Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oh boy... we are all flying spy drones! DHS warns of 'strong concerns'

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMann

Reactions
Last edited:
What about Microsoft selling(or just giving) world wide stolen sensitive datas from PCs all over the world to the US government ?

You are right, everyone is doing it. The Chinese just one upped us by producing a product so many want. It’s a perfect espionage tool, and the whole idea that users concerned with security issues were failing to realize this is surprising.

At least I don’t have to worry about it, they can have all my photos they want as I don't fly in any security sensitive areas...

0200 Beijing time. Sirens go off in a Chinese bunker. The crew scrambles from their beds and gathers quickly in the central command room.
A message pops up on an overly large screen.

Downloading Sensitive Flight Data...
95% Completed
100% Completed
Generating report... Done.

The personnel clenches their cheeks, ready for the worst. Finally, a computerized AI voice announces through a loudspeaker:

"Declare national emergency. Joe has crashed his Syma in the backyard again."

Oh man! I'm threatening US national security by giving away data to China. Soon they'll know all the best places to shoot sunsets over the deserts, mountains and lakes near me. :) I suppose this is a more legit concern for flyers who aren't hobbyists like me. I'm sure the media will have a heyday though. Must be Monday.

You think they are going to use Hwuahie and DJI againt us.
Why all the negative energy toward the Chinese lately anyway.
There a friendly Nation last I checked

Yes, im sure you have all the angles regarding US, China relations, and Potential War from reading the internet news

PS: And if War was fought like the last one, which it never is, I think google maps would provide the Chinese enough Geo info
to put boots on the ground in the right places.
I think they have their own satellites anyway.
I agree with the guy up there though. If they want to invade "Red Dawn" style Hwuaei and DJI Drones will do the work for them,

Yes, im sure you have all the angles regarding US, China relations, and Potential War from reading the internet news

PS: And if War was fought like the last one, which it never is, I think google maps would provide the Chinese enough Geo info
to put boots on the ground in the right places.
I think they have their own satellites anyway.
I agree with the guy up there though. If they want to invade "Red Dawn" style Hwuaei and DJI Drones will do the work for them,

I freaked out some of my relatives by sharing a Litchi VM animation with them of their properties- they asked when did I fly my drone like that at their house and why didn’t I tell them I was in town? It was worse when I said it was just a simulation from GoogleEarth, they said all that is on the internet?! Well, yes...

If anything, this shows how unprepared the general public is for technological advancement. Things like super-batteries, sentient AI or self-driving cars. Imagine the freakout if trashcans suddenly start talking to people. "Thank you for not littering, miss pretty blonde in a plaid shirt!"

Reactions: wdbryant and Carb63
I tend to worry more about running the DJI assistant and their hackers getting my personal info from the computer. Less concerned about what images they would be getting from my drone (although I can see why it would be concerning to others).

If anything, this shows how unprepared the general public is for technological advancement. Things like super-batteries, sentient AI or self-driving cars. Imagine the freakout if trashcans suddenly start talking to people. "Thank you for not littering, miss pretty blonde in a plaid shirt!"

Our local Chick-Fil-A restaurants have a trash can that senses your approach and opens up for you when you walk up to it.

Attachments

• eftbl5ep0r811.jpg
    eftbl5ep0r811.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 104
Our local Chick-Fil-A restaurants have a trash can that senses your approach and opens up for you when you walk up to it.

I've seen butler robots in hotels, too, and yet somehow people don't run around screaming when approached by one. Maybe we should dress our drones in fluffy clouds and rainbows to evoke some feel-good vibe in the general public. Mavic 2 Happy Fluff Edition. You heard it here first.

But yeah, whatevs. People will find a way to overreact about literally everything, including a rainbow from a sprinkler. Can't wait for those people to produce some actual evidence to back up their claims. It's going to be hard given how 99.9% of population doesn't even know what a TCP stack is.

And it's not like there's any sensitive information a drone could gather that you can't just extrapolate from publicly available mapping services, or things people post to Facebook. I wonder how many of them shared this exact story there. ;-] Can't wait for this age of information paranoia to finally be over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who would have thought, the DHS page is actually quite reasonable, besides being so generic it could apply to pretty much all electronics. But no, spy drones! I wonder how many people actually took a minute to think about legitimate threats drones posess, like getting hit by a prop or having your property damaged, which is far closer to a real-life scenario than some mysterios boogeyman spying on the boring life of average Joe.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
You think they are going to use Hwuahie and DJI againt us.
Why all the negative energy toward the Chinese lately anyway.
There a friendly Nation last I checked

Maybe it wouldn't be a military so niche that it is not designed to fight any other nation except the USA... Nah... Can't be that!

Maybe it wouldn't be a military so niche that it is not designed to fight any other nation except the USA... Nah... Can't be that!

Come again? Typos are ok but when you leave out words..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N