DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Only white images from Mavic 2?

Parkerjh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I shot a bunch of single image RAW photos yesterday with Mavic 2. Everything looked fine on controller. I shot a dozen videos for this client too. They do their own editing so I didn't even bother to look at the RAW files in Lightroom. Sent to client last night.

Client says, "when I open, I just get white squares". I had no idea what that meant. So I imported to Lightroom just now.... and sure enough, just white.

I have been shooting for 10 years, have used this Mavic 100's of times, everything looked great on controller. All the other jobs I did on this drone & SD card later in day were fine.

I was shooting photos and videos when this happened and again, the videos were all fine.

What might have happened?

LR.png

(forgot to mention, the file sizes are exactly what the other DNG files were with successful shots rest of the day --- roughly 24MB)

I shot a bunch of single image RAW photos yesterday with Mavic 2. Everything looked fine on controller. I shot a dozen videos for this client too. They do their own editing so I didn't even bother to look at the RAW files in Lightroom. Sent to client last night.

Client says, "when I open, I just get white squares". I had no idea what that meant. So I imported to Lightroom just now.... and sure enough, just white.

I have been shooting for 10 years, have used this Mavic 100's of times, everything looked great on controller. All the other jobs I did on this drone & SD card later in day were fine.

I was shooting photos and videos when this happened and again, the videos were all fine.

What might have happened?

View attachment 140193
Have you had the chance to send the drone up again? I'd do that and see if the following images are also just white. Maybe the exposure or aperature if you shoot with manual?

Have you had the chance to send the drone up again? I'd do that and see if the following images are also just white. Maybe the exposure or aperature if you shoot with manual?
Yes, like I say, all the other images I shot the remainder of the day were perfectly fine. I was using Smart Controller and the images look perfect. There isn't any way that I could have exposure set so high that all the images are 100% white with zero other detail. Like I say, I have been shooting for a decade and 1,000's and 1,000's of jobs. It is certainly possible there was some other error on my part but I'm trying to figure out what it could have possibly been.

My only other guess would be that something was blocking the camera but then I'd think that would create a black image so that sort of falls apart. Other than that, I can think of nothing else.

I found this link:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/files-are-corrupted-by-lightroom-white-rectangle/td-p/1476364

SD card could be going bad, DG converter not updated , Upload your file Let us open with a few apps might help.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your M3 in the Rain, Land on the Water > Light Up the Sky.

thanks for that link, appreciate it.

Just bizarre to me that this was one chunk of images. All the ones later in the day were perfectly fine and all of the video files were fine.

They went straight from the SD card and immediately sent to client via Google Drive.

I didn't touch the files or import them into Lightroom until the following day after client mentioned the issue. So it is not a Lightroom issue.

And if you import one of those white ones & open it up in the Lightroom develop tab ... still totally white?

Yes, nothing is there at all.

Oh well, I guess I will chalk it up to a one-time glitch and not worry about it if it doesn't happen again. It is slightly unnerving though as I often shoot far away or one-time events. In this case it was a simple real estate job only 30 minutes away so the reshoot didn't really kill me today but could have been a disaster.

Thanks very much everyone for your help

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
thanks for that link, appreciate it.

Just bizarre to me that this was one chunk of images. All the ones later in the day were perfectly fine and all of the video files were fine.

They went straight from the SD card and immediately sent to client via Google Drive.

I didn't touch the files or import them into Lightroom until the following day after client mentioned the issue. So it is not a Lightroom issue.

Yes, nothing is there at all.

Oh well, I guess I will chalk it up to a one-time glitch and not worry about it if it doesn't happen again. It is slightly unnerving though as I often shoot far away or one-time events. In this case it was a simple real estate job only 30 minutes away so the reshoot didn't really kill me today but could have been a disaster.

Thanks very much everyone for your help
On the farther jobs, I would bring a laptop with me to check the images before you leave just to be on the safe side...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute