DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Offline Maps - Mavic 2 Zoom

Karakoram

Reactions
Hey folks!

I will be soon heading off to parts of the Karakoram mountain range where there's absolutely no network available and want to be able to get access to maps while I am flying there. Is there any way to download maps ahead of time while I'm in the city so I can navigate while in the air and offline? I found one video on YT suggesting an app called 'Here we go' and am trying that now, but also wondering if there's more wisdom on here that could help me ensure I have something reliable to go by.

Thanks much!

Naveed

Are you Android or Apple ?
When I flew with an Android tablet I could download maps no problem for use off line using Google Maps, I liked the satellite view.
I tested out an iPad and at best I thought using offline maps was pathetic no satellite view if offline.
I now have a Smart Controller & it’s back to being pathetic, no more Google Maps.

Reactions: Karakoram
Are you Android or Apple ?
When I flew with an Android tablet I could download maps no problem for use off line using Google Maps, I liked the satellite view.
I tested out an iPad and at best I thought using offline maps was pathetic no satellite view if offline.
I now have a Smart Controller & it’s back to being pathetic, no more Google Maps.
Cyborg, thanks for replying! I'm Apple, I've downloaded all the relevant maps on my Google Maps app but won't really know how they work until I'm up there. I don't necessarily need Sat maps as long as I can tell where the key landmarks that I need are. You think that will work? I'm surprised DJI doesn't have the option to download maps already!

Interesting. I’ve not had any issue with the satellite image through Apple device.
That‘s my preferred image.

I’ll
It was the way they didn't actually save to the iPad that annoyed me, turn it off and the map is no more.
Couldn't get satellite view without internet connection.
I‘ll go back through the system and see how I’m doing it. Been so long, it’s just second nature.

DJI Maps do not use Google. Even if it did, it's a separate retrieval than what Google Maps app uses. The apps do not share data.

OK DanMan32 I may be wrong.
Never the less when I used my Android tablet I could open offline maps and have the map box full screen, easily navigating to the area I wanted giving me approximately an area of 6 square miles.
With the Smart Controller it shows a pathetic little strip, yes I can zoom in but it’s still pathetic compared to me Tablet.

Last edited:
OK DanMan32I may be wrong.
Never the less when I used my Android tablet I could open offline maps and have the map box full screen, easily navigating to the area I wanted giving me approximately an area of 6 square miles.
With the Smart Controller it shows a pathetic little strip, yes I can zoom in but it’s still pathetic compared to me Tablet.
I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the tiny selection area when selecting the region you wish to download the offline maps.

Any suggestions or work around to make the selection area bigger?

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing the tiny selection area when selecting the region you wish to download the offline maps.

Any suggestions or work around to make the selection area bigger?
Although I'm not an android user but so far everywhere I've looked and everyone I've spoken to about this says the same thing, you have to use the tiny selection field and make sure you're selecting not just the part of the map you need offline access to but also a few selections around it to make sure you have everything covered. I think it's just to ensure the least amount of memory usage while ensuring you get the details right.

[Q
Although I'm not an android user but so far everywhere I've looked and everyone I've spoken to about this says the same thing, you have to use the tiny selection field and make sure you're selecting not just the part of the map you need offline access to but also a few selections around it to make sure you have everything covered. I think it's just to ensure the least amount of memory usage while ensuring you get the details right.

I think I might open a support ticket with DJI and see what they may suggest,

Can someone confirm the small offline area issue occurs with DJI PILOT for the Smart Controller or it's just specific to DJI GO 4

There is no way to save a cache map using the Go or Fly app using IOS if you turn off your devise. There’s been all kinds of suggestions but I’ve tried them all and unless you keep your devise on (which is rarely feasible) none of them work. It’s a huge failure on dji that they can’t make this feature usable to those of us that rarely fly with internet connection.

There is no way to save a cache map using the Go or Fly app using IOS if you turn off your devise. There’s been all kinds of suggestions but I’ve tried them all and unless you keep your devise on (which is rarely feasible) none of them work. It’s a huge failure on dji that they can’t make this feature usable to those of us that rarely fly with internet connection.
Yup that's what I've found out everywhere I looked. Will just have to make sure everything is updated and avoid shutting down or restarting. Huge failure on DJI's part for sure! Cheers

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada