DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One rear motor is gummed up

steve495

Reactions
There have been a few Mini 2 threads mentioning stuck motors. Sure enough, I pulled out my Mini 2 this morning and one of the motors will not spin. Feeling the difference between the motors, it's pretty obvious the rear motor on the port side is gummed up. Already tried the compressed air route without any luck.

Any other tips? I could not find any additional suggestions.

My Mini 2 has been in storage since February when I received my Mavic 2 Pro. Pulled it out today since I wanted to take it to the Turks & Caicos with the hopes of getting some great images. The Mini 2 would have been perfect for this trip due to its size. I do not want to haul the M2P as this is recreational only.

My DJI Refresh is still active on the Mini 2, but we're leaving in 48 hours. Should have checked it a couple of weeks ago!

Maybe I will haul the M2P with me...

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
...I pulled out my Mini 2 this morning and one of the motors will not spin. Feeling the difference between the motors...
What do you mean by "will not spin" ... & then you feel the difference? Is it stuck or do you feel some slight more resistance when turning it compare to the other 3?

It's very common that at least one of 4 motors have a bit more resistance coming from either a bit stronger magnets or that the bell itself are a bit closer to the poles ... if this is what you feel it sounds normal.

In order to really dig in, you should try to start the motors (on idle only with the CSC command) ... if the suspected motor spin up equal to the others & if it stop equally fast as the others it indicate that it's no problem. You can also check off the mobile device DAT log & there check off both the RPM's & the currant draw for all motors during idle on ground (both RPM's & currant should be fairly the same for all 4 motors).

Sorry not to be clear. I first recognized the issue when I started the M2 up at idle. One prop did not start up and the software indicated a motor issue. Then I felt the difference between the three that were spinning and the one that would not spin at all.
It will spin if I force it by hand. Does not seem sandy, more "gummed up." Most recent flight in January may have been at the ocean (salt air).
I did remove the two props and blew out as best I could with compressed air. No noticeable change.

Update: Spoke with DJI support and they had be try to change the props and do an IMU calibration. No joy. There was an error code and when you started up the drone, one out of four props would not spin up and the others shut down. Then the error displayed. Sorry, do not remember the error or the code.
But it's now going back to DJI and I have to figure out if I'm going to haul the M2P out of the country for my trip...
Bummer...

... Most recent flight in January may have been at the ocean (salt air).
OK ... yeah, some salt water like if a drop or moisture could find it's way down the motor shaft & bearing. Left like that then next is corrosion & salt residues unfortunately.

...Spoke with DJI support and they had be try to change the props and do an IMU calibration. No joy..
Jeez ... the DJI support persons ignorance & eager to get rid of customers calling for support never stops surprising me. Changing props & calibrate thing's will not free up a stuck motor.

OK ... yeah, some salt water like if a drop or moisture could find it's way down the motor shaft & bearing. Left like that then next is corrosion & salt residues unfortunately.

Jeez ... the DJI support persons ignorance & eager to get rid of customers calling for support never stops surprising me. Changing props & calibrate thing's will not free up a stuck motor.
I've had the same experience on my Mini2. I hadn't flown it in the rain or around sand. I rotated the props by hand and it freed up after a couple minutes and a couple tries to start it with the controller.

There have been a few Mini 2 threads mentioning stuck motors. Sure enough, I pulled out my Mini 2 this morning and one of the motors will not spin. Feeling the difference between the motors, it's pretty obvious the rear motor on the port side is gummed up. Already tried the compressed air route without any luck.

Any other tips? I could not find any additional suggestions.

My Mini 2 has been in storage since February when I received my Mavic 2 Pro. Pulled it out today since I wanted to take it to the Turks & Caicos with the hopes of getting some great images. The Mini 2 would have been perfect for this trip due to its size. I do not want to haul the M2P as this is recreational only.

My DJI Refresh is still active on the Mini 2, but we're leaving in 48 hours. Should have checked it a couple of weeks ago!

Maybe I will haul the M2P with me...
Try a light spraying with electrical circuit solvent cleaner. Can be purchased from model shops, electrical parts retailers, electronic hobby shops etc. It may also be the spindle has been pushed slightly out of alignment. Look horizontally at the motor and check the gap is even between the rotating motor and the arm

I purchased my two sons two Mini 2's last year. One of them has a similar problem that randomly one of the motors fails to start up (always the same one). The solution my son found was to run through all the calibrations and it works. That has worked at least 5 or 6 times very consistently. It's annoying but better than spending for a new one. Try it and let us know if it works. My son said he got the solution from a google search from another user.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada