DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Ohhhhh Noooooo!!!

How did you get it to do that????????? Normally the downward looking sensors will slow it up as the ground comes within their range. That was Phantom 3 behaviour.
Why didn't you slow the descent manually?

Reactions: D_The_Producer
How did you get it to do that????????? Normally the downward looking sensors will slow it up as the ground comes within their range. That was Phantom 3 behaviour.
Why didn't you slow the descent manually?
I had just got the drone back from being repaired and I’m guessing they updated the software too as the descent was at least twice as fast as what I’m used to. This was with a Mini 2.

Since your drone was descending faster than normal, I wonder if your blades went into a condition known as "Vortex Ring State?" I don't if that is what happened with you, but I think my first drone did. It is a fixed-body drone. I had taken it up to 150 ft over my backyard. I "decided" it would be a good idea to bring it down as quick as possible (first drone - was still learning). I pulled back on the left stick. As it dropped, I saw how fast and tried to throttle up to slow the descent. It kept right on dropping and bounced several times on the lawn. Had to replace a blade and a gear. I don't do that anymore.

This article explains it: Vortex Ring State

Did it do any significant damage when it landed, or just some annoying scuffs?

Nothing there to give you a thumbs up for...what the heck happened?...Sorry for your run of misfortune?
The descent was at least twice as fast as what I’m used to. I wasn’t paying attention!
You went for the "up close" view!! Congrats on the Boxster - They are fun cars.
Oh yes they are!
So is the drone ok to fly again?...you may have had it in sport mode
I still fly it. It’s not perfect, but it will do for now. And yes, I did have it in sport mode but I always do. It was an extraordinarily fast descent that I was not prepared for. Guess that’ll teach me!

Since your drone was descending faster than normal, I wonder if your blades went into a condition known as "Vortex Ring State?" I don't if that is what happened with you, but I think my first drone did. It is a fixed-body drone. I had taken it up to 150 ft over my backyard. I "decided" it would be a good idea to bring it down as quick as possible (first drone - was still learning). I pulled back on the left stick. As it dropped, I saw how fast and tried to throttle up to slow the descent. It kept right on dropping and bounced several times on the lawn. Had to replace a blade and a gear. I don't do that anymore.

I have no idea, guess that’s a possibility though.

Wow. Sorry. That is a beautiful car and appears to be in great shape. I second the suggestion earlier about taking drop from the skyoff and going up slowly and then reverse the video. I do that often and it works fine.
I most definitely would not have done that if I knew the drone was going to drop from the sky. Won’t do that again!

A couple little marks. Ticked me off though.
I can imagine, you spend big $$ to get your fav car and manage to ding it shortly thereafter with a self inflicted wound. However, could have been worse.

I read the article (interesting). Has anyone figured out how to recover a drone from the similar condition? Cut the power? Hold the power but call for a lateral motion?

Reactions: Prop Wash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio