DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Operating Temperature

Mini6ix

Reactions
SO looking for some advice from those who fly in the winter. Living in Canada means that a portion of my flight time is in sub zero temperatures ( currently -10C here) and I am curious if there is any damage I can do the the drone/ camera by flying when it is this cold.

I know the battery life will be shortened but other than that any one have an experience in cold winter flying?

Watchout for ice on the props! Use glycol to prevent this.

Thanks my friend.. Do you ever get condensation on/ in your camera lens. I am worried that coming in from such cold to a warm environment may cause the legs to fog up. Any suggestions ?

I've had issues in the past with condensation forming inside of my camera lenses. I'm sure anything that gets real cold and then brought into a warm humid area will develop condensation.

Also Lithium batteries are known for very poor performance in really cold weather.

I've had issues in the past with condensation forming inside of my camera lenses. I'm sure anything that gets real cold and then brought into a warm humid area will develop condensation.

Also Lithium batteries are known for very poor performance in really cold weather.

How did you correct the problem.. I don't want to be ground all winter LOL.. I just got my mini yesterday , on. a side note.. I did not realize that you can save video footage directly to your phone without an SD card.. it was a nice surprise.

Wait. Sucky answer, but other than that you take it a part to wipe clean the inside of the lense. Which I've never done. Worst part is eventually you will have tiny dried out water spots that can blur the view.

Maybe someone else can chime in with a better answer.

if you have something like a porch that is not heated but is still indoors then if you place the drone in its case in that space for an hour to get acclimatised then it wont be really warm when you eventually go outside keep the batteries in the warm and carry them in an inside pocket of your coat when you fly

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks my friend.. Do you ever get condensation on/ in your camera lens. I am worried that coming in from such cold to a warm environment may cause the legs to fog up. Any suggestions ?
Going out into the cold doesn’t cause any condenstation, as you know. ? It’s when coming back in that moisture condenses.

Put the cold drone into an airtight container before it enters a heated space (including your vehicle). Don’t break the air seal until the drone is at room temperature.

A zip-lock bag is enough, but easily compromised. Squeeze out all the air you can to allow for expansion as it warms up.

Few plastic “storage boxes“ are actually airtight; be sure, if you use one, that it is.

Do this and condensation will never happen. As Martha Stewart would say, that’s a good thing. Thumbswayup

SO looking for some advice from those who fly in the winter. Living in Canada means that a portion of my flight time is in sub zero temperatures ( currently -10C here) and I am curious if there is any damage I can do the the drone/ camera by flying when it is this cold.

I know the battery life will be shortened but other than that any one have an experience in cold winter flying?

Flew today in -3C about 26F worked like a champ no condensation, just don't go from -3C to +25C hot car, Place it in the box outside of the car and let it slowly warm.
Battery life was not affected much, I was blown away how long this thing can fly, my hands were frozen way before the battery would hit any low power limit.

Going out into the cold doesn’t cause any condenstation, as you know. ? It’s when coming back in that moisture condenses.

Put the cold drone into an airtight container before it enters a heated space (including your vehicle). Don’t break the air seal until the drone is at room temperature.

A zip-lock bag is enough, but easily compromised. Squeeze out all the air you can to allow for expansion as it warms up.

Few plastic “storage boxes“ are actually airtight; be sure, if you use one, that it is.

Do this and condensation will never happen. As Martha Stewart would say, that’s a good thing. Thumbswayup
thank you for spotting my mistake in my post #7 i got warm and outside backwards ,should have said it wont be really cold when you go inside, Thomas B knew what i meant

Reactions: Thomas B

Great idea!! Thanks for the information, went out an bought some heavy duty ziplocs.... i really would like to shoot in a light snow fall and watch it slowed down!

i am really impressed with this drone, i have read posts with guys knocking the performance of this drone but I was really impressed. I flew it today in some pretty high wind and cold and it worked like a charm...pretty happy with value for money!!

Flew today in -3C about 26F worked like a champ no condensation, just don't go from -3C to +25C hot car, Place it in the box outside of the car and let it slowly warm.
Battery life was not affected much, I was blown away how long this thing can fly, my hands were frozen way before the battery would hit any low power limit.

Where did you fly.. I see you are in Toronto as well? Any good site suggestions, I am off for a few days and looking to get out as long as it is not snowing to heavily!!

Mini6ix, I am just north of you. I fly in the cold weather all the time. I don’t have a Mini but have flown my Spark and Phantom 3 Standard in weather as cold as -25C without any problems.

That being said you need to be aware of a few things you don’t have to worry about in warmer weather:
-> keep your batteries warm before flight either in your pockets or use a battery warmer. I have not found that my batteries lose much time in the cold as they will warm up in flight. Just make sure you land before the battery gets too low. I usually land around 30 - 35%.
-> Your fingers and toes will get cold fast. Good gloves with hand warmers are handy. I usually do not fly with gloves as I find them too cumbersome. I warm my hands in my gloves between flights.
-> if you calibrate your IMU in cold weather it will decrease the time the AC needs to warm up
-> your phone or display device is affected by the cold too. Unlike the AC batteries which warm up in flight, this is not so with the phone so expect shorter life. I often put mine in my pocket between flights. Also, the cold will often affect the touch sensitivity of your phone or it may shut off prematurely so be prepared to fly it back without a display and any telemetry.
-> as others have said, let warm up gradually when returning home. I just keep mine in their cases and have never had problems with condensation
-> gimbal pitch may or may not be affected by cold. With my Spark the gimbal pitch sometimes sticks and I have to pitch it up and down a few times to free it. On my Phantom I have never had a problem.

