DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

oktofly vs uavforecast?

Acj412

Reactions
I find that oktofly.com seems to predict much lower gust speeds at altitude than uavforecast (I stay below 400 ft). Which is more accurate? If I follow uavforecast, I would not fly as often, but that would be worth it if it saves my drone from being blown away. Alternatively, is there any other wind speed resource that is better than either?

Just to preface this - I don’t own a Mini, but I do own a lot of Drones. UAVforecast has never let me down.

Reactions: Paulf10
Thanks, I appreciate that uav forecast is a good resource, I'm more interested in anyone who's used oktofly and if it underestimates wind gusts. I suppose if I go with uav forecast I'll never go wrong, but I'll also not be flying as much. Today it predicted wind gusts over 20 mph at 400 feet while oktofly predicted around 10 at the same altitude. Oktofly is made by the same people who make the airdata app, so it's a reputable source, but I want to know if it underestimates wind gusts.

I find that oktofly.com seems to predict much lower gust speeds at altitude than uavforecast (I stay below 400 ft). Which is more accurate? If I follow uavforecast, I would not fly as often, but that would be worth it if it saves my drone from being blown away. Alternatively, is there any other wind speed resource that is better than either?
Neither.
Both are just forecasts and can't tell you what the actual wind is blowing at your particular flying location.

Yes, the oh so overlooked and Majorly avoided TREES! also tall grass for smaller drones as the MM, big trees are gonna take a lot of wend to get moving, tall grass doesn't take much so you can judge by both,
Yup 100% reliable and doesn’t rely on a dodgy algorithm.

• Haha
Reactions: MavicMan17
if you are flying a MM you would not really want to be at 400 ft anyway,while both the apps are a starting point @Meta4 said they are just a forecast you need to make a judgment call at the place you are going to fly by observing the trees looking at how fast the clouds are traveling and whether it is a steady wind or gusty ,and also realise that conditions can change very rapidly during a flight

Reactions: japharl
if you are flying a MM you would not really want to be at 400 ft anyway,while both the apps are a starting point @Meta4 said they are just a forecast you need to make a judgment call at the place you are going to fly by observing the trees looking at how fast the clouds are traveling and whether it is a steady wind or gusty ,and also realise that conditions can change very rapidly during a flight
Of course, the easiest test of how the wind will affect your drone is to put it up and try to fly against the wind.
See how much that knocks the speed of teh drone and then think about how that might affect your flight plan.

Reactions: old man mavic
I never used either of the two sites but just did check how they work. Here in Toulouse the sky is blue and it is very sunny with a few clouds. OK to Fly tells me that I have 51% probability of rain and UAV forecast only 5%. As for twinf speed they are about the same around 15 km/h. I would trend to say UAV is moe accurate (as far as rain is concerned)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser