DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Operator & Flyer ID on lost drone

Jeremy Clark

Reactions
Hi everyone
So, the bad news is after 12 months, I've had my first major crash with my MA2 with the drone ending up stuck about 150ft up in thick fir trees. I can hear it beeping & see the flashing "Find My Drone" light, but there is no way to access it. It's way too high to climb the tree, even with a ladder, & despite vigorous shaking at the bottom, it seems well & truly stuck. I'm insured so in the process of a claim & Coverdrone sounded positive when I called them, so fingers crossed it will be replaced.
My question is about the flyer & operator stickers on the drone. Hopefully, if / when it eventually falls down, if someone finds it, you'd hope they'd contact me. However, what if they didn't, kept & repaired it, bought a controller & flew the drone. If they then damaged property or god forbid, a person, and the drone was found, still with my ID's on, would I be liable? How would I prove it wasn't me flying?
Look forward to receiving any comments

@Jeremy Clark in order for them to be able to fly the drone they would have to set it up with their own App and Email Address ,the same as what happens when a drone is sold and the new owner registers it even if those stickers were left on the drone, then even if they tried to use them after a accident ,then it would show your name and not theirs ,so you would be able to show that you were not the person flying it at the time

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi everyone
So, the bad news is after 12 months, I've had my first major crash with my MA2 with the drone ending up stuck about 150ft up in thick fir trees. I can hear it beeping & see the flashing "Find My Drone" light, but there is no way to access it. It's way too high to climb the tree, even with a ladder, & despite vigorous shaking at the bottom, it seems well & truly stuck. I'm insured so in the process of a claim & Coverdrone sounded positive when I called them, so fingers crossed it will be replaced.
My question is about the flyer & operator stickers on the drone. Hopefully, if / when it eventually falls down, if someone finds it, you'd hope they'd contact me. However, what if they didn't, kept & repaired it, bought a controller & flew the drone. If they then damaged property or god forbid, a person, and the drone was found, still with my ID's on, would I be liable? How would I prove it wasn't me flying?
Look forward to receiving any comments
You can contact the CAA and let them know you no longer own the drone.

Reactions: Jeremy Clark
I am sure you have thought about using a rescue drone. Possibly the trees would make it impossible so send one up and try to snag or even drape some nylon string over the branch and shake the fool out of it?