DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old pilot, but new to drones. New Mavic-mini

TS_Thomas02

Reactions
Ok, 57 years old isn't old, but hey, it's my joke with the younger guys!

I am a real-world airline pilot and I've done earth-bound RC along with my kids, but this is my first jump into drone ownership. My wife thought it would be good for lots of shots while we build our house. I think that means she's officially supportive! Actually, I was on one of my trips and I met a young man near the river-front in Jacksonville, FL. He had some variant of the DJI Phantom and a big Pelican case with lots of gear. He did real estate photos as a business and this day he was just doing some recreational flying. I must have spent an hour chatting with him. It was pretty windy along the river but having something that's as big as a Phantom, I was REALLY impressed with how well it handled those stiff breezes. That's big-boy equipment though. Even my little Mini gave me flashbacks to that "angry beehive" sound! I just did a quick Fam flight in the front yard. Now back to deeper drone study! Glad I found this forum.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Got me beat by a year (56), but still love my Phantom 3 it is a serious aircraft (even to this day). Welcome and remember. Keep it in close and low for quite a few flights to get some stick time. Don't trust that these auto flying thingees always will. Know your aircraft and your "outs". Practice, practice to try to get to perfect. They can be years of fun, or one second of terror..the choice is yours :p

Welcome to our forum, TS Thomas, from Hauptmann in Texas!

You'll find that the Mini almost flies itself. This can lead to overconfidence. Try to be conservative at first, and expand your horizons gradually. The Mini, at only 249 grams, doesn't handle wind as well as the heavier drones do. On windy days it's best to fly the Mini so that you have a tail wind on the way back.

Read your manual (links below), and practice using "Find My Drone". Chances are you'll crash and perhaps lose your drone. Don't wait 'til that happens to try to learn under stress in less than ideal conditions.We have over 100,000 members from around the world--including many in GA--who will help you learn your new hobby! Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can!

Glad you've joined us!

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Ok, 57 years old isn't old, but hey, it's my joke with the younger guys!

I am a real-world airline pilot and I've done earth-bound RC along with my kids, but this is my first jump into drone ownership. My wife thought it would be good for lots of shots while we build our house. I think that means she's officially supportive! Actually, I was on one of my trips and I met a young man near the river-front in Jacksonville, FL. He had some variant of the DJI Phantom and a big Pelican case with lots of gear. He did real estate photos as a business and this day he was just doing some recreational flying. I must have spent an hour chatting with him. It was pretty windy along the river but having something that's as big as a Phantom, I was REALLY impressed with how well it handled those stiff breezes. That's big-boy equipment though. Even my little Mini gave me flashbacks to that "angry beehive" sound! I just did a quick Fam flight in the front yard. Now back to deeper drone study! Glad I found this forum.
Like I said, hello there youngster. I'm 81 years old and been flying my drones for a little over 3 years. As an airline pilot, you know more about flying than I'll ever learn.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: Hauptmann

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair