DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official verdict for me. Not buying M3 Cine.

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
Ok, that's it. As a Pro I have unfortunately now eliminated the Cine as an option.

JBSonic's post in another forum "Who All Has Returned Their M3 Due to Issues?" outlines a MAJOR problem for Pros with having a single, non-removable SSD drive:

"...my Cine version doesn't connect to my PC, can't get any footage from it. Dji support couldn't solve it either. So guess it's gonna go back for a refund"
It brings to mind the old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", which DJI has, and which no Pro can ever afford to do.

Kinda glad in a way.... I just saved myself some serious money and I don't have to stress over the pros and cons of each version any more! A faulty SSD as an integral part of the aircraft makes the Cine version totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands!) and Pros can't afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now off the table, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.

Back to the outback with my M2P I guess!

did
DJI offer to replace the drone?

Reactions: Droniac
Love the shots, the editing, the pacing and the music choice. Only a few people can keep me watching an entire sequence of drone footage that long. (I have the attention span of my dogs when they have a choice between food and a squirrel on the back deck). LOL

Ok, that's it. As a Pro I have unfortunately now eliminated the Cine as an option.

JBSonic's post in another forum "Who All Has Returned Their M3 Due to Issues?" outlines a MAJOR problem for Pros with having a single, non-removable SSD drive:

"...my Cine version doesn't connect to my PC, can't get any footage from it. Dji support couldn't solve it either. So guess it's gonna go back for a refund"
It brings to mind the old saying "Don't put all your eggs in one basket", which DJI has, and which no Pro can ever afford to do.

Kinda glad in a way.... I just saved myself some serious money and I don't have to stress over the pros and cons of each version any more! A faulty SSD as an integral part of the aircraft makes the Cine version totally and utterly unacceptable for Pros. I have NEVER had an issue with the 20 or so SSDs (mainly Samsung) I own and use in other cameras. On a commercial job the contents of that drive could well be worth many thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands!) and Pros can't afford to lose the data OR have a delay in accessing it, as often jobs are time-critical for the client. At least that option is now off the table, now I am just left with the decision on whether to buy a standard M3 at all.

Down Under is a magical place. Beautiful video!

Beautiful video, with stunning subject, and masterfully captured. But the video does show the limit of Mavic 2 Pro (e.g., lower Bit rate, poor handling of highlights in some higher dynamic range scene). I see you have been complaining about various issues with Mavic 3 in different forums - but even with all of that, I bet you can shoot the same video with vastly improved quality and more interesting angle (e.g., much higher Bit rate, 4K/60P/120P, telephoto lens, ultrawide lens, better handling of the highlights), even with a standard version of Mavic 3. A true master knows how to get the most of the tool. The combined benefits this new drone bring to the table still out-weight its drawbacks.

Great video as always Chris. I’m curious about your decision to switch to a 2.39:1 aspect ratio? I’ve been playing around with that aspect ratio as well and still undecided if I am going to use it going forward.

One interesting tib bit I found that you might find interesting is that if you set up your timeline as 2.39:1 and export in that format rather than using output blanking to put in black boxes it will actually play using the full width of many smartphone screens.

Here’s an example and if you play it on your phone you should see a difference between how it is handled and the video you posted. BTW I know the cinematography here is over the top lol. It’s almost a joke. I was asked to make a 3 minute video of this property but it really only needed to be about 1 minute to get the idea so I had to get creative.

Edit: Nevermind, after posting this here I realized your video is also output as 2.39:1, it’s just the embedded Vimeo player that isn’t using the full screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac

Having just viewed your wonderful outback video, why on Earth do you even contemplate getting a Mavic 3 drone?
Your expertise with the M2P is astounding. Please carry on as you are and if you must have the '3' then at least wait until Dji release the 'whole' drone in January.
Thank you for sharing your video!

Chris:

This was a tour de force of beautiful scenes. Everything was so well done, I watched it in its entirety twice in a row. You are a true professional. We should all aspire this level of excellence.

Dale
Miami

I'm not anything approaching a Pro so acquiring the latest and greatest has never been a driver to spend money on the latest and greatest. Having been in the electronics industry for 40 years I've seen far too many problems with the all new, highly anticipate product release to jump on any bandwagon as test pilot for the latest drone, computer, phone, etc.

Love the video and music!
Thanks PAW, I usually start with the music to edit to and have found that Artlist.io has the best. It's an annual subscription but covers all music rights everywhere.

Chris:

This was a tour de force of beautiful scenes. Everything was so well done, I watched it in its entirety twice in a row. You are a true professional. We should all aspire this level of excellence.

Dale
Miami
Thanks Dale, but I always believe in trying harder each time, even if it is only incremental. But I guess that's why I get so disappointed when the system with the next level sensor isn't ready to come with me on the journey! Anyway I may still end up getting the standard M3, we'll see.

Having just viewed your wonderful outback video, why on Earth do you even contemplate getting a Mavic 3 drone?
Your expertise with the M2P is astounding. Please carry on as you are and if you must have the '3' then at least wait until Dji release the 'whole' drone in January.
Thank you for sharing your video!
Unusual circumstances for me though Yogi, I love creating the "art" side, but I also have the business side of 4K stock footage licensing so (within your means) you are always needing to future-proof your footage, which means best quality at the time.

Reactions: Yogi053
I'm not anything approaching a Pro so acquiring the latest and greatest has never been a driver to spend money on the latest and greatest. Having been in the electronics industry for 40 years I've seen far too many problems with the all new, highly anticipate product release to jump on any bandwagon as test pilot for the latest drone, computer, phone, etc.
Exactly!

Love the shots, the editing, the pacing and the music choice. Only a few people can keep me watching an entire sequence of drone footage that long. (I have the attention span of my dogs when they have a choice between food and a squirrel on the back deck). LOL
I think I'm similar sometimes Marc!

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54