Hope these suggestions help. Enjoy your new Mini.

Chris

Reactions: Rockycat
Mini6ix, I am just north of you. I fly in the cold weather all the time. I don’t have a Mini but have flown my Spark and Phantom 3 Standard in weather as cold as -25C without any problems.

That being said you need to be aware of a few things you don’t have to worry about in warmer weather:
-> keep your batteries warm before flight either in your pockets or use a battery warmer. I have not found that my batteries lose much time in the cold as they will warm up in flight. Just make sure you land before the battery gets too low. I usually land around 30 - 35%.
-> Your fingers and toes will get cold fast. Good gloves with hand warmers are handy. I usually do not fly with gloves as I find them too cumbersome. I warm my hands in my gloves between flights.
-> if you calibrate your IMU in cold weather it will decrease the time the AC needs to warm up
-> your phone or display device is affected by the cold too. Unlike the AC batteries which warm up in flight, this is not so with the phone so expect shorter life. I often put mine in my pocket between flights. Also, the cold will often affect the touch sensitivity of your phone or it may shut off prematurely so be prepared to fly it back without a display and any telemetry.
-> as others have said, let warm up gradually when returning home. I just keep mine in their cases and have never had problems with condensation
-> gimbal pitch may or may not be affected by cold. With my Spark the gimbal pitch sometimes sticks and I have to pitch it up and down a few times to free it. On my Phantom I have never had a problem.

Hope these suggestions help. Enjoy your new Mini.

Chris

Thanks Chris..
I appreciate the information and tips.. Already bought a couple hand warmers for myself but did not think of them for the batteries. Great idea... planning on heading down to take some shots tomorrow and will definitely do these things.

Any suggestions for some decent places to fly around the GTA?

Kevin

Thanks Chris..
I appreciate the information and tips.. Already bought a couple hand warmers for myself but did not think of them for the batteries. Great idea... planning on heading down to take some shots tomorrow and will definitely do these things.

Any suggestions for some decent places to fly around the GTA?

Kevin
I usually don’t use the hand warmers for the batteries as they can get pretty warm. Putting the batteries in your pocket should work.

I haven’t flown in the GTA mostly in Barrie area. You can download UAV Forecast on your phone and it will give you a good idea of safe places to fly. Also, AirMap is another app. I like UAV Forecast as it gives lots of info. Here’s a couple of screenshots.

40FF8AB7-F242-4C3E-955F-8E7E77FAA710.png

AE307B2A-EA6A-4C92-A512-661EDD0245AE.png

Hope this helps.
Chris

Were offering a New Wet Suit called the ARTIC Wet Suit . Mavic 2 / Mavic Pro / Enterprise

Its designed to insulate the Battery will a Tripple layer of Closed Cell Neoprene
that will seal the battery shut air tight and keep the Battery 8 to 10 degrees warmer.

The Dual Layer on the drone itself also provides extra heat all the way around the drone

It is a little heavier than the Standard Mavic Wet Suits for the Drone as it weighs 5.5 ounces

I have yet to post them on the Website ,

Email me if your interested and I will send you some pictures of the
One i was flying today.

[email protected]

Phantomrain.org
Elite Gear to fly your Mavic !
Coal

Edited the Weight of the Mavic Mini Wet Suit is 0.03 ounces. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Were offering a New Wet Suit called the ARTIC Wet Suit .

Its designed to insulate the Battery will a Tripple layer of Closed Cell Neoprene
that will seal the battery shut air tight and keep the Battery 8 to 10 degrees warmer.

The Dual Layer on the drone itself also provides extra heat all the way around the drone

It is a little heavier than the Standard Mavic Wet Suits for the Drone as it weighs 5.5 ounces

I have yet to post them on the Website ,

Email me if your interested and I will send you some pictures of the
One i was flying today.

[email protected]

Phantomrain.org
Elite Gear to fly your Mavic !
Coal
I really don’t see the need for a wetsuit in this situation. I think it is overkill.

Keeping the batteries in a pocket close to your body works fine and the Mavic Mini batteries being small won’t be a problem fitting into any pocket.

What happens in the summer? Toronto can get some pretty warm temps, so I would not be wanting to increase the temperatures 8 to 10 degrees warmer.

Adding 5.5 ounces to a Mini puts it way over the 249g. By my calculations that is an additional 155g. The OP would then have to take the Pilot exam and register his drone with Transport Canada. Kind of defeats the purpose of an ultra lite fully featured entry level drone.

Chris

I really don’t see the need for a wetsuit in this situation. I think it is overkill.

Keeping the batteries in a pocket close to your body works fine and the Mavic Mini batteries being small won’t be a problem fitting into any pocket.

What happens in the summer? Toronto can get some pretty warm temps, so I would not be wanting to increase the temperatures 8 to 10 degrees warmer.

Adding 5.5 ounces to a Mini puts it way over the 249g. By my calculations that is an additional 155g. The OP would then have to take the Pilot exam and register his drone with Transport Canada. Kind of defeats the purpose of an ultra lite fully featured entry level drone.

Chris

Sorry Chris, was not aware that this post was for the Mavic Mini:
The weight of the Mavic MinI Wet Suit is 0.03 ounces.

Thank you for the Heads up.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest