DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ok to fly over State Fairs?

Not sure why your only option is to fly ontop of people... You could easily lift up NEXT to the State fair and have plenty of awesome shots... No need to be flying directly over the fair... There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Haha. Yea I wouldn't be that low 🤣 I mean I'd prob be maybe 100ft up cause youve got tall roller coasters and other rides to avoid
It does not matter how high up you are if your over people it is a illegal flight. Thays why @OJsakila suggested being away from the fair on the side of it not over it.

The problem with over people is if it falls from the sky and hits somebody your at fault. And also with it hitting a ride, food, or game it causes damages that then your liable for. I work at fairs/carnivals and have to get special permission from management before I fly and can only fly before open or days when closed

The problem with over people is if it falls from the sky and hits somebody your at fault. And also with it hitting a ride, food, or game it causes damages that then your liable for. I work at fairs/carnivals and have to get special permission from management before I fly and can only fly before open or days when closed
Yea I think I'm just gonna do a side view hyperlapse now

Not sure if this is the right location. Just went by your location in your name. Looking at the photo you might be in a now fly zone considering how close the hospital is to the fair grounds. Most hospitals have heli pads.
screenshot-www.google.com-2022.09.18-11_12_05.png

I really want to do a hyperlapse before it ends this week but not sure if it's permitted or not. Doesn't seem like it should be an issue, does anyone know ?

You can check B4UFLY, but it's not 100% reliable, so you also need to check if you can even fly in the area. Some public events get a Temporary Flight Restriction and you might have to be 5-miles away to legally fly…

And NO, it is not legal to fly over people no matter what your height is, UNLESS, you have a Part 107 license and you are flying a Class 1 Drone, Less than 250-grams with No Exposed rotating parts that would cause lacerations (that means prop guards….), and come April 2023, the drone will have to have RID…

Today, only the Japanese Mini 2 qualifies, Got One???

My advice, go to the fair with family and friends and eat lots of Funnel Cake, loose a lot of money in the games, but leave the drone home…

Last edited:
You might also check to see if they offer helicopter rides at the fair. If so, you should check to see when they fly or coordinate with them to prevent any unwanted incidents.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I really want to do a hyperlapse before it ends this week but not sure if it's permitted or not. Doesn't seem like it should be an issue, does anyone know ?
I'm curious, did you even consider checking your own city, county, or state laws about this before putting it out to the world to guide you???

Out of curiosity I did a quick check and the State Fair Grouds is considered a State Park. And any drone flights in state parks require written permission...

REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT PERMIT​

Washington State Parks allows the use of remote controlled aircraft, also known as drones or unmanned aircraft systems, on a limited basis. Permits are required for each instance of their use. For adequate processing time, please submit your permit application to the park 60 days prior to the date you plan to fly your remote controlled aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalinbbc27