DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Only positive interactions with bystanders on this flight

Manuforti

Reactions
Just thought I'd post this because it was different than some of the social media posts about acrimonious interactions when flying.

I was well off the path away from people. This is a suburban greenspace and there were lots of couples and people walking their dogs. I had 5 or 6 different groups/singles approach me and ask about the drone. The comments were all positive, interested, and polite. 3 of them asked me to post the video on the neighborhood Facebook page and one commented on the video that her disabled sister got to see her neighborhood as the leaves change. I got one "super cool" and another gentlemen asked if I could get his dog in the footage.

Cool.

Just thought I'd post this because it was different than some of the social media posts about acrimonious interactions when flying.

I was well off the path away from people. This is a suburban greenspace and there were lots of couples and people walking their dogs. I had 5 or 6 different groups/singles approach me and ask about the drone. The comments were all positive, interested, and polite. 3 of them asked me to post the video on the neighborhood Facebook page and one commented on the video that her disabled sister got to see her neighborhood as the leaves change. I got one "super cool" and another gentlemen asked if I could get his dog in the footage.

Cool.
Far more people are curious and interested than against - from my flying time. As long as you aren't acting like an @$$ and dive bombing or scaring people - they mostly seem oblivious to the drone until they see you with a RC and possibly a tablet (like I use).

Nothing but positive interactions do far and I hope to keep it that way. A little kindness and even showing them "how cool droning is" goes a long way. Esp on shots that they'd never see from ground level.

Peak their interest and they too may become a drone pilot.

Cool.
Much like the area I live in Melbourne. Fly high and respectfully and never have a problem. I even let their kids have a go. Just talking to passersby works wonders. Looks like you live in a very "pool" area. Great video

Cool.

Cool.
Looks amazing ,beautiful colours, really loved watching

I fly exclusively in Tonto National Forest in AZ because they allow droning as long as you follow the FAA rules & there are scenic trailheads 1/2 hr - 1 hr drive from where I live. I launch from dirt road pullouts & parking areas at trailheads, so I only encounter the occasional hiker. So far all of my encounters have been pretty benign. When people see me in my camp chair & orange landing pad, they immediately look up to see if they can spot my drone. Once in a while someone will approach me and ask where my drone is & I always point it out. My funniest encounter was a woman who cheered loudly (and unexpectedly) when I landed my Mini 2 on the landing pad.

Love the sunset!

So far I've only had positive responses at the park I fly at. I did have a neighbor come over while I was shooting my late father-in-law's house, though. She thought I was looking in her windows. Not even sure how she got that idea. She was cool once I talked to her, though.

Last Sunday, I took my drone up into the mountains around Eildon, North East Victoria. My only available take off location was a 2m wide track with the river on one side, and tall trees about 3 - 4 metres away on the other. There were occasional walkers passing by, so I posted spotters 20 or so metres away left and right. I took off, flew short distances (vlos very short in the forest, 100m at most) got my shots and video. Each time I returned home at 25-30%%, battery so I would have hover time if anyone approached, which happened, and my spotters called out even if the drone was well away from the landing area. I flew high so as not to bother people.

People looked up, saw the drone and walked on. I got my shots, they got their walks. No accidents or unpleasant exchanges. I walked through a nearby campsite with drone in hand on my way out. Again, no negativity.

Doing things by being safe, respectful and "hiding out in the open", I have never once had a bad experience and often get asked questions about the drone, opportunities which I use to educate people on the positives and also try to put their minds at rest about what is actually happening if they feel someone is encroaching in their space with a drone, ie its probably in transit, limited battery power, not necessarily recording, too high to see anything etc.

On other days, I practice flying in a local park. I pack all my gear into a very large backpack (it usually contains 2 drones in hard cases plus ipads, spares, wet weather gear and more. 26 Kilos in total) and fly seated on a rough wooden fence. I don't live in the area but take the opportunity to show strangers what I am doing when asked about the drone. Walking back to my car most nights I get hellos and smiles. I am apparently known as the guy who flies drones and carries a refrigerator on his back!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Love the sunset!

So far I've only had positive responses at the park I fly at. I did have a neighbor come over while I was shooting my late father-in-law's house, though. She thought I was looking in her windows. Not even sure how she got that idea. She was cool once I talked to her, though.
My local GP (MD), thinks a drone follows her too and from work every day all the way down the freeway and back. And hovers above her house 24/7 waiting for her to leave so someone can break in. She is a very good doctor. but .....

As my old North of England grandmother, in her Yorkshire dialect used to say "Thers nout su queer as folk". Translated that means " there is nothing so strange as people"

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Is it a conspiracy if they're really following you? :D
Spoke to my doctor yesterday. She thought it might be a military drone the neighbours have borrowed. I explained governments don't loan out M$ military drones filled with secrets out to people, and that it would be the size of a glider.

But we've had this conversation before. Might be time to change MDs

I think you should stay for the entertainment value. Then again, it depends on how much you value your health. ;)
She is an excellent MD, but the pressures of working from home for over 2 years, living on her own, several break-ins, and Covid crazy patients are taking their toll. I might go over to her house to check out this military drone for her.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98