DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok, im convinced the magnetic usb cable is affecting my Mavic 2.

silverdragon

Reactions
Again, the drone went bonkers with the magnetic adapter part that I inserted into the Remote Controller. Several month back when I INSERTED the part into the RC the Mavic 2 acted out by loosing connection when the drone was 100, 200 feet away from controller. (Keep in mind, I had ZERO issues with the Mavic at that time) I had 1 incident a few weeks back when the drone ascended on it's own when in Pano mode. ( I posted about that incident) NOW, last night I decided to try that adapter part again by inserting it into the RC and the drone acted bonkers right away. As soon I initiated a auto take off the drone started these jerking motion while hovering and then I pushed the right stick forward (Mode 2) and the drone went forward and when I let the stick go the drone kept going forward so I panicked I pulled left stick down and nothing happened so panicking more I push left stick up the drone started going up and I let the stick go the drone kept going up so then I hit the cancel button the drone stopped and went into a hover. I then pulled left stick down and the drown went down to a landing...WOW, my hearted pumping I feet light and weird. So I then retrieved the drone took out that adapter from remote and tried drone again. The drone flew perfectly fine as nothing was wrong with it...........I am now convinced that magnetic adapter affects my drone... Maybe other have no issues with it but my drone does.....NO MORE USING IT. . .

I only use the magnetic cable to charge in order to fix the design flaw on the side port. I use a quality USB to USB-C for phone connection from the bottom port for flying. I have not seen or experienced any issues as you describe. I wonder what the flight logs would tell someone that is able to analyze them in details. I know people help with that for other issues and it would be fun to see what it says the sticks are doing versus what is being sent to the drone.

Have you tried the same experiment flying without the phone connected? Just to eliminate another variable.

I am with you on not using it if you are having issues and I will definitely be watching my own. Could you link the specific cable you are using? Perhaps it's specific to the cable? Here is the one I use just fine: Amazon Link

I’ve been using them in my MP and M2P for awhile and.
leave mine in the controller all the time. Never an issue
with mine.
Do like you say and don’t use it and if your issue continues
that will rule that out. I wouldn’t be convinced just leaving it
out for a few flights was it though.

Reactions: tleedom
I guess it's possible. Is the adapter designed for data use or just charging?
That's a good question. The circular adapters are charge only.

This is the little devastator......I use a CrystalSky with the M2Z so I'm using the bottom connection on RC so the magnetic adapter is just attached by itself when flying.. all I know is the magnet is so strong when I place the part that connects to that little monster it can be 4 inches away and it attracts to each other.

Attachments

• 20190704_092912.jpg
    20190704_092912.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
  • 20190704_092439.jpg
    20190704_092439.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 103
This is the little devastator......I use a CrystalSky with the M2Z so I'm using the bottom connection on RC so the magnetic adapter is just attached by itself when flying.. all I know is the magnet is so strong when I place the part that connects to that little monster it can be 4 inches away and it attracts to each other.

That in itself could be an issue, since the full-sized USB port is generally not active when anything is plugged into the micro-USB port.

The magnetic end adapter doesn't disable the bottom port on the controller, based on my experience. It's only disabled when cable end is attached to the side.

Hmmmm...? I have the same setup. A magnetized plug in the side port for charging, leave it in there all the time, and use the bottom USB with an Anker cable attached to my pad. I was concerned about the magnet months ago, but a lot of pilots didn't have a problem, so I started using it.

I don't have any hard evidence of a problem during flight. But I'm certainly open to issues experienced by others.

Last edited:
there are metal contacts on each end of the cable and adapter. They make pressure contact by the attraction of the magnet to the receiving end of the cable. If there is no power or signal along the lines the controller doesn't see anything as inserted. There is no sensor or trigger in the controller that senses something physical inserted, only something electrical on the controller's contacts.

there are metal contacts on each end of the cable and adapter. They make a pressure contact by the attraction of the magnet to the receiving end of the cable.

Yes - I understand how the magnetic connectors work - I'm just curious how the RC knows whether it is just the adapter plugged in, or whether there is a cable attached to it.

Reactions: WAXMAN
That's what I was saying. it requires a signal to know and the connector part by itself generates no signal. Even attaching the cable to the adapter will not trigger the block on the bottom of the controller unless its then plugged into a computer or power source to generate a signal to the controller. This is true even if its the OEM cable plugged into the side of the controller but not connected to anything. The bottom still works.

Reactions: dirkclod
I have left mine in since I got them .
I use these
E7AA2253-222E-40B7-9446-3EC3F8B82E54.jpeg

That's what I was saying. it requires a signal to know and the connector part by itself generates no signal. Even attaching the cable to the adapter will not trigger the block on the bottom of the controller unless its then plugged into a computer or power source to generate a signal to the controller. This is true even if its the OEM cable plugged into the side of the controller but not connected to anything. The bottom still works.

That's not the case, at least with some of the controllers. Just leaving a cable plugged into the side port disables the full-sized port.

Reactions: Kazzaaz
I leave that connecter in both my MP and M2P all the time.It does not effect the bottom usb as that is what I use for my iPad . Not with mine anyway .

That's not the case, at least with some of the controllers. Just leaving a cable plugged into the side port disables the full-sized port.
Interesting. I don't doubt that as a possibility, I have just not read that anywhere nor seen people sharing that information and its inconsistent with my experience with the controller. I don't even know how that would be possible without some sort of physical insertion switch that's not typically built into a micro-USB female port like that.

If anyone can confirm that I would wonder why a good portion of the population is able to leave the cable plugged in and use the bottom while others are not and also which one was the intended design and the other the anomaly.

Well guys and gals, If you are using the magnetic use cable systems when you don't have issues I am happy that you don't.... I have at Mavic Air, Autel Evo to try them on and I hope they work out with those guys.. One thing I do notice, no one on this forum ever posted " I lost my drone because of the usb magnetic cable. So I'm wondering why do I have issues when I use them.

Those are the ones I use never had an issue. Short cable was my problem so before I can't charge at all. I've used them since xmas " for charging only " tried to fly with they disconnected Not Cool so I fly with usb only no problems since. I too was afraid of the magnet conflict but none at all.
I have left mine in since I got them .
I use these
View attachment 76929

Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom