so important. You don't need to go too high as signal will be strong over water.

I'm the one that came up with the sport mode with tachometer modulation approach. I generally use that with external batteries when I'm returning home with a tail wind. P mode is good for going out in heard wind. If you have more than 4mph tail wind coming home, sport mode is a bit more efficient in my experience, with full right stick. P mode will get the job done as well.

So, are you just using the delta from 32mph to figure out the headwind/tailwind? Or is there an app you guys use for this?

I saw one overlay that showed the wind direction on top of the route...

So, are you just using the delta from 32mph to figure out the headwind/tailwind? Or is there an app you guys use for this?

I saw one overlay that showed the wind direction on top of the route...

I use weather app to check wind, like windy or even Google weather. I use the speed and shaded area of tachometer to judge wind speed and direction.

I downloaded an app called Windfinder. The forecast looks like I'll probably have a tailwind on the way out, avg 8 knots, east to northeast...

I downloaded an app called Windfinder. The forecast looks like I'll probably have a tailwind on the way out, avg 8 knots, east to northeast...

It's a higher risk flight in that case, but doable. In this case flying out in sports mode could be better. You'll use very little power going out, like 25% you 30% battery in sport mode. Coming back you'll use 55% to 60% battery or so in p mode obstacle avoidance off. Stay low, like 150 ft to avoid early low batteryl landing mode, as it's calculated based on height.

Ok, so what am I looking for in sport mode?

Watch rpm/power in tachometer. Flying with the wind it should stay low, under 60%. You'll get out quick using very little power going with the wind. That 40mph ground speed is really 30mph air speed in sport mode in this scenario. That's an efficient approach.

Watch rpm/power in tachometer. Flying with the wind it should stay low, under 60%. You'll get out quick using very little power going with the wind. That 40mph ground speed is really 30mph air speed in sport mode in this scenario. That's an efficient approach.

I should add, if you reach auto landing mode, you can still fly. You simply need to push elevator stick up to maintain altitude. I think you should make it back before it reaches auto landing mode around at 11% battery remaining. If not, you should be very close to home and can fly it in.

Reactions: sprtbkrydr
Ok, so what am I looking for in sport mode?
Just make sure you know the p-speed in no wind conditions. This way you can see how much headwind you cope with. Also have a good indication on wind on the surface. In stable atmospheric condition the wind will turn clockwards with altitude so a crosswind can become headwind/tailwind once 100'up.

Reactions: sprtbkrydr

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent