DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OK so now that I'm hooked.

brutus51

Reactions
I've only had my Mavic air 2 for less than a week and I'm loving it, so naturally I have to find out what the next rung in the ladder is.
The Mavic pro seems to similar to what I have, main interest is in upgrading to a unit that has zoom capabilities in photo mode and avoidance sensors all around.
What model am I looking for?:confused:

I've only had my Mavic air 2 for less than a week and I'm loving it, so naturally I have to find out what the next rung in the ladder is.
The Mavic pro seems to similar to what I have, main interest is in upgrading to a unit that has zoom capabilities in photo mode and avoidance sensors all around.
Your looking for an EVO2. It's the only drone that fits your description.

Although Im pretty certain I know what the general Answer might be as it stands with what DJI has right now. I’d personally wait until the Mavic 3 line comes out shortly and see what it has to offer as far as optical zoom etc. or check the Mav3 discussion section on forum. although I would defer to the true experienced pilots on the forum who have a more precise scoop.
for sharing sake: I have the Mavic2 Pro and am more than pleased. I dressed it with a very cool wetsuit (ala phantomrain.com) and fly it in foul weather and wait for Zeuss to throw a bolt or two to capture. How can it be waterproof enough to fly in a storm ? Impressive craftsmanship and extremely well thought out. Neoprene and if you follow the laid out easy directions. Application is fairly exacting but not difficult to put on at all. I think it can be considered a “drone fetish”. If your needs are for using a drone professionally needing zoom capabilities, the forum certainly has lots of info which is priceless as well as the input from all. I know this was a somewhat vague response but felt like saying, hey. Lol. Fly safe and enjoy. I’m thinking you’re gonna need deep pockets. But as you see… it’s worth it. Godspeed, Droniac.

Reactions: dirkclod
There are two drones that Stand Out : Air 2 and the Air2S the video and the Picture are outstanding , the ability to Negotiate the wind are excellent . If you are planning on flying at dusk into Midnight you want get the AIR 2S , it is just better in Low Light .

The only reason why you might get the Mavic 2 Pro or Zoom is if you really want to squeeze out every pixel of every picture but few will ever notice the difference.

When the Air 2 is geared up with the Wet Suit or the Rescue Jacket , its a completely different drone
capable of flying in the Storm and Landing on the Water.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain .

Last edited:
Reactions: maggior and Droniac
Well, the Mavic 2 Zoom has optical and digital zoom and sensors all round and good Zooms are available 2nd hand.
I would suggest NOT getting sucked into the "got to have the latest" or the next model up mindset, there will always be "next models" in the offing.
At a guess you have just spent a fair bit of money and have a perfectly good drone that I bet you have still to master the capabilities of.
Do that and let "must haves" be the guninea pig testers for new models etc., then, after a little while, you may be able to pick up 'new' stuff second hand especially if a tester has crashed, had the drone replaced and then lost interest.
I had to activate my '2nd hand' Zoom and for that matter the '2nd hand' Mini 2 that has just arrived, these were replacements sent out, by DJI, to the original owners who then, having lost interest, sold their 'kit'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: maggior and Droniac
First...take a deep breath. Then go out and fly the heck out of your MA2. Chances are you will discover other features and functionality that you want/need.

Then maybe check out the DJI event on Sept 8th. No idea what is coming along but maybe something will get your attention. Drones are not (yet) in short supply so no need to rush.

While this is a DJI based forum, there are other options out there. The Skydio 2 has my attention due to its mature obstacle avoidance when tracking. As others here demonstrate, there is nothing wrong with having a few different drones for different applications.

Be safe and have fun...

If your zoom need is purely recreational, and you're not in a hurry, I suggest you fly the A2 for a while, at least until the M3 is released. You have a lot to learn with the A2, to be a good pilot, so use the time waiting for M3 release to hone your skillset with the A2. All of the things you learn will help to step into an M3 next year with confidence and skills that will help avoid mishaps.
I have the M2Z that includes a 2X optical zoom. It's really handy to have when you can't get close to something, like animals. And when capturing in 1080 you can get 4X zoom, which adds even more flexibility. It depends on your goals for the end product. If you're looking for the highest quality resolution photos for printing, you should definitely wait for M3 to see what it offers.
I don't recommend the Autel Evo. That company is really unstable, the Evo and Evo2 flight range sucks, plus it's Orange!

Thanks for the replies, only big disappointment with my Air 2 is the inability to zoom in photo mode.

Not sure if the pro can do it.

Reactions: Droniac
Just for clarity are you aware the Mavic Pro is a 2016 drone, the Mavic 2 Pro is a 2018 drone? The latter does not have zoom, I do not know about the former.

Thanks for the replies, only big disappointment with my Air 2 is the inability to zoom in photo mode.

Not sure if the pro can do it.

Nothing is going to zoom very well on a drone, and besides, it's a drone and can very often fly closer to the subject.
As per you question, the M2Z (zoom) does have the optical 2x zoom, but MANY use the superior M2P (2pro) camera and crop out to increase a subjects size.
More than one way to skin a cat (no offence to cat lovers who may be viewing).

What do you think you will use / need a camera zoom for in general ?

Wait for the release today I guess, think with the '5' clue on the DJI release page it will likely be a Phantom 5 ??

(Edit - OM5 phone Gimbal, no new drone.)

Who knows, but I'll see it before all you US based members ?
I should see it if I refresh that page at 1030pm tonight, we'll see.

Last edited:
Like others have suggested, I'd fly the heck out of the one you have before upgrading. Smooth cinematic moves take time to master and it's nice to not be fully reliant on intelligent flight modes.

Reactions: Droniac and NAVMAV

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929