DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Operations in the Busiest USA port: Cruise ships, container ships, tugs, tankers, barges and more

veryzebra

Reactions
Two days worth of video shipspotting in the busiest port in the US, Port NY and NJ. Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, barges, tugs but no bulk carriers in this one. Includes footage of containers unloading and the rail mounted gantries at the Global Container Terminal. Come see the sunset on the Hudson, evening in the container terminal or the day on the Kill Van Kull.

Two days worth of video shipspotting in the busiest port in the US, Port NY and NJ. Container ships, tankers, cruise ships, barges, tugs but no bulk carriers in this one. Includes footage of containers unloading and the rail mounted gantries at the Global Container Terminal. Come see the sunset on the Hudson, evening in the container terminal or the day on the Kill Van Kull.
Very well done! Impressive and very stable manoeuvres! (imho, the flight right towards the ship bridge was something I’d avoid). I’m a big fan of ships and harbour footage.

One Q pls: Did you at any stage recognise interference between the ships’ or harbour radar systems etc. and your drone’s response to your sticks inputs or its stability in the sky?

Thank you!

Reactions: mavictk
Thanks. Please keep in mind this is the Mavic 3 and many of those shots are zoomed way in. Specifically the ship's bridge which is one of the reasons it pulls back so fast. I also frequently use explore mode which I know many don't like but the zoom capabilities are incredible. This is a busy area so there is always interference since it's in a metropolitan area. Actually I see your name has Mavic 3 in it, lol sorry about over-simplifying with the zoom comments, but at times folks ask me how I get so close but most of those times it's zoom. Makes it hard to be steady but if you shoot more and edit more you'll get it. Thanks for the comments, greatly appreciate it. Since you're in Ireland, hope you caught the video about the BigLift Baffin.

Fabulous and involving video. I love ships anyway but you subject matter and editing are for me first class. See Seaspan Emissary is now off the the Northern coast of Sumatra en route to the Suez. What a life!

Great video! I was in the Coast Guard back in the 1980's and one of my duty stations was in NYC. I worked at the Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) and was required to know every buoy, docks, waterways, etc. Also was required to ride the ships and out of port from/to the sea buoy. Pretty impressive operation on the larger carriers. Loved the video and looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks. Please keep in mind this is the Mavic 3 and many of those shots are zoomed way in. Specifically the ship's bridge which is one of the reasons it pulls back so fast. I also frequently use explore mode which I know many don't like but the zoom capabilities are incredible. This is a busy area so there is always interference since it's in a metropolitan area. Actually I see your name has Mavic 3 in it, lol sorry about over-simplifying with the zoom comments, but at times folks ask me how I get so close but most of those times it's zoom. Makes it hard to be steady but if you shoot more and edit more you'll get it. Thanks for the comments, greatly appreciate it. Since you're in Ireland, hope you caught the video about the BigLift Baffin.
Thanks for your interesting reply!
Wow re the zoom. It’s something I need to practice with a lot more.

Respect for striding the interference too & interesting for me the flights still worked out so well.

I flew near a single cruise ship in August, and the drone became very hard to control, despite flying in mild weather and outside any flight restricted zones. I had to rth as result.

Fabulous and involving video. I love ships anyway but you subject matter and editing are for me first class. See Seaspan Emissary is now off the the Northern coast of Sumatra en route to the Suez. What a life!
Thank you. Super appreciate the comments. Yeah, it's crazy cool to see them leave the harbor then follow them and a few days later see them in the Panama Canal, or doing a Suez passage. Those vehicle carriers seem to make it to Europe super quick too. Interesting to see them enter the South China sea and learn about things like how the west coast of Africa is becoming more dangerous etc. Definitely interesting to learn about.

Reactions: twickers14
Great video! I was in the Coast Guard back in the 1980's and one of my duty stations was in NYC. I worked at the Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) and was required to know every buoy, docks, waterways, etc. Also was required to ride the ships and out of port from/to the sea buoy. Pretty impressive operation on the larger carriers. Loved the video and looking forward to seeing more!
That sounds like a really cool role. The entire operations is amazingly to see in action. I've really struggled at learning all the berths and areas but it's an area I improve on every time I go. There's a really cool video of the BigLift Baffin on my channel from when it brought 3 cranes over from Cork to the Maher Terminal where they are trying to get to 0 carbon footprint. When they went under the Bayonne Bridge there was less than a foot of clearance. Crazy, but slow, to watch. Only exciting if you knew how close it would be. I have more that goes up each week. Thank you.

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
Thanks. Yeah, the zoom feature is the main reason I ended up with the Mavic3, well plus the battery life... I fly with the RC-Pro and it's so easy to scroll in to zoom and back out. I've been able to zoom in and read a ship name from a few miles away. Granted it may not be picture worthy at that point, but you can then go to marinetraffic or elsewhere and figure out what's going on and catch it when it's closer.

That's interesting about the cruise ship. I'm never far so maybe it just has better connectivity, dunno. I do get interference when I fly around some of the old abandoned infrastructure like old cement viaducts in NJ though.

WONDERFUL flying and footage. I could have watched these all day long! My favorite part, of course, was the hyperlapse.

Dale
Miami

Most of my flying is at sea, where there is no interference from a surrounding city as in the video.
I've flown thousands of kilometres around hundreds of ships and never yet encountered any interference from the ships equipment.
I'd be more than surprised if the issue had anything at all to do with the ship or its equipment.

That sounds like a really cool role. The entire operations is amazingly to see in action. I've really struggled at learning all the berths and areas but it's an area I improve on every time I go. There's a really cool video of the BigLift Baffin on my channel from when it brought 3 cranes over from Cork to the Maher Terminal where they are trying to get to 0 carbon footprint. When they went under the Bayonne Bridge there was less than a foot of clearance. Crazy, but slow, to watch. Only exciting if you knew how close it would be. I have more that goes up each week. Thank you.
Yeah, it was a pretty cool job actually. And I did watch that video of yours of the BigLift Baffin. Very cool! Any video with ships in it is a favorite of mine. Keep them coming!

Reactions: veryzebra
Really cool footage, really enjoyed that, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: veryzebra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98