DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Ohio Stadium - "The Shoe"

muchuckwagon

Reactions
While I'm not the biggest Ohio State fan, I know my audience. The photographs and video I captured on this flight with my MA2 has generated a ton of interest within my circle of friends.

I know the video slows down a little in the middle but I welcome any constructive feedback. Thanks!

It doesn't look like you went much over 300' in altitude, maybe less, nonetheless, isn't the stadium directly in the landing approach for the Port Columbus, International Airport?

It doesn't look like you went much over 300' in altitude, maybe less, nonetheless, isn't the stadium directly in the landing approach for the Port Columbus, International Airport?

Fair question, the stadium is about 1.2 miles outside the restricted airspace for the Columbus airport and 1.5 miles from the restricted airspace for the OSU airport. I did review airspace restrictions before flying and always comply with any known restrictions. The bigger concern is helicopter traffic for the nearby hospital. I had a close call, by my own standards but not in reality, with a helicopter (non-medical) that basically decided to "buzz" the stadium relatively low. My guess, they wanted to get a closer look at the stadium based on the time of day and the fact there were basically no students on campus.

Fair question, the stadium is about 1.2 miles outside the restricted airspace for the Columbus airport and 1.5 miles from the restricted airspace for the OSU airport. I did review airspace restrictions before flying and always comply with any known restrictions. The bigger concern is helicopter traffic for the nearby hospital. I had a close call, by my own standards but not in reality, with a helicopter (non-medical) that basically decided to "buzz" the stadium relatively low. My guess, they wanted to get a closer look at the stadium based on the time of day and the fact there were basically no students on campus.

When I lived there, the police helicopters were always zooming over Ohio State since it was a direct route from their heliport to north Columbus. I worked for Ohio State for several years doing video for their recruiting. fundraising and more and we always knew not to shoot on the Oval in the late afternon because one jet after another was on approach to Port Columbus and it blew out any audio we were recording.

O - H!

When I lived there, the police helicopters were always zooming over Ohio State since it was a direct route from their heliport to north Columbus. I worked for Ohio State for several years doing video for their recruiting. fundraising and more and we always knew not to shoot on the Oval in the late afternon because one jet after another was on approach to Port Columbus and it blew out any audio we were recording.

O - H!
I-O!

Very nice! It feels like most people in Columbus believe OSU is the center of the universe....and it doesn't seem like many people leave. The greater Columbus area is a good place to raise a family.

Between COVID and a lack of football games (currently), campus was a ghost town which is why I decided to fly at that time. I really don't make it down to campus but a handful of times per year but there was practically no jet traffic when I was flying. I'm guessing that is also the result of COVID. When in doubt, blame COVID. My goal is to try and squeeze in Huntington Ballpark in the next week or two

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929