DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One-Way Waypoint Missions (Linear Waypoint Missions)

Avocet

Reactions
This idea comes up periodically. Has anyone done this using Litchi or now DJI Fly Waypoints. I realize we are skirting VLOS issues here. I also assume that a remotely positioned VO does not rectify the VLOS requirement.

Anyone have thoughts about flying from Point 1 to Point x and landing at or near "x"? This would open some filming doors to be certain ..

Thanks for your thoughts.

This idea comes up periodically. Has anyone done this using Litchi or now DJI Fly Waypoints. I realize we are skirting VLOS issues here. I also assume that a remotely positioned VO does not rectify the VLOS requirement.

Anyone have thoughts about flying from Point 1 to Point x and landing at or near "x"? This would open some filming doors to be certain ..

Thanks for your thoughts.
One way missions can now easily be programmed with Waypoints on the Mavic 3. Set loss of signal action to Continue Mission. If the end of the mission is set to Hover over your preplanned safe landing spot at the last Waypoint, it will safely Autoland at the Critical Battery level of 10%. Make sure that loss of signal action for normal flight is also set to Hover rather than RTH. QED.

Reactions: Sir Maxwell Greene
Thanks Double G for your replies. Could you clarify this:

Make sure that loss of signal action for normal flight is also set to Hover rather than RTH. QED.

Not sure what your intention there is.

The rest I'm clear on and without looking there's no "Land" setting for a particular given waypoint - thus the hover/forced landing setting at the end of the mission.

Thanks again ...

What @GadgetGuy is getting at is what should happen if you lose contact, the mission aborts for some reason, and is now subject to Failsafe RTH behavior?

This is a setting in the Safety section of DJI Fly settings.

This is also why such flying is currently prohibited. You are no longer aware of the danger the drone may present, nor are you in control of it.

Such a mission requires special planning, setup, and execution. At a bare minimum selecting a Home Point location easily reachable from the entire flight path within battery capacity that is guaranteed safe for the drone to fly to and land without operator connection and control. Then, set this HP immediately after takeoff and before starting the mission. Presumably the one-way mission is necessary because of insufficient battery to make it back.

Simply setting the RTH to hover is insufficient. Once signal is lost, you do not know where it may come down due to any number of issues.

Also, don't PLAN to be disconnected, then stand around having a few beers only to head to the landing spot at your leisure some time after the mission has completed. At a bare minimum you should have a driver and plan to follow the aircraft as best as possible, attempting to stay connected, meeting the aircraft at the destination.

Being disconnected from the aircraft should not be considered acceptable, ordinary operation. Flyaway and other anomalous behavior happens.

DJI drones are not built with all the redundancy and other hardware and software safety measures necessary for large area autonomous flight. As such, while executing a stored mission autonomously there is considerable safety risk to people and property should something go wrong, and simply hovering in place then landing at critical battery might actually increase that risk.

One way missions can now easily be programmed with Waypoints on the Mavic 3. Set loss of signal action to Continue Mission. If the end of the mission is set to Hover over your preplanned safe landing spot at the last Waypoint, it will safely Autoland at the Critical Battery level of 10%. Make sure that loss of signal action for normal flight is also set to Hover rather than RTH. QED.
Regardless of the offer of MightyPilot's post, accurate as it was, I now understand setting the "normal flight" loss of signal action to hover rather than RTH as oppossed to the loss of signal setting for a given waypoint.

Thanks to the both of you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929