DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OOps, stepped outside the box...

Badgersurfer

Reactions
Well that was a baptism of fire. I stick usually stick to the rules explicitly but as i was flying over agricutralland I have permission on and was trying to do a POI but the sweep went out my 500m so I returned changed my battery and then went on the same mission and changed m range from 500m to 600m mid flight to 600m. It was fine so I continued then when I got to 1900 ft horiz and about 150ft vert I had a lost connection error. I didn't know if it was the lead or what. I had no control but I did invoke the RTH on the controller and it said returning home or something to that effect. I then paused button to see if I could get the connection back to the CS Ultra but no joy so I pressed RTH again on the controller and when it was home i took over and landed it manually. Can someone tell me what happened. I had not info on my flight log on the CS but maybe it is on my Mavic SD card. There is nothing under LOG folder only IDX has 2 files THM has 23 XCODE empty. What files are needed to analyse it?

my friend how can you do a point of interest at 500m let alone 600m,are you getting your measurements mixed up then you suddenly change to feet i am confused ,perhaps you mean a waypoints mission

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
my friend how can you do a point of interest at 500m let alone 600m,are you getting your measurements mixed up then you suddenly change to feet i am confused ,perhaps you mean a waypoints mission
Haha, I see where you are coming from. Let me elaborate my POI was 500 meters away so I wanted to rotate around it about 30 metres which would take me to 530 metres beyond my max set range total. (It does actaully tell you it something like you will exceed your range) So I increased my max range to 600 metres to enable me to do so. When I got to 1900 feet I was going to enable the POI but that's when it lost connection. I have looked at th video and that was fin all the way back to home as it induced RTH itself. But the screen went black and the staus bar was orange saying lost connection. I was surprised it could be out of range at such a close distance as there were no obstructions and I figured it would come back on when the drone came closer. But is stayed the same until I returned and restarted the app.I wonder if the lead (as I was using the PGYTECH lead) failed which crashed the app. The PGYTECH cable has only done a few flights but I noticed the wires at the CS end are showing where the outer insulation has either split or come out. The controller was showing the return information i.e. range etc as it was returning but thee CS was showing no connection. I hope this helps.

Reactions: old man mavic
thanks i completely misundastood you there, couple of things spring to mind if you were only 150ft high then,at the distance you were at you would probably have been experiencing signal degradation from trees ,and the signal being scattered from bouncing off the ground, thats why it often comes back if you go up another 100 ft ,or so you would be better off trying if possible to get a lot closer to the POI you wish to film, as at large distances it is almost impossible to tell what your surroundings are and whether there are any tall obstacles in your flight path

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
thanks i completely misundastood you there, couple of things spring to mind if you were only 150ft high then,at the distance you were at you would probably have been experiencing signal degradation from trees ,and the signal being scattered from bouncing off the ground, thats why it often comes back if you go up another 100 ft ,or so you would be better off trying if possible to get a lot closer to the POI you wish to film, as at large distances it is almost impossible to tell what your surroundings are and whether there are any tall obstacles in your flight path
I see what you say, there were only 1 apple tree (Lanes Prince Albert) and a Hawthorn tree between me and the drone. I have flown this route half a dozen times with my range set to max 500m and it has been fine, but I am surprised I only added another 100 meters and it kakked out.
So the rule of thumb here is to stay within the law whatever.
Should the DJI Go4 app on the CS Ultra not have reconnected as soon as it came back in range? I pressed the pause button on the controller while the MPP was RTHing and it stopped and waited until I instigated RTH again. In this situation (paused) could I have tried to close the Go4 app and restarted it without issues ?

I see what you say, there were only 1 apple tree (Lanes Prince Albert) and a Hawthorn tree between me and the drone. I have flown this route half a dozen times with my range set to max 500m and it has been fine, but I am surprised I only added another 100 meters and it kakked out.
So the rule of thumb here is to stay within the law whatever.
Should the DJI Go4 app on the CS Ultra not have reconnected as soon as it came back in range? I pressed the pause button on the controller while the MPP was RTHing and it stopped and waited until I instigated RTH again. In this situation (paused) could I have tried to close the Go4 app and restarted it without issues ?
many things can influence disconnects and i dont think for one minute that going over the 500m mark would have caused it ,all that would happen is at 500m it would have geofenced and a message max distance reached would have appeared on the screen there have been a few thunderstorms around today which can effect signal transmittion sometimes just a device getting too hot will cause a disconnect

many things can influence disconnects and i dont think for one minute that going over the 500m mark would have caused it ,all that would happen is at 500m it would have geofenced and a message max distance reached would have appeared on the screen there have been a few thunderstorms around today which can effect signal transmittion sometimes just a device getting too hot will cause a disconnect
I there any way of clarifying what went wrong? It would be nice to know if the controller lost signal to the drone, or if the cable or app failed.
Of course this more disconcerting because I am new to drones. Probably you seasoned fliers wouldn't be phased by it.
The consolation is of course that it returned to home.
Is there an app available that I can analyse the trip to try and find out what actually failed, I understand there is a black box type system.

I there any way of clarifying what went wrong? It would be nice to know if the controller lost signal to the drone, or if the cable or app failed.
Of course this more disconcerting because I am new to drones. Probably you seasoned fliers wouldn't be phased by it.
The consolation is of course that it returned to home.
Is there an app available that I can analyse the trip to try and find out what actually failed, I understand there is a black box type system.
airdata will provide a lot of in flight data but there is a a monthly fee if you want the complete package go on their website and you will see whats available

Reactions: Badgersurfer
So the rule of thumb here is to stay within the law whatever

I fired up the DJI Assistant 2 PC app as I read that you can look at your flight logs in there. I exported the Black Box which created a load of log files, but when I ran the Flight Data it wanted me to find a .dat file. There wasn't one on the SD card. Also it said something about finding a resource manager folder which again didn't exist. Is this something I was supposed to enable. I am confused

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000